Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

racial joke i've been working on: the smw goombas are insanely ugly filth that need to never appear again 😄

Those are galoombas, you racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

In an alternate universe I've been playing Persona 5 since midnight last night and haven't peed yet

I have to go on a trip for work the day after Persona 5 comes out :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

racial joke i've been working on: the smw goombas are insanely ugly filth that need to never appear again 😄

Those are actually not Goombas but an entirely different type of creature. I guess they all look alike to you huh?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

codenameFANGIO posted:

Those are galoombas, you racist.

they can "galoomb" on back to whatever trashcan they fell out of

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is Zelda a playable DLC character yet

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 14, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a nintendo switch t-shirt

i just found out this is real hahahaha

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

oddium posted:

i just found out this is real hahahaha

Please don't make fun of the shirts Link wears to school he is a sensitive boy.

For Halloween Link would unironically wear a Link mask and smock. Like a different Link but it'd still be a Link costume.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

In an alternate universe I've been playing Persona 5 since midnight last night and haven't peed yet

I am especially excited for Persona 5 because I've managed to keep myself completely in the dark since it was first announced 12 years ago

I think the very first trailer is still the only one I've seen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know the artstyle owns and it has something to do with cat burglary but that's it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ran into my first brick wall in Dragon Quest 8- first time you fight the Magic Clown jerk. Just was not leveled up enough- like there's kinda no way around "your numbers are too low to make this work" in this game.

Thankfully Metal Slime hunting is easy and fast. Really glad those things are in the game or grinding up a few necessary levels before a boss would be a real drag.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can also do a lot of alchemy crafting at that point since the argonia bazaar just opened up.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

This PewDiePie thing is hilarious. One of the dumbest ways to blow one's career. Still, he'll live but just lol.
Honestly there's no other way it could have gone, he's just too much of an attention seeker to quietly fade away instead of blowing it all up

The real lol thing is anyone taking him on as a property expecting he would behave

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

You can also do a lot of alchemy crafting at that point since the argonia bazaar just opened up.

Yeah, spent a little time looking up what I could do and have everyone pretty well kitted out- just was getting wrecked regardless. Apparently the Alchemy Pot wasn't instantaneous in the PS2 release...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

I am especially excited for Persona 5 because I've managed to keep myself completely in the dark since it was first announced 12 years ago

it will own for you

i know p much everything about it and im still gonna replay it in english

very excited

Sakurazuka posted:

I know the artstyle owns and it has something to do with cat burglary but that's it.

neko ja ne yo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, spent a little time looking up what I could do and have everyone pretty well kitted out- just was getting wrecked regardless. Apparently the Alchemy Pot wasn't instantaneous in the PS2 release...

Yeah, it wasn't until post game that you got the instant pot so every item took a few minutes of walking around to complete. One of the many great QoL features in the 3ds version

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's pretty weird that PewDiePie joked about rape, Mexican people, black people etc. for years and years without any reprisal, but the second Jews are brought into it (and as far as I can tell he himself wasn't even the one who said anything, he just reacted to some guys holding a sign) he gets dropped for that, and that alone. Anyone know how that works?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This particular transgression was, compared to the other lovely things he's done, probably easier to communicate because all you need to do is post a screenshot of the bit where two guys are holding a sign saying "kill all jews" and Pew pulling a face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

(and as far as I can tell he himself wasn't even the one who said anything, he just reacted to some guys holding a sign)

He paid them to write that on the sign.

Also, most of the reason he got dropped I'm sure is because it got mass media coverage. Dropping him from disney/youtube red was likely a publicity saving move done by the companies. He was with Maker for years before this after fighting a legal battle to get out of his Machinima contract, so they obviously didn't care when he wasn't getting news media attention for it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Yes, dozens of videos screaming about Le silly rape are definitely not easy to communicate. What the hell are you talking about

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's pretty weird that PewDiePie joked about rape, Mexican people, black people etc. for years and years without any reprisal, but the second Jews are brought into it (and as far as I can tell he himself wasn't even the one who said anything, he just reacted to some guys holding a sign) he gets dropped for that, and that alone. Anyone know how that works?

He did get called out on the racist and rape jokes earlier and stopped using them as of two or three years ago, as far as I'm aware (I don't watch his videos, so I'm going entirely by what I've heard). He even put out a video a year or so ago apologizing for having gotten his start doing hurtful jokes and claiming to have grown. They were also before he had big partnerships and sponsorships, and before YouTube was taking such a big interest in working with him personally beyond just hosting his videos, so there was nobody other than his audience (and advertisers, to be fair) to drop him in the first place.

That, and this stunt carried it out into the real world, so I think the average person has an easier time seeing its severity. He also paid the guys to make that sign, so he was involved personally.

That's not to say that he wasn't lovely as hell for the rape jokes and racist jokes, but he hasn't done those lately, and definitely not since securing contracts with companies like Disney who'll rightly drop him for stuff like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 14, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yes, dozens of videos screaming about Le silly rape are definitely not easy to communicate. What the hell are you talking about

Uh... he's not wrong? You have to actually watch the videos to see that stuff, but all you need is a screenshot of the jews thing. Someone telling you "pewdiepie makes offensive jokes" is not as effective as (and takes much more time than) showing you evidence of it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I guess I'm just curious as to why entertainment companies think 'jokes' about women, hispanics, blacks, asians, etc. are either perfectly fine or begrudgingly overlooked, but Jews are completely off limits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you read my post

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Uh... he's not wrong? You have to actually watch the videos to see that stuff, but all you need is a screenshot of the jews thing.

You can watch videos on a cell phone now. 56k modems aren't exactly a problem at this point.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It just works, as Todd Howard says.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

:yikes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I guess I'm just curious as to why entertainment companies think 'jokes' about women, hispanics, blacks, asians, etc. are either perfectly fine or begrudgingly overlooked, but Jews are completely off limits.

My assumption is that his time getting by on rape jokes and racist jokes is long enough ago (in internet time) that Disney and YouTube figured it was in the past and no longer relevant (though I'm not sure I agree with that). Had he gone back to those now, he'd probably have been dropped, too, or if he'd been still doing nothing but screaming rape jokes last year, he wouldn't have been contracted in the first place.

That's just a guess, though. Maybe you're right that there's some sort of double-standard, but I think the timeframes here are more likely the relevant part.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You can watch videos on a cell phone now. 56k modems aren't exactly a problem at this point.

And what percentage of people do you think read a news article and then click through to actually see the video? Compared to just putting the screenshot in a headline.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's gonna take people less time to digest a screenshot than a video of any length, and getting people to click on a video is a lot harder in the first place. It's more about exposure and ease of sharing than it is about the content.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

:yikes:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

are you loving retarded

judging by your post history I'm going to go with "yes"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Maybe it's in the contract.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes this seems like a good-faith conversation with real concern about the other targets of someone's jokes as opposed to something else

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno if you're trying to hint at some sort of Jewish conspiracy thing or whatever, but context is important here and probably has more to do with why Pewds got slapped than exactly who he decided to target. Turns out Disney cares more about things he's doing right now than things he did three years ago and has since apologized for (apparently not very sincerely, given this).

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

If that sign had said 'I LOVE RAPE!!' nothing would have happened to him.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If Walt was still around Ol' Pewds would be looking at a contract bonus, let me tell you!!

Help Im Alive posted:

You can finally date the Christmas cake. No gay dates tho, which is surprising and disappointing after 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Just say you think the media is desperate to defend jewish people already, we know it's what you're thinking about

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

And what percentage of people do you think read a news article and then click through to actually see the video? Compared to just putting the screenshot in a headline.

This is probably the biggest part of it.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Maybe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Are you TRYING to post like you want to write (((DISNEY)))) after every line or is that just a coincidence?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Just say you think the media is desperate to defend jewish people already, we know it's what you're thinking about

Defending Jews is perfectly fine. It's just strange that they don't seem very invested in defending any other group, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Well I uh...disagree?

• Locked thread