Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TinTower posted:

UKIP have actually filed a formal complete with the (unelected :supaburn:) President of the European Parliament (who acts as speaker).

Special snowflakes.

e: Screenshot

I'm sure this person likes to rail against PC CULTURE and SAFE SPACES on a daily basis too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Farecoal posted:

Pissflaps who do you think should lead Labour?

Pissflaps is waiting for the inevitable rise of Cyber-Tony in the ashes of the Post-Trump wasteland

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

marktheando posted:

Really Labour are totally hosed now, they should just call it a day. They aren't the party of the working classes, or of the metropolitan elite. Corbyn can't even give a simple pro-gay rights statement without loving everything up and offending people, it's incredible. Even Trump can manage that!

settle down Beavis

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Beefeater1980 posted:

Or hardcore liberals whose main concern is opposing authoritarianism. That's never a majority position though because on its own it isn't a policy platform.

The lib dems are ok: they're a third party in a major democracy that isn't extremist. Their role is really to be someone you can vote for, in years when a tiebreaker is needed, that doesn't impose a crazy agenda on the two main parties. They perform this role fine as far as I can see: the worst of the coalition was "there were policies we didn't like and the junior coalition partner gave up some of its (main) campaign promises," whereas the fail state of politics is "political norms are totally disregarded and massive, life-changing decisions are taken on a whim," which is what we have now and probably what we would have had with an extreme right or left wing party in the LDs' place.

The Lib Dems wholeheartedly backed a campaign of ideological austerity which has literally killed people, openly betrayed one of their main voting blocks (students) and were played like a cheap fiddle by Cameron on the PR referendum. This is coming from a former Lib Dem voter who voted for them in 2010.

They could have backed out of the coalition early on when it was clear they were just along for the ride and probably been somewhat punished for it, but nowhere near the degree were hammered because Nick Clegg had to hang onto power for 5 years to assuage his ego

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 3, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Maybe Paul Nuttall can go back to the time honoured tradition of blaming the jewish media for his inevitable poor performance

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
My Gran probably voted Brexit, she got really upset when a bunch of MUSLIM women were seen at the doctor before her.

Apparently my point that they were probably also British and might have, you know, booked before her was just me being wrong

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
won't somebody please think of the poor defenceless fascists

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jippa posted:

Why aren't you all out panic buying lettuces?

Jokes on you, i've been panic buying courgettes for weeks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lettuce is really easy to grow yourself but attracts slugs like flies on poo poo

Lettuce is pretty poo poo though, I basically only use it when i'm losing weight on a low carb diet and need some kind of vehicle to carry the rest of the dinner

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

e/ and yeah takes the focus off what the protest is about and puts it on the protestors

Pretty sure that is the SWPs intention tbh

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Because the right always keep on message and never, ever split over issues like "should we kick out all the forruns, Y/N"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
There was going to be a tram from the docks to...somewhere, I can't remember off the top of my head, planning started in the 90's but there was a bitter divide between the Lib Dem (pro tram) and Tory councillors (anti tram). The Tories eventually solved the problem by building a housing estate in the way of the proposed route. No more tram!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dabir posted:

Yeah on Wednesdays they're standing up and making hooting noises.

[BRAYING DISAGREEMENT FROM BACKBENCHES]

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
People saying "i'm going to move to Ireland if the UK leaves the EU!" baffles me in the same way that "Labour didn't try to block Article 50 so i'm going to vote Lib Dem!" does.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

I mean I'd argue that Corbynite Labour is *already* in support of austerity, thanks to their commitment to the boneheaded fiscal credibility rule last year. But I'm sure Corbyn will make his support for austerity more explicit in a short while, since there's not far he needs to go to make that so.

I get that you're upset because of the A50 vote but suggesting that Corbyn is some kind of secret fan of austerity is more of a stretch than the Goatse dude's butthole

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's also the issue that the standard Remain arguments didn't work in the run up to the referendum and there's no indication they are going to work now. It's all well and good to draw a line in the sand, say "No to Article 50!" and trot out the sensible arguments that a hard brexit will gently caress up the country/soft brexit still has a bunch of issues, but if that fails to convince people in general, and the public continues to buy May and Farage's lies until it's too late, what good does it do?

I broadly agree with Corbyn's plan to back the referendum result so not to alienate Brexit voters, but to fight for as soft a brexit as possible. I think voting for A50 after the amendments were rejected undermined that unfortunately, but I appreciated that there was A Plan, as all of Labour's options were pretty terrible all told. I wonder if things had been different if Tristram Hunt hadnt resigned and forced the Stoke by-election, who knows.

I think the three line whip was a mistake, and that it indicates Corbyn's failure both to convince the PLP and the membership of Labour's path. I think had he started down this path earlier and spent more effort convincing the party while not whipping the final vote, things wouldn't have got to where there are. I think ultimately it was a stark reminder of Corbyn's inexperience as a political operator, and suspect that the countdown to his replacement has begun, unless he can find some way of bringing the party back round.

Corbyn's inexperience btw is why I don't want Clive Lewis anytime soon, as i'm extremely worried that both the Tories and the Labour Right would be able to have their way with him unless he has time to get more experience under his belt.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jedit posted:

And Corbyn should be fighting on that basis: that May has no mandate to broker a deal which takes us out of the single market. This is something the Tories couldn't legitimately protest and would shore up the assertion that Labour want what is best for Britain as well as respecting the will of the people. But he isn't. He's letting her do as she pleases because it's easier.

I think even the people who still support Corbyn (including me) would agree that the execution of the whole thing has been handled pretty badly, even if you agree in the principle with "support soft Brexit but hammer the Tories on the details". I think not sounding out the membership first on the impact of a three line whip was a pretty major error.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Private Speech posted:

I look forward to Labour voting with the government on every bill they can push through, then.

This is a pretty poo poo argument whichever way you feel about Labour and Brexit.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most government bills don't have the weight of a referendum behind them though

Does anyone know how the Colombian government's decision to ignore the result of the FARC referendum and sign a peace treaty anyway went?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

The world wars really were basically entirely political conflicts and I wish more people remembered that.

I like how people remember WWII for being a conflict arising due to nationalism and don't really think about WWI...which was also a conflict started by a critical mass of right wing nationalistic governments in Europe leading their countries into war for jingoistic reasons.

Poincare lied, Jaures died

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fans posted:

Lib Dems have 15% of Remain voters. The Conservatives have more Remain voters than they do.

Also they couldn't even get all of their 9 (nine) MPs to block the Article 50

As for the Dems in the US, Labour is not doing nearly as badly as the Democrats currently are - the Tories over here have the slimmest of majorities only propped up by making promises to the DUP, having an insane disciplinarian as PM and a stranglehold on the traditional media.

The Democrats have handed almost all of the US over to the Republicans thanks to being completely inept at running electoral campaigns, as opposed to the only thing they care about, the Presidential election, where they were only mostly inept. The US Dems are at the "pre-Corbyn" stage, where the left of the party isn't really being seen as a viable threat to the neoliberal. If a true leftist looks like they are gaining power holy poo poo you are going to see the knives come out in a way that makes Labour's current problems look like a picnic by comparison.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zalakwe posted:

A few of the huge Lib Dem swings we've seen were not in remain areas.

Noted Leave and Labour strongholds, Sleaford and Richmond-on-Trent

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

the relationship between the media and trump is a little more complicated than that between corbyn and the british press.

the american media knew trump was ratings gold, they gave him lots of airtime to spout what he wanted, and the length of the primary campaign meant he got a lot of coverage. now a lot of the commentary was negative, but he benefited from saturating the airwaves.

the press in the UK willfully misrepresents Corbyn and does not let people see him present his case regularly on prime time.

the media was ultimately hostile to trump, but because he was ratings gold they also gave the oxygen his campaign needed to catch fire.

Not to mention that everytime the MAINSTREAM LIBERAL MEDIA!!! took their shots at Trump, he moved a little bit closer to the "outsider" status people loved him for. Same thing with Farage in a lot of ways.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

mehall posted:

Parliament Petition to request reasoning for why there was no threshold on the referendum.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/164999

I admire the sentiment but unfortunately this is a case of bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Ultimately like most of the poo poo that has gone down in the UK for the past 6 and a bit years the referendum terms being a shitshow can squarely be laid at Davey Hamfucker's door.

Paxman posted:

e: In 1976 the Sex Pistols went on the telly and called Bill Grundy a dirty fucker after he told Siouxsie Sioux he'd like to meet her after the show.

Johnny Rotten Was Right

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I thought that the whole "poverty = obesity" thing was always much more true in the US than over here due to comparative expense of fresh food/"food deserts" in the US and the fact that everything cheap is pumped full of HFCS to satisfy the corn lobby

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's weird, for the first time people in the party seem really angry at Corbyn, since a lot of his supporters were also die hard Remain supporters. We are discussing the recent A50 vote at my CLP meeting tonight so we will see what the tone is.

However actual talk about deposing Corbyn is pretty much nowhere to be found. I think most people on the left and right of the party just want a year to get on with stuff and not waste time on another leadership election that honestly, Corbyn would still probably win. If Clive Lewis ran right now then he might have a chance but I don't think he dislikes Corbyn enough to do it and he by all means would not guaranteedly win. No-one else seems close. The anger over the A50 vote seems to be dying by the day as well, especially with the evidence that Labour voters are not as pro-Remain as originally thought.

I think it's definitely put a timeline on Corbyn's departure though, I can't realistically see him getting to 2020.

As for the by-elections I think Labour will win Stoke and lose Copeland. The Tories have completely thrown their lot in with the Kippers (UKIP aren't running a candidate in Copeland and the Tories are running a complete nobody in Stoke) and are reaping the short term rewards of the country willfully descending into fascism as long it means less brown people.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Panama Red posted:

Please do report back. I'd also love to hear from other posters who go to CLP meetings what the climate seems to be, especially in the run-up to the byelections.

Local CLP report - had a visit from a organiser of the Hungry for Justice campaign, an international effort to raise minimum wages and eliminate zero hours contracts and workplace bullying for fast food workers. Traditionally these workers have been hard to organise due to being a very young and transient working population, but due to the lovely state of the economy there are now a lot of "lifers" in the fast food sector who are both very angry with conditions and don't feel they can get something better, and so are actually willing to mobilise.

The original target of the campaign was McDonalds, but its now spread to other fast food chains as well as places like Wetherspoons. It was exciting hearing from the guy for two reasons:

1. He was an entertaining firebreathing socialist
2. The campaign has actually won stuff - they are part of the team that did Fight for Fifteen in Seattle, and have a record of improving conditions for staff in franchises around the country.

The general idea is that you get in personal contact with workers at a fast food place, meet up with them, and get them to bring their employee's handbook or contract so you can go through it step by step to see if the worker is getting what they have been promised. If they aren't (and they are usually not getting something they are entitled to) the next step is to organise the staff and go to management to demand conditions improve, with the threat either being walkouts by the staff or lobbying of the premises, telling everyone coming into the store that workers are being mistreated. In the majority of cases management back down immediately and get the workers everything they deserve, because people aren't used to dealing with the notion that workers have power anymore.

We're organising a day of action in order to help out the campaign and give it Labour's backing, since it's something we can do that connects us very directly to working people in order to improve their lives.

In other news, the whole Article 50 vote might weirdly actually do some good in bringing some parts of the party back together. We've had a number of party members who were turned off by Corbyn's elections and the influx of new avowdly left-wing members, but are coming back into the fold now for whatever reasons. Probably both because Corbyn now looks fallible with the membership and that there is now common ground between the centrists and left on the topic of Europe.

Having said that, there is very little talk of replacing Corbyn per se - most of the talk is either praising Clive Lewis and co. for making a stand and demands that Labour not give in to talk of abandoning internationalism and immigration.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Meanwhile, Labour have dropped all investigations into homophobia in Angela Eagle's constituency:

quote:

Wirral Momentum

Wallasey CLP - homophobia allegations collapse

Wirral Momentum has been informed that the Labour Party enquiry into the events at the Wallasey CLP AGM in June 2016 have been closed with no action taken against anyone. These allegations were made as part of the campaign to remove Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader.

Wallasey CLP had elected Corbyn supporters to some key posts and written to its MP Angela Eagle asking her to support Corbyn. Instead she resigned from the Shadow Cabinet and stood against him. She was later dumped by Labour MPs who instead backed Owen Smith.

The serious allegations of homophobia and intimidation at the AGM were made nearly two weeks after that meeting, and only after Angela's challenge had been announced. The CLP was suspended which made sure it could not have a nomination meeting - which may well have backed Corbyn and not Eagle for leader.

Wirral Momentum has been informed that those allegations have collapsed. The Party investigation into what happened at the AGM has been closed with no charges of homophobic behaviour or intimidation.

Kathy Runswick, Chair of Wallasey Constituency Labour Party posted:

I am delighted to hear that no disciplinary charges are to be brought against any individual members of Wallasey Constituency Labour Party by the Labour Party in respect of the events at the Wallasey CLP AGM in June 2016. The Labour Party investigation into the AGM has ended with no action against any individual and the Party regards those issues as closed.

I can see no reason why our constituency should remain suspended. I understand the National Disputes Committee meet again in March and they should in my opinion lift the suspension so that we can get on with campaigning against the Tories and for a Labour Government.

My guess is that someone will find a reason for Wallasey CLP to be kept suspended since deselection proceedings will probably begin approximately a nanosecond after they are allowed to meet again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

Kim Jong Un has just had his brohter assassinated

David Miliband just got a boner and he's not sure why

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Holy lol at this Times quote from the outgoing Met commissioner's final speech:

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe posted:

“We can’t afford to have officers think twice because they fear the consequences of shooting someone,” he will tell the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi) today

I feel like the consequences of shooting people should be the kind of thing people think twice about, but maybe that's just me?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure the copper in question would feel just terrible and really, isn't that enough?

"Won't somebody think of the poor policeman's career!!!" *dead body of innocent victim is carted off in the background*

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Taear posted:

I work in a place with a lot of Leave voters and it really doesn't matter what anything says or does, their minds are made up.

In the same way as immigration is a settled thing - it's bad. I don't know how anyone expects to change the minds of people who don't believe anything they're told any more.

The tactic our local CLP is considering is the classic improv trick of "Yes, and..." with response to immigration.

So if someone on the doorstep says "Immigration is terrible, my grandkid can't get a job" you respond with "Yes, it's terrible your grandkid can't get a job. That's why Labour is committed to eliminating youth unemployment via apprentice schemes and incentives." Then ask if they would still be concerned about immigration.

Just telling people NO UR WRONG is a pretty bad way of convincing anyone that you're right.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

fridge corn posted:

Good old Surrey 😇

They already got rid of all the brown people anyway. Can't have hate crimes without a target!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

ronya posted:

it's a sunset industry regardless, mainly because the price of energy is too high in the UK

If only there was some national entity that could do something to regulate and do something to improve the power situation in the country

Oh well, we can all dream I guess

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

ronya posted:

sure. I vote that the hydroelectric dams be built over your town, whilst the electricity powers the industry in mine.

(remember capel celyn!)

after decades of tumult, britain finds nominally independent statutory regulators to be a necessity for civil-social peace. solve that first, then propose nationalisation again.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't fit a hydroelectic dam on the middle of the river Trent. There is a weir at one point though...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Well he's got one follower on this thread already

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also I love it when you get people like Farage saying that we need to control immigration while simultaneously saying we need to have closer ties with The Empire The Commonwealth. I wonder which non-EU countries we receive the highest immigration from:

2. India 9.0% of immigrants
3. Pakistan 5.9% of immigrants
7. Nigeria 2.3% of immigrants
8. Bangladesh 2.3% of immigrants
9. South Africa 2.2 % of immigrants

oh

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The thing that's really getting to me from the Moral Remainer side is both the complete lack of nuance or compromise from the position and the total absence of any kind of plan to get concessions from the Tories.

Like the plan seems to be "shout loudly and constantly using the exact same arguments that failed to win the referendum and hope Britain wakes up from its collective stupor"? Is that really the best we can do?

At least Corbyn's plan to tacitly agree with Brexit and try and soften it from within is a plan, which is more than i've heard from the Moral Remainers. Don't get me wrong, I would love to find a way to somehow remain, but someone's actually got to come up with a way to get there that isn't "continue to use the tactics that have already proved not to work".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

jabby posted:

Blair is a racist gently caress whose argument is the loudest loving dog whistle I've ever heard. His whole approach is to try and get people to separate EU imagination (white) from the immigration they 'care about' stopping (non-white, Muslim, a threat to our security). gently caress him and anyone who thinks demonising immigrants to get what you want is STILL a good idea.

Chuka Umunna should change his Wikipedia page from "The British Barack Obama" to "The Black Tony Blair"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't give a gently caress how racist Tony "mothafuka" Blair is if he can stop Brexit.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

But fine, let's get to the crux of your issue wherein Labour did not to enough to fight the commons vote.

Now let's imagine that Charisma Machine Owen Smith had won the leadership election last year. He triple-line whips Labour to vote against Article 50, and even rebels like Corbyn and Skinner go along with it.

Now what happens?

Well obviously all the Tory rebels that were *clearly* waiting in the wings would have found their nerve and voted against Article 50! Then we would never speak of this issue again as it would have been resolved for all time.

Frankly, we should be using the fact that people are so staggeringly misinformed on the EU to aim for the softest Brexit possible, so that basically nothing changes but people can still be told that Brexit has happened and the will of the people enacted. My real worry is that by having the left expend all its energy on a potentially futile battle to remain in what ultimately is not a left wing institution, the Tories will get away with far worse stuff domestically.

The EU didn't stop austerity, privatisation or the NHS crisis, after all.

• Locked thread