Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Anges should be our monk.

Because the peace loving vestal should be the one to punch things to death via frontal assault!

:agreed:

If you don't immediately switch the frail waifs into the physical jobs in these kind of games I don't know what to tell you. Physical powerhouse Kryle for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Greyarc posted:

Black pointy hat, black robe, pyromaniac... hm.

He's clearly the bearer of the paladin/magiknight/however we're localizing it this game job, right? :downs:

Cador_2004 posted:

Can I just say that Ringabel's name theme is so absolutely horrible that I hadn't even realized it until after the whole theme naming thing was brought up earlier in the thread.

To be fair though, it is perfectly Ringabel to choose a punny name playing on his amnesia until those memories come back.

serefin99 posted:

So does changing jobs have an immediate effect on stats? Like, if I have Tiz in white mage for 20 levels and then decide to turn him into a monk, will he gain at least some physical attack to improve his punching ability? Or would he be stuck with a mage's noodle arms for a few levels?

Depends on the specifics of the game. In Final Fantasy V, jobs impose a modifier on unchanging base stats, so a lvl 50 Lenna in the monk job is a lvl 50 Lenna in the monk job, even if she did the last 49 lvl ups in say blue mage or summoner.
In FF tactics, jobs both imposed a modifier on stats AND affected stat growth, so a white mage switching to monk would have somewhat noodlier arms that the guy who stayed monk all the time. Not by much though.

This game feels more 5 than tactics though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Edea, you don't seem to be cut out for soldiering. As far as I can tell, the Sky Knights haven't harmed civilians, only soldiers. Your country is at war with Caldisla, which means soldiers from both sides will kill each other. It sucks, but soldiers and the king are legitimate targets in a time of war.

Ominas was a Sky Knight too and he explicitly targeted civilians instead of military targets.
After that, well, as she said summarily executing your superior officer is kinda treason even if you had a good reason for that, and somehow I doubt Eternia signed an equivalent to the Geneva convention.

Although, I doubt there was a formal declaration of war between Eternia and Caldisla, the situation is that the Eternian forces were pursuing the wind vestal and didn't bother to stop for little things like the sovereignty of another nation. Unprovoked attacks were seen as a very bad things even back then; if this was a Paradox game Eternia would have gotten an almost full "badboy" and a medium stability hit from just this action.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Considering Ringabel's diary and the amnesia, plus some of the details in that diary, I'm calling it now: Ringabel is an alternate Alternis from the future.
Although, sine there wasn't a Ringabel described int the diary, the time loop doesn't seem to be stable.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cokerpilot posted:

They are going to regret this decision aren't they.

Ringabel won't.
Ignoring the obvious exception, if they don't I'll eat Edea's time Mage outfit, ridiculous hat included.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mundetiam posted:

Everyone knows fantasy Dark Knights don't remove their armor the moment they put it on for life.

Cecil needed his magical alien dad to pry that poo poo off after some soul searching.

Cecil's armor was literally bolted on; it's not that they won't remove their armor, is that they can't.

Edea can be explained away neatly. She might have noticed the uncanny resemblance, but Ringabel was being Ringabel from the instant the party rescued her. There was no time for Edea to speak up before overwhelming evidence made her file the resemblance under funny coincidence, because seriously R can't have a more different personality from Alternis.

Incidentally, in a game where two party members are called "this warrior" and "idealist" I feel fairly safe saying that the guy called "alternate" is somebody's alternate.
We're just missing temple Themp'ul or a rebel called Datz Are'bal and we might as well be in the jRPG version of Ace Attorney.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Freelancer has Mimic this time around though, so I really doubt we'll get a dedicated Mime class asterisk.

As for puns, I'm drawing a blank on Victoria but Victor is quite the stereotypical doctor's name and the dude at least looks the part.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

...Drakengard?

This chapter was written by one of Yoko's drinking buddies, wasn't it?

WTF Einheria, couldn't, you know, ask around for antidotes for those chemicals, for your sisters' sake? There's evil, there's petty evil, there's :moreevil: and there's loving over your family, blood or otherwise.
How the gently caress is Edea an Eternian? Is she the result of a magic ritual where she has all the conscience of her nation?
Not for the last time, who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to have the hard-headed idealist (even if at times she might be misguided) anywhere near the average asterisk-holder?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If DeRosa is a red mage I'll be very, very cross with the game, especially because rosa means pink, not red.
E: but the De is a really nice touch, it gives the name an hint of depraved nobility.

Apart from that, :barf:
Kill him with fire, will him with ice, kill him with anything but make the bastard suffer.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

EponymousMrYar posted:

That could have been worse.

Also the implication seems to be that he wasn't affected by his own concoction. However considering that the rest of the Bloodrose Legion's leaders are women and he views them as tools and two of them went crazy from the goods...

The second part makes way too much sense :barf:

Greyarc posted:

It may be referring to rosa as in rose.

With a first name as Fiore (flower), it may be this. I'm still very very cross with this game :colbert:

On the other hand, it probably isn't deliberate, but shitstain's name feels fake, especially with his surname spelled and capitalized that way. If he was an actual noble, he'd be called Fiore de Rosa, so he feels to me like somebody whose birth name was John Smith or Mario Rossi trying too hard by changing his name.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Patter Song posted:

So the party decided to put its goal of rescuing the Water Vestal and activating the Crystal in order to track down ad slaughter every officer in the Blackrose Legion.

Airy's wondering why she had to entrust her mission to save the world to these psychos.

Honestly? Those guys are the reason the Crystals are in this situation to begin with.
The problem would have to be :airquote: solved :airquote:, either now or later, but procrastinating means that the Blackrose Legion still controls the Florem area, so DeAsshole or whomever could simply gently caress over the Water Crystal again while the party is away dealing with fire and earth.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

kvx687 posted:

Victoria F. Stein and Victor S. Court, huh. Not the most subtle of references there, though admittedly that's pretty par for the course so far. Given the little breakdown she just had I'm guessing she's the monster and he's the scientist.

F. Stein is an obvious enough reference, but I'm not getting what is S. Court a reference to.

A little :goonsay: if I'm allowed: Frankenstein is the scientist, the monster is deliberately nameless in the novel because Dr. Frankenstein is an horrible parent and human being. Victor should have been the F. Stein, not Victoria.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

hey girl you up posted:

In this one specific case, I actually don't mind the swordmaster not going into a long explanation. Set aside they're the bad guys for a second. They think they're right.

Edea is/was a member of the Eternian army. She's the swordmaster's disciple, and she presumably studied under him for years. By all accounts, she's drat good. When he finally deemed her ready, he sent her on a mission to capture the vestal. Hell, he sent her off armed with his finest sword.

And then she turns traitor, killing hundreds of her former comrades.

Out of some fondness for his former student, he's planning to give her one last chance to say, "Yeah, I hosed up," before he kills her. Edea wants a conversation, he does not.

Maybe he'd explain things if she stepped down and let him bring in the vestal, but without the convenient whatever it was, Edea was a dead woman.

Edea is the daughter of the boss.
The problem is not why they can't spend 5 minutes now for the cliff notes version of why the crystal orthodoxy is bad news, the problem is why Edea never got briefed on this before getting sent off to capture Agnes.
Sent off with Ominas "Pyromaniac" Crowe I might add, that's just asking for a mutiny considering Edea's personality.

E: seriously Edea's defection felt like an accelerated "We're the baddies" sketch. Half a minute from noticing the skulls to recruiting the party to execute Crowe, no second thoughts.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dear god those name puns
:bang:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pureauthor posted:

Final Fantasy 5 still has my favourite implementation of it, where all the curatie and revival spells and items simply don't work because the guy in question had just finished powering through an entire boss fight at 0 hp.

EponymousMrYar posted:

If they try and it doesn't work then it doesn't work.

:agreed:
You don't have to explain why in this instance magic isn't going to work. It's magic, you don't have to explain poo poo.
You do have to explain, though, why the party doesn't even try, because that's not how human beings work. I don't care if they know it would be futile, because that's not how human beings work.

This situation is totally because of the ninja girl, isn't it? She has kidnapped/killed the commander's wife and is now posing as her.
Comedy option, she's posing as the commander.

VVVVVVVVVV
true, I had not thought about Kage Bunshin shenanigans.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 3, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Greyarc posted:

Itwasaregrettablemisstep.Ifonlythefirevestalhadnotignoredmywarningandleaptintothelavap...

"If only the fire vestal had not ignored my warning and leapt into the lava pit"

You can explain why you're doing this poo poo to the fire vestal but not to the boss's daughter. Of course.
Although to be fair Kikyo was actually talking here and might have been willing to sing had she not died.

It's interesting that she calls the fire vestal's death a mistake. Is the implication that she was tasked with capture, not assassination, and Rei* Oblige decided to commit suicide to avoid it instead?
*what was the fire vestal's name anyway?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hold on, Braev?
Edea Lee (as in, ideally) father's name is Braev Lee, as in bravely?

:shepicide:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

Literally doing nothing puts them head and shoulders about a good, what, 66% of video game councils?

Out of the top of my head the only good video game council I remember is the Nopon elder from Xenoblade 1: "Here's a new party member, have fun". Heropon very cool.

E: but yeah, at least these morons are not trying to sell Agnes to Eternia or sacrifice her to the kraken or something.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Considering the amount of times she needs to step on his case a 95% accuracy is absolutely acceptable.
I mean, when you manage to turn calling you out into a Pavlovian response, and a fairly accurate one at that, you have no one but yourself to blame for the times when it fires unfairly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Etrian Odyssey and Persona trained me out of that poo poo.
Two or three people running out of SP during a boss fight? gently caress it, Soma and press the assault.

It helps that in Etrian everything is farmable and that in Persona you have good options when you're not action constrained.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Ahh, the Lee pun family.

Bravely, Motherly, and Ideally. :allears:

I'm looking forward to the next batch of puns. :3:

:shepicide:
I honestly have no clue why the Ace Attorney tier names bother me so much, considering I love that series and its names.

At the moment, Eternia feels like the States (no offense, but you guys have been pretty much the Evil Empire for some decades now) and the crystals are oil. You even have healthcare being for-pay.
Although awakening the crystals can't really be slotted into this analogy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We have dancers? You mean performer or is a dancer asterisk coming up?

Anyway, how would you split the asterisks for a 4JF? There are 5 "continents" with associated jobs, but only 4 crystals. Do you link the Caldislan jobs to the air crystal?
That way you get a massive pool of Freelancer, Monk, White Mage, Black M, Knight, Thief, Merchant, Time M, Spell Fencer.

A 5JF would work with how the asterisks are pooled, though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rainuwastaken posted:

They can't be that rare either, since Eternia likes handing them out to total idiots.

I'm not fully sure they have any option here, though.
Exhibit A: nobody bothering to tell anything to Edea.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

And this is the part where yelling "why don't you god drat morons explain anything" at my DS commenced in earnest.

You're more patient than me, I've been screaming at the LP since Kami-Izumi at least.

Pureauthor posted:

The double kill dialogue for Victor and Victoria is a nice easter egg.

Braev continues to be a moron.

Checks out. He's Braev after all, not smart.

E: although I'll forgive duke Alucard I'm-absolutely-not-a-vampire DeRosso (any relation?) for not saying poo poo. If he had to explain things to stupid mortals he'd die of old age before he'd be done.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 13, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Crystals are actually evil or something. Quelle surprise :geno:. This is my shocked face :geno:

Couldn't you share this nice little piece of information with your daughter you decerebrated imbecile?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm giving a pass to deDracula and the sage because they're clearly doing a drinking contest with this poo poo. At least that's not a stupid motivation, even if it's kinda evil.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As I said, I'm giving a pass to DeRosso because he clearly doesn't give any gently caress and is too busy munching on the vampire equivalent of popcorn while laughing at the idiotic mortals.
A kinda evil motivation but an actually understandable one.

Glad to see the party have realized Ringabel is the most probable author of that diary, even if it should make no sense.

EponymousMrYar posted:

'You must now collect Six Orbs Of Importance before I will give you an explanation.'
'Dude at this point I am willing to do that. Lets go!'

He never said an explanation on what though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I mean, after the kids' kids' kids' kids still wouldn't get off his lawn or stop using his castle for weird proof of courage poo poo, I can't blame DeRosso for increasing security.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gotta admit, I absolutely respect DeRosso for going all out on the vampiric imagery.

Although, who (or what) turned him immortal? Technically this area is optional so it may not come up again. Was it the Yulana sage? Comedy option it totally was the sage.
Jokes aside, from the way DeRosso and the sage interact the latter is also an immortal, so there are decent chances he's another old school Adventist too, turned immortal from the same source.

Considering how they both helped overthrow the Orthodoxy, I don't think their mysterious patron is aligned with the Crystals, but then why is the sage actively helping the party?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What's the menu symbol? Catholic cross, Orthodox cross or Protestant cross?

Sorry not sorry.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, the words of the angel were really similar as Agnes' words during the initial AR video. The angel bore Agnes pendant. The angel knew the future but was surprised at finding herself in the past. She was totally Agnes.
What asterisk do we have with wings? Valkyrie? Maybe an endgame only form for Agnes.

Still, the legendary monsters corrupting the crystals are not Eternia's doing, which leads me to speculate that they're instead the crystals' autonomous defense system. I'd like to revise my earlier speculation that the crystals are evil, but awakening them is still a bad idea.

"Guise of one friendly to the vestals". Considering we're well into endgame this character must already be known simply because of basic storytelling principles.

Edit:

FoolyCharged posted:

oh please let the annoying fairy companion be satan pushing us towards the apocalypse.

It's not anyone in the party unless they pull an hell of unreliable narrator asspull on Tiz; it's not anyone Eternian because they don't count as friendly; it's not DeRosso or the Sage because "Angel" would have recognized them (and there's no point to this optional sequence if it's all lies); all other friendly characters don't have the story weight for this.

The only one left is the fairy.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 13, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In 5, weren't boats screwed by the lack of winds, not by the water crystal? You'd think that an unnaturally calm sea would be optimal sailing condition if not for the need of sails. Syldra and the steam (or whatever) boats had no problem moving around.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Called it. Game wasn't exactly subtle about it though, and it seems the time displacement knocked some sense into Ringabel.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've checked when Edea joined the party (update 11) and she's too busy being angry at Crowe to notice Ringabel. When he introduces himself this is her reaction:
What!? How did you...?
Enough. Conversation can wait!

Further conversation happens after the battle, and by then it's quite clear that Ringabel is, well, Ringabel.
I think Edea noticed the resemblance, but considering the personalities are fairly different and she knows Alternis isn't a good enough actor for this she probably filed it under the Ringabel General Weirdness file. In Eternia she had a line where she contemplated R being A, and wondering how that was even possible, so she was aware enough of the possibility.

I just noticed the D on the journal's cover, I assume it's for Dim?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know we're focusing primarily on Edea not recognizing Ringabel's face, but the same being true for Mahzer and Braev is just baffling.

By the time the party is in Eternia Braev must have gotten the reports on Ringabel's description, and considering that Alternis demonstrably isn't Ringabel (time displaced amnesiac future self not being very high on the list of sensible explanations) he didn't care to mention it since it wasn't really relevant.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What happened to the party? Or rather, not our party but the original instances. It's going to be embarrassing when Ringabel goes full Ringabel on two Edeas

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Clarste posted:

Well, the implication I get from the scene just now is that Ominas Crowe actually killed the party in this world, and just now felt like he was being attacked by their ghosts.

Yeah, that was my impression as well.
What the gently caress is going on here?

Shouldn't there be an OG Grandship by the way?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Commander Keene posted:

There is currently a marker in the ocean between Ancheim and Eisenberg...

So my first instinct would be to check on OG Batz, Zatz and the proprietress; after that go knocking at DeRosso's to see if he's home and willing to give further answers (yea right) and then go at the Sage's for the same thing.

We're going to get a negative amount of answers somehow, aren't we?

E:

Dartonus posted:

Iirc he drops a second copy of Ise-no-Kami, the katana that Edea starts out equipped with.

This is pretty much confirmation.
HOW exactly did our jump back screw things this badly? We haven't even interacted with our past selves.
Especially since Ringabel's first timetravel rondo DIDN'T mess things up.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 29, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So we should have reasonably passed Tiz and Agnes on the way to Ominas, right? Did they get killed, too?

They survived Holly and Baras if I'm understanding the pre-battle dialogue correctly. Beyond that, nobody knows :speculate:
When did Agnes get reported/recognized as the wind vestal in the original timeline?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Alternate universe instead of time travel.

Alternis Dim. Alternate dimension. GOD loving DAMMIT game, although Dim is probably because he's not very bright shall we say.

DGM_2 posted:

We completely screwed over the first world by going into the pillar of light, didn't we?

Yeah, I'm going to speculate the pillar of light is/can be used as a "destroy this dimension" ritual.

Dudethunder posted:

Actually, if you take a closer look at her you might start to wonder if she's still the same Airy - she looks a bit different now in this new world.

:thunk:
:stare:
First LP page Airy:

(also is it just me or do her upper wings resemble a screaming face?)

Last update Airy:

Ok, the **** is happening here?
(Rhetoric question, she's evil. I get the feeling the vampire castle and related exposition was not really meant to be unlocked on the first go, although they left the opportunity for sequence break.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tempest_56 posted:

We can see it in a few of the prior shots.

Wait, hold on. Both of these are from the same post.

That's.... weird.

Old scenes in the first world with the party as Dark Knights.