Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Marigolds are yellow
Daffodils too
So are some tulips
#LibDemFightback

I was never really one for romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

He's not quite sure what year it is but other than that, very entertaining if nothing else.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The PMQs Zinger of the Week™: May about Corbyn - "He can lead a protest, I'm leading a country."

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

What did Corbyn ask about Brexit?

Ctrl+F-ing "brexit" on the BBC's feed:

"Jeremy Corbyn is on his feet. He pays a heartfelt tribute to Tam Dalyell, saying his doggedness over issues ranging from the miner''s strike to Iraq made Parliament a better place. He says he recommends the late MP's autobiography - titled The Importance of Being Awkward - and it should be required reading for Brexit Secretary David Davis."

So, um, not a lot.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

ukle posted:

This thread has found a new low.

Catheter chat is far worse than Train or Rowing chat.

I find it fascinating that whatever the subject, half the thread can call upon their personal experiences of it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I think a lot of people old enough to remember us joining in the first place are aware that situations change, and that it looked a far better prospect in the 70s than how it actually turned out to be.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Zephro posted:

Unfortunately this isn't the message that was heard, the message that was heard was apparently "kick all the foreigners out, ditch our biggest trading partner, and lube up so we can sell the NHS to The Great Orange Baboon".

If people wanted more houses built the way to do it was probably by lobbying local government and by supporting MPs or parties who support more houses being built. Voting to leave the EU, which has precisely nothing to do with how many houses get built, is like trying to fix a leaky tap by ordering a new television: utterly unrelated to the problem and therefore totally insane.

The idea of leaving was to force out the foreigners living in currently existing homes, and to stop immigrants from taking/buying them up, not to build new ones.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'll probably grab the graphs/charts from the White Paper as they're the easiest to digest. Here's the immigration one for starters, since it's immediately relevant:

HJB fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 2, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, here's an Imgur gallery of the charts - http://imgur.com/a/kMnoV

This is the most visually interesting one:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/i/moments/827149090614079489

Good spot that.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

They stopped for an unknown event, which left them unable to continue.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Quote on the Victoria Derbyshire show: "Some parts of the UK are experiencing outbreaks of tuberculosis that are higher than much poorer countries like Yemen and Iraq."

I was surprised by this, so i had a look for the numbers. According to the most updated stats by country (from 2015), Yemen has 48 cases per 100k people, while Iraq has 43. So going by this snapshot of the UK it is true, but only for a couple of parts of London, and possibly, what, Leicester? Everywhere else is pretty nominal thankfully.

E: Explanation for Leicester: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/city-hotspot-tb/story-15978560-detail/story.html

HJB fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 3, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

baka kaba posted:

The leadership of the top two parties has historically indulged in the exact same rhetoric though, arguably for longer than Farage. It's not like he bent the narrative to his whim, he just helped pull it along, and stood to benefit the most from everything going to poo poo

He's definitely got media skills, even before UKIP was popular he was pretty much guarantee a spot on any news report about anything if he wanted it. But the Tories and Labour to an extent set the scene and legitimised this scapegoating, UKIP was just more committed to running with it

He makes sure his voice is heard on every issue. I think the BBC gave more airtime to his EU Parliament appearance than anything else that day.

baka kaba posted:

Hell maybe Boris Johnson is the most successful - he's credited with starting the whole 'lie about the bonkers EU' strain of journalism that completely took over and shaped people's views of what the EU actually does. What did he say, he enjoyed throwing these reports over the channel and hearing the crash on the other side? Well he definitely went big on that in the end

He was definitely responsible for the £350m figure that was so callous that even Farage disassociated himself with him as soon as he could, so yeah, maybe.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Poor old migrant vegetables, shouting "Lettuce in!", only for Nigel Cabbage to deny them.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Something a bit lighter for a Friday, that I've just spotted - John Bercow opens tennis dome at University of Essex.

quote:

Our impressive new tennis dome at Colchester Campus has been officially opened by alumnus and House of Commons Speaker the Rt Hon John Bercow MP.

Speaking at the opening, Mr Bercow fondly remembered his time at Essex, when he played for the University tennis team.

“It is a thrill to be here to see how magnificent this new facility is,” he said. “I am passionate about sport and the fact that the university is providing new facilities like this is wonderful thing.”

Accompanied by a top pic:

When later asked to explain the choice of hoodie, Bercow responded:

https://fuwa.se/p/FweRTK.webm

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4192022/Nigel-Farage-sharing-pad-French-politician.html

Interesting that it's the Daily Mail who have turned on him. The top comment, which is anti-Brexit, even has more upvotes than downvotes.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's a Mail on Sunday story. Different editor (who by all accounts loathes Paul Dacre), but a shared online platform.

That's true. Wouldn't change the comments though (I think).

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The "Revoke the BBC's charter" petition got a response, which reads like a copy-pasted press release, but it's there for anyone to read if they wish.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

LAB 36.1% (+15.5)
UKIP 16.3 (-3.1)

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

He's very cosmopolitan, isn't he? German wife, French mistress, it's like he doesn't hate the EU at all!

Stewart Lee is a oval office, water is wet.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I thought Stewart Lee was a UKMT favourite ?

It's okay, it's just his character switching sides.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

They might as well just headline that with 'stupid old white racists voted leave' but we kinda knew that already didn't we.

The more I see data like that the more I come to accept that Brexit will be an unequivocal success out of otherworldly spite.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB posted:

The more I see data like that the more I come to accept that Brexit will be an unequivocal success out of otherworldly spite.

:siren: DISCLAIMER :siren: I'm not a Remoaner that's desperate to see this country fail.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Obviously it differs based on what part of the country you are in

Thus we come to the crux of arguments like that.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Farmland is terrible, as I said before. But you're just being an arse with the last thing. Why is it so impossible that some people should love the natural world and mourn its loss?

It's not, they're just racist if they do, or worse, middle class. Honestly I've been fascinated by this whole argument today, it's a new one to me.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's not impossible, I just think it highly unlikely that a majority of the people who claim to love "the countryside" and get real loving arsy about the prospect of other people living in it, are really just avid naturalists rather than just being classist and/or racist bellends.

Y'know, what with the countryside being full of loving tories and poshos.

I live near the countryside, but the absolute happiest thing about it is the large housing developments because each one means someone who doesn't have a house will have one, and they get to have one in a nice place.

I have no tolerance or patience for NIMBYs. Especially not the loving shithead liberal they elected to the council on basically a "gently caress off we're full" platform.

gently caress people who whinge about the sanctity of a loving farm field when people are sleeping on the street.

This is five edits and counting, go get some sleep, it's not worth fretting about in here, your anger ultimately doesn't lie with UKMT posters.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Laradus posted:

As it's sort of valid to the discussion (I wasn't going to post it otherwise), there was a YouGov poll yesterday from a sample of Britain and other countries with their opinions on who needs the other most - article and data here;

Most Brits think the EU needs the UK at least as much as the UK needs the EU.

And the two graphs for quick reference (hopefully they work);

I've fixed your graphs for you. Thing is, if the EU happens to dissolve within a generation or so of us leaving, then technically "we" (and Norway) are right.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I don't know about that, but I do know Wikipedia has stopped all attributions and citations linked from The Daily Mail due to the sheer number of lies that rag prints

As amusing as it is, I think it's more to do with stuff like this than anything else:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

So it is possible to blindly accuse everyone of racism until you get your way.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As pointed out in Private Eye's 'Medicine Balls' column for the January issue, Labour can't even win an opinion poll that the NHS would be safer in their hands right now, and depressingly it's no surprise. If you can't win on the NHS right now what can you win? :britain:

I don't think Labour are going to win any opinion polls at this point in time.

Which of the following parties is The Labour Party?

Conservative..43%
Don't Know....31%
Labour........26%

Fair play to the Mirror though:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I wouldn't expect a UKIP surge. They're a single issue party who've achieved their aim and the Tories are a more seriously regarded party who have taken up hard brexit as an aim.

UKIP are going from strength to strength in the east, trust me, they're trying to firmly establish themselves as the party of the working class.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

They're trying that, yeah. I'll believe they're succeeding when I see it. Barring massive electoral reform, they're going to struggle to get more MPs.

It's true they're not going to oust the Tories any time soon.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I was looking for some content for my thread in NMD (warning: plug), and spotted this motion - http://www.parliament.uk/edm/1997-98/565 . Some familiar names there.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

dex_sda posted:

The mail continues to gently caress with Gary Lineker apparently. Those fuckers need to be put against the wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4205880/Gary-Lineker-saves-fortune-avoiding-tax-schemes.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...r-a7571181.html

The Mail see themselves as a Test Your Strength machine, with Lineker being the bell at the top. If they can get rid of him from MOTD, they win, that's their goal.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

HJB posted:

I was looking for some content for my thread in NMD (warning: plug), and spotted this motion - http://www.parliament.uk/edm/1997-98/565 . Some familiar names there.

I've even found something related to the Di chat:

Skinty McEdger posted:

The mail had yet another pro Corbyn puff piece today, making it three weekends in a row. I'm pretty sure this is a bad sign.

Wait, what?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/830701303026167808

Interesting to see how this works out for them.

"Hello dear!"
"Did you get the milk, bread, and Article 50 bill amendments?"
"Even better than that..."

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The buying demographic was mostly working class adults, old ladies, and college kids.

Yep, I was about to post they appeal to the Countdown demographic.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Okay:

quote:

Now compare this list with the unemployed miner’s budget that I gave earlier. The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The half-crown spent on meat might represent a small joint and the materials for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes — an appalling diet. Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Looks like this is what set them off:

https://twitter.com/johnrmcluskey/status/748922144592101377

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I know a scary amount of people who didn't vote in the general election and actively ignore the news in favour of loving Hollyoaks.

This is pretty normal, and the latter is technically better for peace of mind. If the Simpsons-Fresh Prince combo was still around today I know what I'd be watching.

• Locked thread