Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm mad at the guy who accidentally got the neutral path in SMTIV and doesn't want to do it because I tried to get it and barely missed and it was very upsetting

I'm glad Apocalypse did away with that bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Wait doesn't Apocalypse have different endings too?

Yes but there's no obtuse requirements and you can just pick which one you want. Choices you make throughout still matter but it's because when you make the ending choice if you go the opposite way that you've been acting, there's a gameplay penalty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Oh cool. Ive just reached 3/8th moon (I met Flynn and then got murked by Odin). How far am I from the split? Ive never actually finished an SMT game so I'm curious how much more game there is after the choice.

The split is after 7/8. There's not quite as much after the split as in 4, but each route has some unique bosses, and the final boss has some insane mechanics which are different for each route. It's cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

I would pay 50 dollars a year if miiverse was allowed to live on

This

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I just played through Luigi's Mansion (original) for the first time and got a Rank E house lmao the amount of money you need to get high ranks must be absurd.

Also I still had three Boos left but I didn't know where they were at all and then when I beat the game it overwrote my save file with a NG+ without warning me so I guess I'm done.

It's not hard to get a rank B mansion once you know a few of the more obscure ways to make money (watering all the plants for instance, catching all the boos gets you a big diamond).

But for a Rank A mansion you need to get into the real tough stuff like one time spawning golden mice, blue ghosts, and getting as many pearls from the portrait ghosts as possible. It isn't TOO hard if you know what you're doing but it takes some effort.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Good to know E wasn't the lowest then.

So King Boo doesn't count as a boo? But that one boss that was like 20 boos in one does??

Still a mystery where those last three were. I checked all the rooms over again and nothing came up on the boodar. There are two greyed-out rooms on the map (one of them has a door that's boarded up). Is there a way to get in there or something?

You can get into every room on the map yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Also in the PAL version you can't get an A-rank except in NG+, because it requires more money than is in the game

Lol that's hosed up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

As a kid I made it a point to get the best mansion possible in Luigi's Mansion. Now, if I remember correctly, doing this required getting virtually 100% of the money in the entire game. And one thing you absolutely had to do was water the plants outside, because doing it enough times would give you a shitload of money. I went through that entire game, doing everything right, and forgot to water the plants ONE loving TIME.

I got the second best mansion.

It was the first time a video game broke my heart. It would not be the last.

You don't have to do literally everything but if you didn't know about the really obscure money stuff then yeah you wouldn't be able to miss any plants or pearls. There's almost 50,000,000 more than you need for the highest rank, but it's easy to lose some, fail to vacuum some up, or miss secret/one time spawns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sometimes games should die

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:sweatdrop:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah making peace with the fact that basically every quest was going to be grey for the rest of the game was something I had to do very early on. I can't imagine feeling like you level up too slowly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

:confused: I feel underleveled as hell. Even in Velen, I keep running into packs of level 16 drowners guarding loot chests while I'm still level 12. This might all be exacerbated by the fact that I keep trying to clear every single ? on the map, of which there's like a hundred. I'm at like 20-25 hours already. I might be playing this game wrong.

Those are your indication that you're not supposed to try and explore everywhere and collect all the ? right away. Doing that is a good way to burn yourself out. Let the quests and plot guide you around the world and take excursions when something seems interesting. Yes you will occasionally run into monsters that are too high level to deal with, but they're never guarding anything critical and you can always come back later. Taking level appropriate quests and following the plot will have you leveling up very quickly and then you can collect things more easily.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know who to believe!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

I'm going to spend 60 dollars on Nier

Me too, unless I find it cheaper by the time I finish Zelda

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I too am blizzarded in today so it's time to finally beat Wild Arms 3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can into work through the goddamn snow only for my boss to have contacted everyone but me to let us know we're closed, followed by "Oh well if you're already there do you mind working today?" Feeling a little salty.

:eyepop:

That's hosed up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Oh then I guess I'm further from the end than I expected :sweatdrop:

Yeah the Cosmic Egg isn't the end

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you wait till Baccarat it's way easier to get all the tokens you could ever need.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah, the famous Peach-età

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

exclusive in-game clothing

It's a nintendo switch t-shirt

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's mostly that A) the first DLC is pretty lame and B) you don't have the option to buy them separately for a lower price if you only want one of them

I'd get pack 2 for 10 dollars but I'm wary about paying 20 when there's nothing in pack 1 that interests me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like even Hyrule Warriors let you buy each DLC separately if you wanted, so if you waited until they were all out and found out that only one of them was worth it, you could just get that one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Is this the first time they've done a season pass aka the dumbest type of dlc?

Hyrule warriors had one too, but it was optional

E: Yeah MK8 too, but again they could still be bought separately as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm posting into the wind today

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They did kind of the same thing with Twilight Princess HD requiring an Amiibo to unlock Hero Mode, which was the most low effort thing ever, so I guess that worked out for them.

No it didn't. Hero mode was part of the game regardless, the amiibo only unlocked the special Wolf dungeon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That's not a good comparison. Birthright and Conquest are both full-length Fire Emblem campaigns that are like 30+ hours each, each with a full roster of characters and separate maps. That, and you got half off of one if you bought the other, so you'd get like a 60-hour game for $60, which seems fine by me.

I got a 140 hour game for $80

Nintendo is capable of good and bad DLC. I just think this Zelda one is one of the bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda literally comes out next month and there's almost zero hype for it, we know almost nothing about what it is, except you can date a cat alien thing in it and the combat has becomes a cross between Mass Effect 2 and Vanquish-Lite

I'm really curious to see how it does and whether or not the Mass Effect 3 furor really did end up destroying all goodwill for the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah there's no story or anything really (outside of the Untold remakes) and it's probably the most user friendly.
The only real reason not to is if you're planning on playing the earlier games at some point you should do that first since they'll be hard to go back to after 4.

Well there's no reason to go back to 1 and 2 since they were remade, and if you end up loving the series 3 isn't hard to go back to at all. But yes 4 is a great place to start.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lots of webcomics are good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I said Gunnerkrigg was good earlier but to be honest I am not really feeling it either because it's becoming pretty obvious that Tom doesn't have the guts to kill off any of the main characters even though the story keeps getting darker and darker. There's no tension anymore. :/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I am unafraid to admit in the presence of FactsAreUseless that I would've been 100% ok with Smitty biting it if it meant the comic would have some kind of tension again. As is, whenever the characters are in danger it's like "ok so how many pages will it be before the situation resolves itself in like 5 panels".

The threat of death is not the only kind of conflict necessary in a story. GC isn't that kind of story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Final Fantasy 9 is the only one I've liked.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

VideoGames that rules thread is a french chef doing that kissing motion with his fingers

c'est magnifique

That parting shot at the end :eyepop:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

the period of time from the moon landing to your birth is probably shorter than your birth to right now

:aaaaa:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

babypolis posted:

thats true but trails is not an AAA franchise. the holy grail is a big budget game where choices carry over to the next game in a meaningful way. thats unworkable right now but im sure its doable with some yet unknown trickery and good game design and maybe advances in technology

It's AAA in my heart

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm either going to buy a PS4 Pro or a Nintendo Switch soon and I can't decide which one. On the PS4 Pro front, I already have a PS4, but that means I can sell that to make up like half the cost of the Pro if Craigslist prices in my area are anything to go by, so the Pro's going to ultimately be cheaper than the Switch. However, I also don't have a 4k TV, so I won't get the most that I could out of the PS4 Pro. I'm in it for the smoother frame rates on some games and the fact that some games are only actually going to be 1080p on the Pro at all.

On the other hand, I won't be able to get a Switch for a while, judging by how they're all sold out, and I'd probably only play Breath of the Wild on it for several months anyway. But I'd also be able to play Breath of the Wild in 1080p and be set up for when Nintendo starts to release more games for it later.

The better answer is probably "don't buy either" but drat it, I like my stupid video game toys.

Best plan: save your money for now, get BOTW on Wii U, buy a Switch when it gets more games, never buy a Pro

I steadfastly refuse to buy incremental upgrades until and unless something happens to my old one. I did finally get a New 3DS but only because I got it cheap and my old one was wearing out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Your best bet is to just get let yourself splurge on some cool new games and don't get saddled with hardware you don't need and the issues that go with that. Not as shiny but more bang for the buck and fewer regrets.

Buying tons of games and only the bare minimum of hardware to run them. That's the way I live my life

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Like, I get why you would oppose incremental upgrades on an ideological level, but... Upgrading the system that you have, and you know you like, and you know will play the games you already own, is not a stupid choice...

Going from ps4 to ps4pro is like buying a new video card. Pc gamers do it all the time. And and 400 dollars for a new video card is really not that steep.

I don't care about a single thing that the PS4 Pro does better. Does the PS4 let me play the games? Yes. That's all I care about and so for me any amount of money spent on an upgrade would be a waste.

Plus it's a practice I personally don't want to encourage from companies, for all the good that'll do.

Also this

In Training posted:

But that is exactly why I have a console, so I don't have to worry about that crap

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

You ever play a game too much and then keep playing it in your head for a little while after you stop? Happening to me with Picross lately. This game is too addictive.

When I was going all out on Picross 3D Round 2 I had dreams about it sometimes it was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:retrogames:

• Locked thread