Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Put up the pre-order page already, the makers of Freedom Planet 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Rest assured the world will be in peril again, and also the galaxy.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

We should get a gamer into the White House

Mike Ross and Justin Wong had their chance.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

Durante, the guy who made DSfix for Dark Souls on PC, is apparently now being contracted by companies to improve their PC ports. I know that some of his fixes for the PC port of Deadly Premonition were eventually patched into the official release but it's cool that game companies are taking it one step further.

It's about time that guy got hired

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Im starved for podcasts so I guess I'll give Waypoint a shot. I tried out Idle Weekend a lot, but I don't like the superhero junk they do at all.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ok I won't. That was a close one.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
They're asking the difficult questions of gaming.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

I got your hard question right here.

Holiday 2017 or Spring 2018? :ohdear:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Waiting on some game theory articles about Mario not being a human.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Check out Waypoint's sister site Motherboard for your needs!
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/super-mario-isnt-a-human-being

What they've failed to also realize is that K Rool and the Donk Dynasty were in cahoots all along. Games journalism is a joke.

bloodychill posted:

The important part is if Mario will have a human girlfriend in New Donk City.

If Mario dies in the storyline, then yes. Kiss of life stuff in the final battle.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

God I hate kids who only play DPS.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Steam Direct sounds like Steam Greenlight with a higher fee and a different name, but I might be missing something there.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

smenj posted:

Short explanation:
Greenlight = You pay one-time sign-up fee to be able to publish on Greenlight (I think) -> Your game goes on Greenlight -> People vote on if they're interested -> Enough interest means your game goes up on Steam.
Direct = You pay per-game fee -> Your game goes up on Steam.

Longer explanation:
Greenlight was basically having you pay a sign-up fee to list your game on Greenlight, then people go on Greenlight, look at your game or have it suggested to them by Steam or whatever, then vote on whether they're interested or not. Your game gets lots of positive votes => Your game goes on Steam. There were some problems though, in that games often ended up in some kind of purgatory where they had no idea if they'd go up on Steam or not even if there was a lot of interest, as what was deemed as the right amount of votes was kind of arbitrary. Some games were allowed to skip Greenlight and some weren't, and it was a bit random. There were other issues, like a game getting a bunch of 'Not interested' votes simply because it was being shown to people who would have no interest in the genre, rather than there being anything wrong with the game. On top of all that, there were so many games on there and so much crap that people stopped bothering to look at Greenlight entirely.

Valve's idea is to instead replace it with Steam Direct, where you skip the whole voting system and just pay a fee to have your game put up on the store, with the fee there to help stop joke submissions and such. They mentioned you can get the fee back, but nobody really knows how that'd work. Perhaps they keep the money and give you it back if your game sells over a certain amount, or if your game stays up for a while without being reported as some asset-ripping piece of crap, or if your reviews are mostly positive. They apparently asked a variety of devs what fee they'd recommend and got responses between $100 and $5000, but they haven't settled on anything yet. Certainly seems to get rid of most of the worst parts of Greenlight, but I don't know how I feel about the fee becoming per-game as opposed to on sign-up. It's certainly much less hassle either way, and I guess it largely depends on how the fee is refunded, if it is at all.

Thanks for the more comprehensive explanation. I didn't realize that they skip the voting process with Direct. That's really weird to hear because it goes against the general idea of Steam trying to be more community-driven.

I totally agree that it'll slow down, at least, on the rate of shovelware.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

uh oh pancho! posted:

i finally got the witness from that humble bundle and i'm going into it blind, so far i'm about 2 hours in and just discovered the purpose of those black obelisks around the map and goddammit that's pretty neat but it feels super daunting to find all that poo poo

Yea that poo poo owns. It blew my mind finding the first one. Don't go hunting for them too quickly imo. Turns into a grind. Unless you end up enjoying it, then go absolutely nuts.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been playing The Witness off and on for almost six months. In terms of normal puzzles all I have left is the challenge. But even though I have kept myself to a Dark Souls-level of avoiding spoilers (which I only fell down on twice) I think I am going to use a guide for those, if I even do them at all. There were a couple of cool environmental ones but hidden-object-game stuff is not as enticing to me

I still haven't gone back to do the challenge, and yet I watched John Blow complete it in one try for one of Giantbomb's videos. It looked like complete madness. I will do it some time though!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's pretty weird that PewDiePie joked about rape, Mexican people, black people etc. for years and years without any reprisal, but the second Jews are brought into it (and as far as I can tell he himself wasn't even the one who said anything, he just reacted to some guys holding a sign) he gets dropped for that, and that alone. Anyone know how that works?

It just works, as Todd Howard says.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm amused by the discourse imo

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Ok Google, can you hear me if I talk (((like this)))

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

For those who may not've heard, Idle Thumbs, one of the longest-running game podcasts and one of my favorites is switching to Patreon to support the multiple podcasts they produce and host.

Idle Thumbs is hosted by Chris Remo, Nick Breckon, and Jake Rodkin(as well as some other former hosts like Sean Vanaman), who is responsible for the first season of Telltale's The Walking Dead, before splitting off and forming Campo Santo Games and making Firewatch. It's a genuinely great podcast most of the time(the worst parts were during the days they were in full Firewatch production mode and so were tired + couldn't do much else during the week and the discussions were poor) and also has a fair bit of insight into the development of games or the minds of creators as well. Plenty of Robot News, too.

They also, over the course of a few years, read a bunch of emails I sent in about the Steam Hat Economy which I will take every opportunity to link whenever possible because the stories are downright nuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

Nick Breckon's GTAV Troll Clone Nightmare(about a minute in video of the act begins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUe7qMxM1s&hd=1

Robot News animated short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGbem2mKGM&hd=1

Them and their various podcasts are wonderful and often have lots of insightful discussion on the industry and game development. They also talk about a lot of stupid poo poo like the Wii Horse Bag.

Idle Thumbs is good and cool, and I'm looking forward to the nebulously not really ended podcast entitled Idle Thumbs.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Blackfyre posted:

EDIT: I've not really listened to Idle Thumbs for a while, used to really enjoy it every week but started to find some it grating. Stopped a bit before Danielle came in? Think I didn't enjoy guest eps. Has Sean quit now then? I always enjoy Nick being Nick so glad he came back.

Felt they dropped the ball with Firewatch a bit though as it was good but not as great as I felt it should be with all their talk about games etc.

:same: I never quite took a shine to Sean. He hasn't been on the podcast for a while now. Nick has been playing some Dark Souls on their twitch channel. Watching him constantly eat his own words was funny.

They're slowing down on Idle Thumbs and starting up a generally themed podcast they call Important if True, which probably won't be video game focused at all since that'll be the only thing really separating it from the original podcast.
From what little I understand, it'll probably be more news/pop culture focused?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what Sonic Mania is, but it sounds like a lot of big deals are going down in that market sector.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The main thing I ask for in a podcast is strong chemistry between the hosts. Jokey fun stuff paired up with any serious chatting. Otherwise, there's always GDC's vault to go digging through and look for lectures given by people with stronger personal experience with their topic.
Chemistry is key though. It helps out so much when a podcast hits an inevitable boring lull.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Zelda 1 is really kicking my rear end, and I am bad at video games again. That is all.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

As a kid, Resident Evil 2. I never did beat the bonus Tofu challenge though.
I remember getting invisible difficulty on RE-make and giving up on that, too.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
They say on nights like this, the desync gets so bad I can still feel the ice cube in the palm of my hand. I'm being haunted by Nintendo and its phantom game cubes.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
If you think that some things are good and cool, you'll probably think Night in the Woods is good and cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Turok 2 EX will have online multi, apparently with networked split screen screen-looking as an option, too? So it says on the storepage I glanced. That's pret-ty good. :ocelot:

• Locked thread