Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

devtesla posted:

Blizzard refuses to call HotS a MOBA despite it clearly being one, likely as some kind of "it's not just another MOBA!" marketing strategy.

They were trying to call Warcraft 3 a "role playing strategy" game for a while too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Some hot takes in the Style over Substance section.

E: Actually that applies for a lot of it, and it's pretty funny to see stuff in the Best and Worst lists for the same category

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 5, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

I thought Owlboy was generally well regarded, but maybe not?

But then, 4chan.
Owlboy is a pretentious game that has style but no substance but is also one of the best new IPs, apparently.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

There is no good reason for Valve to actually make HL3. They already make more money than god and the risk is too high of people holding it against them even if it's merely good

You can always be richer, and it would be easier to buy the "expectations are too high!" arguments if games like Doom and XCOM didn't have successful sequels after long gaps.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

precision posted:

Instead of doing yet another trilogy playthrough on PS3, I'm considering picking up the Mass Effect games on PC. My question is, are there any good mods that significantly change the games up?
There are some texture mods and some that improve loading but there's nothing remotely essential I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Hopefully the person in hr who did it gets severely reprimanded/fired at least

Or at least someone with their last name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

uh oh pancho! posted:

i finally got the witness from that humble bundle and i'm going into it blind, so far i'm about 2 hours in and just discovered the purpose of those black obelisks around the map and goddammit that's pretty neat but it feels super daunting to find all that poo poo

it's one of the best eureka moments in a game full of them

they are super optional though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

uh oh pancho! posted:

neat, that's good to know. i was worried that was needed to make progress. then again, not really sure what progress exactly is yet, other than lighting a bunch of laser beams.

You've got the gist of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Same.

gently caress depression.

I'm worse off without my pills but I wish my pills did more than they're currently doing.

And trying to new pills takes weeks or months, without any guarantee.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And GO and Guardian of Light are completely different (both from each other and the main series) while also being really good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

oddium posted:

there were still woolly mammoths hanging around for a few hundred years after the pyramids were built

Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

What about Burnout Paradise?

It's great but it doesn't have a proper crash mode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's a crash mode? (I've only really played Burnout Paradise as a driving game, see)

You smash into a group of cars at specially set up intersections. It's mostly about picking a good line so you cause a huge cascade of crashes.

There's something kinda like it in Paradise but it's not the same.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

....Bowling?

That's a far better comparison than anything I thought of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The Witness is so loving good you guys. Like, it's not perfect and I don't feel bad at all for using a guide for a few of the more obscure or involved puzzles but I'm still loving just about everything about it.

I might still like The Talos Principle more as a whole but The Witness is so much more unique and weird and I'm glad I managed to avoid getting spoiled about it aside from some Twitter drama about the ending and a certain optional objective that was pretty funny at the time but also gave me a completely wrong idea of what the game would be like.

Yeah it's really loving great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

How far in are you? I was enjoying it in a janky sort of way until I got to the second main area. :/

I didn't mind the jungle area but yeah, the first area was the highlight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I never played it but it looked neat. Come to think of it, I haven't played any of the Klei games I own outside of trying and utterly failing to make a mod for Don't Starve.
I cannot recommend Mark of the Ninja and Invisible Inc. highly enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In Training posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is some grade-A video game word salad

There are 5 other permutations of those words and they all sound equally plausible and stupid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

just wait forthe sequel horizon one mid-morning and you'll see why it was the way it was

Zenith One Dusk.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Why isn't called Dinosaur Robot Hunter.

I'm not sure whether that's about a robot who hunts dinosaurs, a person who hunts dinosaur robots, or a robot dinosaur who hunts, but I like all the options.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

God Dark Souls 2 is so frustrating. Losing max health when you die is such a lovely mechanic, I still can't believe they looked at the absolute worst element of Demon's Souls and said "that's fine, let's do that again". At least in Demon's Souls the game was balanced around you having half health all the time.

I've no idea what it's like now but the Small Soapstone was great for getting max health back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

I have to say that this just looks like some random clunky cover shooter, yeesh.

The player is underusing the mobility options a bit.

As for who plays it, it's not like there are a plethora of other similar games.

• Locked thread