Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Yeah lol welcome to retail, want a credit card with insane interest? It's really good for building credit.

Also a 10% discount on this purchase for signing up and also the whole process takes like an hour. What a steal, it's practically free money and not a massive inconvenience to do all this at checkout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I liked the GameStop where I used to live because there was a girl there who loved anime games and the simple act of me buying an atlus game seemed to make her happy. Sometimes simple joys are all you need

You should have married her, and played anime games together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I'll start a video game publication for gamers, by gamers!

Will you pay me to write about the maybe one or two games a year I manage to finish?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Something like 2% of people who own Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN on PS4 have never even launched the game.

I'm among them because I just haven't had time. And that's on top of physical copies of some games I haven't even opened yet. One of these days I'll stop buying things that look cool but I know I won't get around to.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He's not chuckling in heaven now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one need to know what LP superstars think of current events.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Loot crates are garbage and should be unacceptable even for cosmetic stuff, but they are never going anywhere because gamers inexplicably defend them and there isn't really a competing product if a game you like decides to switch everything to them.

But I'm just being entitled by wanting to exchange money for a listed good.

PS Funbux middle man currencies also need to die.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Loot crates for random cosmetic stuff is really not anywhere on the same level at what people were actually deriding in gacha games.

They don't have to be on the same level to still be awful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Why does it suck though, since it does not affect the gameplay in any way? That's what has always weirded me out about the argument against purely cosmetic loot crates. You WANT, you don't NEED the cosmetics in there, and no doubt they would never exist otherwise. Having an option to buy them gives those who really, REALLY want some specific set or item to pay for them directly(in cases like dota or overwatch with in-order loot box loot), or often just let you pay for the skin directly.

Even setting aside the "give corporations an inch and they'll take a mile" reason, it's a system that is purely anticonsumer, like intermediate currencies. Saying it's loot boxes or nothing at all isn't correct. The correct comparison is loot boxes vs just buying the thing. The former is worse for the consumer in essentially every case. Whether it's gameplay or balance affecting is entirely irrelevant. Making loot crates affect gameplay is just worse.

This is also not even touching on the compromises it pushes on the game's design.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

f1av0r posted:

No, overwatch loot boxes are given to you for free. The contents in the box do not impact the actual gameplay in any way, and for the people who do purchase them, allows the game to continue churning out free content patches. I'm totally 100% fine with how they have monetized overwatch. But I'm the type of person who isn't a compulsive hoarder or base my self-esteem on game completion percentages.

In order to compare overwatch to a gacha game, you are looking at getting a Reinheart*2 that doesn't have shield barrier unlocked or a 4* Ana who is missing nanoboost. That would be admittedly a terrible game that I would hate.

Please don't defend anticonsumer practices. Also loot boxes don't "allow" blizzard to do poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Just to be clear here, you're talking about Overwatch's method and not the dota/csgo/tf2 method, correct?

Loot boxes are anticonsumer period. Some are just even more so.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

f1av0r posted:

I mean I'm telling you as a consumer, that I'm fine with it. I'm paying nothing past my initial 60$ dollars and getting free expansions/dlc content because people want to buy loot boxes. I'm okay with that

You can be fine with it all you like, that has zero relevance to the scheme being anticonsumer. And again, the loot box system is not supporting anything that could not be supported by a scheme that is better for the consumer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a special place in hell for moba devs who lock 90% of the roster out from a new player.

But progression, my man! Also you know people are overwhelmed by choice so we have to look out for them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The game's promotion is doing a terrible job on making to game look interesting, what little gameplay they've shown all looks super floaty and undefined and the characters look incredibly dull since it's mostly just boring humans with bad haircuts and muppet faces.

So it's a Mass Effect game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Even at its sloppiest in ME1 the original trilogy was at the very least a competent cover shooter than whatever it is they're going for with Andromeda. Also the fact that they're obviously trying so hard to be diverse and inclusive with the human characters this time around just makes them being so boring-looking that much worse.

Competent is a strong word to use for Mass Effect 1.

And like others have said, being inclusive is a fine thing, it's just Bioware does it very poorly because it's Bioware.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

as also a major coward when it comes to eye stuff, I considered just dealing with it forever because "having your cornea scraped off with a scalpel or lasered off" is not a pleasant proposition, but now that it's over and done with I can say I am happy I had it done even if the last ~10 days sucked because seeing well out of both eyes instead of one is a good thing

Not quite eye stuff, but I had a sort of similar feeling when I got nasal surgery. Like before it wasn't bad enough that I didn't think I could live with it, and the surgery and recovery period sucked, but afterward I'm glad I did it. Pain pills definitely helped, and thankfully I did not get addicted.

On a games note, today I will undertake the ultimate challenge and do my taxes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i always did my taxes but when i married my wife i couldn't anymore cause she has all her poo poo going to her childhood home in the mail for some reason cause she's too lazy to get a new id with our address on it so now my father in law just sends that all to a accountant that he pays for and i send my stuff to them to combine.

I only have a W2 and 1099-G to worry about typically, so turbotax works fine. gently caress if I'm gonna do it by hand from the basic forms.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lets hang out posted:

As long as the people getting screwed over aren't me, no remorse!

It's the American way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's your opinion on cities banning supersized soft drinks?

Supersized soft drinks are not an anticonsumer business model.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's probably something like they don't realise there are buttons on the controller to attack + block

In fairness, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I cant loving wait for Nier Automata.

I hope my friend 2B has a fun adventure with a happy ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought Owlboy was generally well regarded, but maybe not?

But then, 4chan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Can't seem to get attached to any games today :\ tried Warframe, Let It Die, Factorio, Path of Exile. Just kinda blah'd out I guess

Since you appear to be a Monster Hunter fan, have you tried Toukiden?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't tried Toukiden. I tried the God Eater games a while back and they didn't take even a little

I had a blast with Toukiden and didn't care much for the God Eater games, so you might want to consider it. Toukiden is definitely more of a streamlined and action-y game without the fiddly stuff of Monster Hunter like traps and weapon sharpening if that is a factor for you, but the weapons all feel good and varied and the setting and designs are cool. Flying enemies that you spend a lot of time chasing are still pretty annoying, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

didn't you see what lands in the desert at the end? thats some smile enducing get pumped poo poo.

at the rate i'm going i'm gonna have so many games unfinished by march 7th that i'm just gonna try and forget about them all as i play nier straight through 3-5 times depending on what the devs require for all endings

sorry yakuza and zelda and nioh.

I'm going to try to get Tales of Berseria and Fate Extella finished before Nier and Zelda drop. Might be waiting on Horizon since it's still a bit of an unknown.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

chumbler did you play TOukiden on PS4 or PC? 'cos this steam port seems like hot garbage so far performance wise

PC. Try flipping the "stabilization" option. I remember I was having occasional crashes with it on, but turning it off fixed it, though I haven't run it for a while. I don't remember having framerate or other graphical issues either way though, and I was on an older computer at the time.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 5, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah none of that's working for me, it's a crash happy laggy butt unfortunately. Oh well, this is what steam refunds are for I suppose.

drat, that sucks. I wish I knew a fix, but I didn't have to deal with any of those issues. At least you can get the refund.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's one of the better moba's. Reasonable gameplay mechanics.

"One of the better mobas" still isn't saying much of anything.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My copy of No Man's Sky just came in, looking forward to it!

Aren't you going to feel foolish when Star Citizen comes out!

Guy Mann posted:

At one point during development the No Man's Sky team claimed that they "had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.". Even if you take the most critical eye possible to the religious significance the creators of The Dragon, Cancer put on the game it's still nowhere near as pretentious as the things No Man's Sky was offering.

Jesus Christ that is some severe fart huffing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was a gamer because I had no life, then I got a job and am no longer even a gamer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

you act like I wouldn't be putting giant anime posters everywhere

the longest advent children wall scrolls

Advent Children? You need to up your wall scroll game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shy guys and boos are the best Mario enemies.

ImpAtom posted:

Shyguys are inhuman scum though and their suffering sustains me.

I bet you murder waddle dees.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Really Smart US Marketer: How about we take this game thats already complete and has English language versions shipping in mid February worldwide and push back the US release date to the same week as when Nintendo launches a new console and new Zelda game.

Just think how good it will look on their performance review when their release crushes the Switch + new Zelda release. Guaranteed successful plan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Castlevania netflix series ends up being a modern tale of a man losing his family and friends by gambling his life away, at Castlevania pachislot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ekster posted:

I remember trying to get into fighting games a while ago until I realized that it was going to take me as much time and effort as I did getting good at playing the piano.

If you're a piano player already you'll probably have a significantly easier time of it, really.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just learned that there is going to be a Destiny 2.

Why.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

I predict this game is going to... not do well

Don't be surprised to see fan response upset over this entry

I hear the demand for it has already bottomed

Yeah, it's not a pachislot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Injustice had a lot of great single player content and Injustice 2 will probably have even more

Yeah but you'd be playing Injustice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

10,000 would be an absurdly low number. 1,000 is like almost an insult.

I believe you'll find that it actually makes them even more special and valuable. Act fast, loyal gamestop customers.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Look man, you can't expect the giant company to do any quality control rather than letting their users do it or just shutting down small indie developers. Please think of the welfare of corporations.

• Locked thread