Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mak0rz posted:

The GameCube lineup was pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Nintendo_GameCube

Also: seems it's tradition for an entry in a new console generation to launch with a Ridge Racer games.

Wow I forgot that rogue leader was a launch title, that game still looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

In Training posted:

The entire N64 and PS1 library wasn't enough already?

I recently went through my old collection of Nintendo Powers and there are so many 3d platformers that I completely forgot about. I could name a dozen off the top of my head and still barely scratch the surface.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

In Training posted:

It's ironic that once consoles added two joysticks and solved the problem of camera control in 3D platformers the genre died the following week

I'm glad the platforming boom ended and finally gave way to a better genre, WW2 shooters.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I used to be extremely good at Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, but that was more muscle memory than skill.

I got decent at marvel vs capcom 3, but only so far as I could execute some combos on command and play decently online. I had a pretty mean super skrull that would carry me through many comebacks.

I'm pretty good at soul calibur and made it to the finals at a small local tournament, but I got destroyed when I tried playing in a tournament here on SA.

Oh and the earliest game I remember getting "good" at was Gunz :laffo:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jet Force Gemini has updated controls on rare replay, and they're still bad.

It's serviceable if you hold down the aim button but that's still clunky as hell

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jet Force Gemini is basically Banjo Kazooie with guns and also you can shoot the jinjos in the head

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Kaiji is only one hand away from getting dropped into a pit

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Ken's Rage is the most disappointing game I've ever played. I thought they'd finally made a good HnK game, but nope.

Have you tried Godhand?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Godhand is very great and has a lot of HnK homage in it, but it is very much its own thing. Fist of the North Star has had tons of video games, and the only one that was nearly good was a playstation fighting game that was so unbalanced it makes that Jojo game look fair.

Isn't that the one that the GG people made? Is it just unbalanced because of 1 or 2 god tier characters like JoJo, cause that's pretty balanced if you ban Pet Shop and Kakyoin

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh dang now I want that game just to play casually.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Drink the rich

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CrashCat posted:

As if there's no way to suck up to the rich :rolleyes:

All you gotta do is get a job with their private security force

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's silly to think Nintendo would drop the biggest feature handhelds have over phone games

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The level design is pretty good, it just doesn't have any really cool set pieces like in a souls game.

Nioh was pretty good, but my gotm is still Yakuza 0 even if I only played it for the first week.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's gonna be sick when Automata is goty 2017 and then the PC version is goty 2018

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

All I know is the devs are the Killzone guys but I never played those games so that's kinda meaningless to me

It means it'll be a goddamn miracle if it's any good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

edit: And personally I still believe that the "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds" thing referred to big boss' super hostile actions toward quiet in the game and not the controversy that happened in real life (because i mean, he does throw her in a jail cell and support the idea of merc-ing her), but that's neither here nor there

Nah it's cause you throw acid on her which forces her into her new naked life

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Kojima to his modelers: "excellent work on Del Toro, but where the azzzzz?"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

For what it's worth, too, I think Nier: Automata is pretty mild in the grand scheme of oversexualized video game stuff. I mean, maybe that's more of an indictment of the medium than anything. But 2B's outfit is definitely sexier than it needs to be and clearly geared for upskirt shots; at the same time, 2B as a character (as far as I can tell) isn't really sexualized beyond that. She's a sexless android who presents as female, just like 9S is a sexless android who presents as male, along with Adam and Eve (one of whom shows up totally nude and sans genitalia in his first appearance just to drive home how not sexual they are).

You're right that weird adolescent takes on sexual titillation are worth criticizing as a trend in the medium, for sure. I just get annoyed when people treat something like 2B's outfit like it should be a dealbreaker for any reasonable person and if it isn't, that person is clearly a creep (which I know you definitely didn't do, just in reference to my other posts on this topic).

I'm really curious what the ingame reasoning for her outfit is, considering how the only people on the planet are other robots. Are the humans on the moon who designed her supposed to be a stand in for the skeevy audience?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

"I designed a character to be super sexy and make my penis happy but she's a robot and sexless so it's okay, not creepy"

-Taro Yoko

Sex sells. Games as an industry and a market is dominated by males. It's just the same pin-up body type from every other game with some shreds of clothing to give cosplayers another half-naked hero to dress as.

I'm reminded of the Bayonetta 2 story where Platinum sent their proposed Peach and Daisy costumes to Nintendo for approval and Nintendo sent them back asking if they could be made more sexy.

Oh yeah I know full well why she is a sexy maid, I'm just curious what his in universe reason is, since they are sexualized in an explicitly sexless world.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I remember when you wanted to take screenshots you had to turn the lights off and possibly adjust TV settings or Nintendo Power wouldn't accept your submission.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The spiritual sequel to Bushido Blade is actually the Deadliest Warrior games of last gen

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Exactly. The underlying sentiment is perfectly fine and relatable, it's just the way of expressing it is asinine and also a huge red flag about the person saying it. It's like when somebody describes something as an "epic fail" IRL or derisively refers to someone as a "special snowflake" or uses the term "virtue signalling" ever.

Epic fail is definitely main stream now, I hear it at least once a month from normal people and fucks with me every time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

R.AD.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I've been playing BERSERK and The Band of The Hawk and the musou brand boss battles feel even shittier after playing Nioh. Why even give you a dodge if it doesn't seem to have any iframes or move you very far? It's basically the cancel button more than a dodge.

Even dumber is the gore option when you first start it up. I know why it's there but what's the point if the cutscenes are more violent than any of the gameplay.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I still miss Time Splitters :(

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm fairly sure it's legal as long as none of the puzzles are unsolvable if you're tone-deaf or colorblind

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Make all the puzzles sex and atheism flavored and it's Penn Gillette's house

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is the best game allowed to be less than 10 years old

I didn't realize it's already been a decade since Undertale :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I watched Tremors for the first time in about a decade last night since she hadn't seen it. I forgot how cool Burt's wife is and also that she's played by Reba McEntire, it's a shame they couldn't get her for the sequels.

• Locked thread