Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wendell posted:

It isn't bad that some people had a brief and civil discussion.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I streamed for multiple days in a row this week because I was restless but still couldn't go anywhere due to the pain from my kidney stones and I gotta say, it was a lot of fun but it did wear me out. I can't imagine doing it for twice as long as I did every day. That would suck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can you make a living from video uploads these days, though? From what I've seen the people who donate to streamers, especially the ones that go hog wild and drop hundreds of dollars, do it for interaction with the streamer and to get a reaction

God, no. Money made from ad revenue etc is loving awful. You absolutely need an outside source of income like donations etc to make a living doing streaming or youtube videos unless you are one of the absolute most popular.

edit: My source for this btw is myself. I made 100 dollars a year from youtube ad revenue with ads turned up to the max on all of my videos, whereas I currently make about 150 dollars a month from my Patreon which is totally donator-based. So I turned ads off on my youtube videos because it's not even worth it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I forgot how hard and overcharted some of the songs at the end of Guitar Hero 2 and 3 are. Jesus christ gently caress Psychobilly Freakout so hard.

edit: gently caress Institutionalized also, unlike Psychobilly Freakout I like that song but holy crap they had a field day with these trills

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

pull off and hammer ons were hosed up in guitar hero 1 but better from then on at least from what i remember at least they fixed that

Yeah, the timing in GH2 is a lot more generous than the other games. I think there's a loading screen tip poking fun at how HOPO's were busted in GH1 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBpRKVcxCI

gently caress this song also. Again, like the song, hate what they did to it. It actually wouldn't be so bad if there weren't those goddamn HOPO's in the middle of the strumming because you might accidentally hit them AS hopo's and the game will then interpret the strumming wrong and you'll lose your combo.

edit: The only songs in the last couple tiers of GH2 that aren't overcharted as hell are Madhouse, YYZ, Beast and the Harlot, Hangar 18, and Free Bird. Everything else (The Trooper, Rock This Town, Laid to Rest, Psychobilly Freakout, Carry Me Home, Institutionalized, and Misirlou) is hard for the sake of being hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like hell it is. The notes in that song may as well form a middle finger that comes directly at you.

edit: Also, I am of the opinion that guitar hero is more fun on hard despite being good at it on expert because of songs like that. God drat that psychobilly and his freakout.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Free Bird continues to be the best song in the game, and also I forgot how awesome the end of the game is. I just got the Grim Reaper abducted by aliens at Stonehenge and they flew off with him leaving a message saying "Live and Let Rock" among the stars, all set to fireworks, after getting 5 stars on Free Bird. Video games were a good idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I missed getting the 5 star rating by 3800 points and I am upset because it would have taken like literally 10 more notes to get there. gently caress this goddamn song why didn't they just cover Dick Dale's version instead of making their own weird version

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been around long before the Dick Dale version and there's a bunch of different ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou?wprov=sfsi1

The GH2 version says "as made famous by Dick Dale", his is the version they mangled

Only 700 god drat points away this time. I will get five stars on this fukken song.

edit:

A WINNER IS YOU

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what all the songs they couldn't get the rights to the original version and had to do their own say.

No I know, but their version is a cover of the Dick Dale version, it's just faster and shittier.

Time to play Psychobilly Freakout until I get 5* on it, somewhere oddium is laughing at me :suicide:

edit: lol first try, look at that smug reaper and his iron jaw

vvv don't worry about it :respek:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Success! 5 stars on every song on Expert. :toot:

Time to move onto Guitar Hero 3 but maybe after a nice long break because my wrist is on fire

edit

Quest For Glory II posted:

You could theoretically make a poverty living

It used to be that the ad rate on Youtube was 1000 views to a dollar but that ain't what it is now. still, if you can get to a point where each video of yours is getting 5-6 figure views, then maybe

right now my channel runs 5 videos a day, so 150 videos a month but i do it for fun and to help clear my backlog so i only get a few views per video. if i was Serious Gaming Professional Career Person.... each video would have to hit at least 25k views for it to really accumulate anything, i feel like

oh yeah there's also the whole ContentID thing if you aren't on an MCN, you have to be sure that the developer is okay with you running ads, because some aren't (like Telltale for example). you have to be on Nintendo's program to do Nintendo games sooo I don't do Nintendo games lol

With Youtube's default ad structure it's 40,000 views = $100, give or take some based on how long your videos are (because the length of the video changes how many ads can run on it, up to 3). Having a network attached to your channel will bump up the money you make and the views required down, but they take a percent of your earnings that imo is never ever worth it. What's more important though is that people actually watch the ads instead of skipping them or blocking them because that gets you far less money, and the vast overwhelming majority of people who watch gaming videos are absolutely savvy enough to be using an ad blocker.

edit: Generally speaking, using Youtube's ads and Google's payment structure as a way to make money is impossible unless you make that 40,000 views on every video. But even then, the amount you earn per ad will actually go down the more popular you are because lol corporate greed, so you will need more views to make the same amount of money as somebody less popular.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Moral of the story: Be like me, go to patreon lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

You should put that mindset away for GH3, Through the Fire and Flames will break anyone but the most committed.

:getin: My determination knows no bounds

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I definitely am not going to 100% it, but you only need... uh... 566,000 points to 5 star it. That's totally doable, definitely, for sure :sweatdrop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a kitten posted:

Dogs and Dark Souls on the same page? Did i ever just find the right thing.

And of course there's the corrupted Bloodborne version

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Can I just say I have always really appreciated the original Guitar Hero trilogy's aesthetic, because man these weird tutorial images always make me smile

edit: how about a pic that is slightly less inexplicably gigantic

edit again: well it's still gigantic, a big big love, i give up

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One time I dove into the random online play of GH World Tour and some guys who were grouped were jokin at me because I named my character my own name instead of like GuitarGod or Tony Hawk or w/e, but then I owned them at expert guitar and we became impromptu friends so it's all good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

I knew GH2 was good when I played the Spinal Tap song and the drummer exploded at the end.

Yup, even when I was younger I got that joke because I'd seen This Is Spinal Tap and I was like :eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sooner you accept that enemies in the COD campaigns are paper targets with slightly more mobility and nothing more unless they have a name, the sooner you will be able to play them and have fun instead of thinking about how many orphans and widows you have created

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Could've fooled me!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think the current generation is bad, and the previous ones? Wise and noble as all hell.

Having seen who the previous generations elected for the US presidency recently, no you're super wrong they're bad too! Everyone is bad for different reasons! :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Parents suck

Parents just don't understand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hint: The phrase "adulting" is self-deprecating and in good humor, not everybody is a sad sack y'know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

then why have i only ever heard maladjusted people say it, like the sort of person who smells of pig poo poo but has a desk job and doesn't live anywhere near pigs

It's because you have a problem with projecting my dude

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

idk maybe it's a cultural difference, the normal people i interact with generally say "oh brah i gotta go bank and then afterwards can do whateva ok shoots" instead of "i need to adult"

The people you interact with sound like fuckin' tools

edit: Tools who never bathe

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, having just played it in guitar hero, the lyrics to School's Out by Alice Cooper have always bothered me because think about the gall it takes

quote:

Well we got no class
And we got no principals
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes

to just like write down that you can't think of a word that rhymes instead of changing the line. God drat you and your cool snake, Alice Cooper.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I started a new playthrough of Dark Souls 2 this evening as per the reddit thing going on and I already gave up. Man that game controls like poo poo. The weird deadzone issues and overall weightlessness of the controls are just reminding me why I've got literally 10 times as many hours of playtime in the other two games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mafia 3 would've been cool with GTA San Andreas' gang wars style gameplay where you could like, do survival mode stuff occasionally in random locations to take neighborhoods from other gangs. That was pretty fun and a cool idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Spelunky Spelunky Spelunky

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God Dark Souls 2 is so frustrating. Losing max health when you die is such a lovely mechanic, I still can't believe they looked at the absolute worst element of Demon's Souls and said "that's fine, let's do that again". At least in Demon's Souls the game was balanced around you having half health all the time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 5 could have been fun to play if they'd just used Max Payne 3's control scheme instead of the stupid one they went with. Yes, make me hold down the A button at literally all times or else I walk, thanks. I can definitely see the benefits of this. Walking to running based on stick sensitivity, what's that? :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've no idea what it's like now but the Small Soapstone was great for getting max health back again.

Thankfully the reddit event that's going on now makes getting summoned pretty easy, but the game is definitely gonna go right back to being dead after it concludes and the Bloodborne event starts so it's a temporary solution at best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The annoying thing is that neither ending A or B is satisfying despite both providing a sound payoff to their respective character's story because in-world you are doing it to either dissuade a billionaire shithead tool or militarized mafia tools to leave you alone, and not because it's the natural conclusion to the story. And then the third ending (the one they want you to go with) is just dumb because it wraps up everything in like 20 minutes without actually wrapping up anything at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

They eventually added a Third Person Shooter control option that lets you press the left stick to activate run mode and hold it to sprint. Only took them 3 years.

I know this is from a few pages back now but holy poo poo, I might need to replay GTA 5 now :eyepop:

edit: Does anyone know what this option is actually called in the game menus?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neat, I will give it a shot and hope the game is more fun that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. All the Mass Effect games, and RPGs in general, have their fair share of goofy/low budget animations in their 30+ hour playtime.

Yes but sometimes those games also have good graphics and animation, whereas this game has consistently shown that it has none of either.

edit: Remember that this isn't just goofy animations, this is what they chose to show the public. This is what they decided best represents the game. They sent this to IGN in this state and said "eople who are undecided on whether or not they're gonna buy it, this is what our game will look like".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

Eh, yeah but it's one 1 second clip in a big thing. It reminds me of the Brom scene from Horizon. It's really bad but having played the game for 12 hours now, I can say that the voice acting is usually competent and that was an outlier. However, Even stranger is that the facial animation rigging is also uneven because sometimes it's really good and sometimes it's even worse than what we saw in that scene.

I would agree with you were it not for that preview where the facial animations were all hosed and ugly, followed by a statement by Bioware that they recognized players' complaints and fixed them, followed by more previews where it isn't even slightly better- almost certainly changed, but not fixed.

Jay Rust posted:

We need March thread titles.

Nintendo Geographic Feature Film: March of the Joycons

• Locked thread