Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

suuma posted:

Yeah, it's great. I just got involved in other games and put it down for a while.

I know everybody says they're not super comparable but I can't help making the comparison - I beat Dark Souls 1 like 15 times and got all of the achievements, but just couldn't really get into 2. 3 was great but I never finished it because there was too much other stuff to play.

Dark Souls 1 has the best replayability is probably a big part. 2 has an extremely slow start, and 3 nerfed strength and magic builds into the abyss so you have like 2 build options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does the hummingbird do

I hope you try to eat it all game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't new. Gamestop was doing this as decade ago, it was one of my first part-time jobs and the exact same thing happened then.

Yeah lol welcome to retail, want a credit card with insane interest? It's really good for building credit.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Looper posted:

I moved to Colorado over the summer :( missed goon connections...

Welcome to Colorful Colorado. Where the air is filled with weed smoke and housing prices are escalating far faster than wages.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Fire Emblem heroes is good and fun. Repeatedly murdering the dumb characters from fates and loli dragons with the OG green cavalier and friends is cool and good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The crowdfunding could also assist obsidian if they want to move towards publishing in-house. Something the devs have talked about, mentioning CDProjekt as an inspiration.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I missed it a few pages back, but while I understand gacha complaints usually, I dont get it for Fire Emblem. The heroes you get from the story mode cover the 3 weapon types as well as an archer. And those story heroes have some kick rear end abilities. The rpg progression really prevents the gacha from being a necessity, especially if you invest the tonnes of currency they give you into increasing your exp gain.

Like yeah, if you want to get deep into pvp or collect your specific favourite dude, i could see wasting money on the game. But those things have always specifically targeted whales. For playing the game, aside from the single novelty pull i did at the start, Ive been cruising through the story mode without issue.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

HHi everybody I am currently at a one-day anuime convention and I am operating on not a lot of restul sleep and my fiancee bought a cute little pokemon pikachu blind bag thing where it's a bunch of mmini furniture based around pikachu and the blind bag she got ended up having a pokemon tv with a pikachu hanging off of it and a soda and a bucket of popcorn with a pokemon label on it and it is fun except for the part where I am struggling to stay awake and am on the verge of crashing and I might just head out to the carr and fall asleep for a few hours because ughhhhhh

How is everybody else doing today

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Targeting whales is bad you idiot

Targeting whales with things most sane individuals dont care about is good actually. It lets me play this dumb but fun game for free without remorse because i know the devs are getting paid.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

lets hang out posted:

As long as the people getting screwed over aren't me, no remorse!

Willingly putting money into a gacha is the same as putting money into a slot machine, but you can only redeem the tokens you win for desktop backgrounds.

Saying whales are getting screwed is weird.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Snak posted:

The "soul matching" system in Nioh helps with the fiddly loot bits quite a bit. There's a bit more to it, butthe gist of it is that you can upgrade the level of an equiptment item by feeding it another item of a higher level. The original item becomes the levek of the new item.

So rather than constantly having ti swao gear to new stuff, you can just feed it to your old stuff. I had a level 6 sword, and got a level 14 spear as a drop. Soul Match, my sword is now level 14.

Ditto with armor. It's a really neat way to to it. There's also a refashion system so you can make your armor look like any armor you jave previously picked up. You don't even have to still have it. So fashion is alive and very well.

Hell yeah, took the one thing mmos did right and made it better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Post ITT if you want great benefits, wonderful scenery, and beautiful times in Aztlan! My Corp is looking to hire unattached fixers who want an easy milk run and some beautiful people to spend your nights with! Single, teamless fixers only please!

Easy money, sign me up.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In For Honors defense/shame, the characters it says are easy are the hardest to play right and are very much not like a fighting game character. Unlike my friend Berserker who is all about combos mixups and dodges in addition to parrys and counters.

That said, the 4v4 game mode is real poorly balanced. If one person is really good it instantly becomes 3v4.
Also weabos suck at action games so the faction war is hilarious.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

On one hand I agree but on the other money+people isn't enough of an explaination for making better games when you look at the industry as a whole. CDPR's improvements in release quality shows they had some insanely talented people willing to learn from the start and some very good management with a vision.

from what I've gathered from forum posts and interviews that i've briefly seen, it seems to be a similar thing to how the Deadpool movie was so good despite being on such a small budget. They made an actual big plan and worked on the game after a majority of ideas and writing was more settled than most game devs(or blockbuster films). So they worked more cohesively and efficiently instead of remaking things as new concepts float in. To use everyone's favourite comparison, Bethesda is very clearly compartmentalized and the weirdness and terrible/inconsistent writing and gameplay comes from them shoving everything together after they're produced.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So i just discovered that Two Worlds 2 is getting a new DLC this quarter. It's a six year old game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Do any of you know if there is a thread for discussion of OCD stuff, I tried searching but I couldn't find anything. Mostly I'm just trying to see if there's a name for something I have to deal with and I can't seem to get google to spit out any good information for me.

I dont know about that question. But you can ask here, or dm me or on steam(same username) and i can try and help. I live with two psychologists so we could try and point you the right way. Thoughts go out to you either way. Ocd is rough stuff to deal with.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

This is completely out of nowhere, but I always thought it was strange that rugrats in paris had such a heavily japanese theme to it, like they couldn't decide between "rugrats go to paris" and "rugrats go to japan" so they just combined the two

That is really weird now that you mention it. Maybe its because everything cool about paris is for adults

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I played chivalry when it was a source mod competitively for a few months. We were knights of the round table and i was knighted as Sir Galahad. Which, knowing arthurian legends, is both rad and humiliating as a young man.

Otherwise, at one point i could reliably give the same info on Oblivion as uesp.net
Think i spent 800 hours on that game, on xbox 360 only too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I volunteered at a cat shelter for 2 years before recently moving. There are lots of great cats out there looking for a good home, go adopt one or two!

Reminder to everyone that older animals have a harder time getting a home. And usually they have better temperments and in general seem to greatly appreciate having a home and family.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr E posted:

No it's had plenty of breaks, it needs to more breaks or boats.

Berserk makes HxH look like it has a good release schedule.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

What's the best musou to start with these days? I've never played one but I'm not opposed to semi-mindless hacking and slashing every now and again.

If you like, dragon quest, zelda, or gundam, they have good musou games.
If you like anime i recommend Sengoku Basara
Otherwise, newer games in the series have more content.

If you prefer european styles, ninety nine nights is okay/good.

If you have a ps2, Dynasty Warriors 2 is my favourite in terms of OTT voice acting and buttmetal soundtracks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why are they so bad at videogames?

I mean, if i could make a decent living writing about videogames with a lower than high school writing level, i would be going to the beach and partying instead of retaining my gamer skillz.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

In Training posted:

What even is the worst aspects of RE4...QTEs?

Re4 is the game where they started getting rid of tank controls and feels very much like an experiment in control design.

It also has the series staple inverted difficulty curve.(It gets easier as the game goes on, even if the player isn't actually getting better)

And yeah, the QTEs were the first AAA game that really used them and really overused them iirc from the reception when it was new.

It was also made during the wonderful Brown gaming years.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi feb games chat thread, not sticking around long because I'm tired and am gonna try to sleep because I'm not feeling well, but I haven't told anybody that I hope they're doing well in a while and I wanted everyone here to know that I'm still thinking of them and wishing them the best. Keep on keeping on. I believe in you.

Thanks buddy, hope you feel better and get some good rest.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You are appreciated.

I just wanna say, this is not said enough to anyone. I had a customer tell me that the other day during a hard day at work, and it made the whole day better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr E posted:

I bought Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and I'm very very bad at it. I tried out hard at first but switched to normal classic cause hard was too hard for me :shobon:.

Birthright gives you map grinding, so be prepared to bowl over the whole game soon, regardless of initial difficulty.

Specifically it is somewhat difficult until the story split, where birthright really starts showing its easy colors.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I unlocked that clock guy in DKR because i'm a loving masochist

:cool::hf::aaa:

Im impressed, i tried but my brother had to do it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I mean, why did he think Waluigi's nose is so discolored?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The difference between 60 and 30 is pretty negligible to me. The main problem is that if it's a pretty game 30fps is usually an indicator that the game will slow down when explosions and other effects show up.

Tldr if it's steady i dont care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Honestly, i found DOOM and Wolfenstein to be perfectly alright but perfectly dull at the same time and Tomb Raider 2013 was the good one but the newer one added open-world poo poo and boring subquests that were just utter poo poo.

Agreed on Doom/Wolf. Tombraider felt more like a 3d metroidvania sans backtracking.

• Locked thread