Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blackfyre posted:

I just saw a video with one of the new Mass Effects VA's talking about how their character is quirky and goofy, interspersed with some bad looking shots of the game.

Its going to suck isn't it.

Really, when were you expecting anything else out of this franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/willoneill/status/827710584183463937

uh oh

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Even at its sloppiest in ME1 the original trilogy was at the very least a competent cover shooter than whatever it is they're going for with Andromeda. Also the fact that they're obviously trying so hard to be diverse and inclusive with the human characters this time around just makes them being so boring-looking that much worse.

Being inclusive isn't bad

But who here played Mass Effect for the human characters? Anyone?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think I just finished the last puzzle in the Talos Principle - that was the last one! I can finally see what's on top of the tower a year after starting this game!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

enjoy its a great sequence up there that made me wish more of the game was like it

It's fantastic but it's timed and I had a brainfart and failed on a puzzle so now I get to do it allll over again. :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Took me three tries due to being slow at puzzles + excessive screenshot taking, but I BEAT THE TALOS PRINCIPLE! :woop:

That ending was absolutely worth it, even that last slog of puzzles at the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

devtesla posted:

Now enjoy Road To Gehenna it's even better.

Help Im Alive posted:

I managed to get through the talos principle fairly smoothly without looking up any solutions (except for some of the stars) but some of the puzzles in the DLC were way too much for my tiny broken brain

I'm planning to pick up Road to Gehenna next time it's on sale, but I'm concerned about the difficulty of the puzzles because I got like one star and wasn't interested in that weird out of the box style puzzling, so...uh. How much of Gehenna will I spend with a walkthrough video open so I can experience the plot?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone ever wish they didn't spend twenty thousand hours playing video games

What else am I supposed to do with my miserable life

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've been reading this visual novel for a while and I was curious about how long it is and it's like...forty hours?

I'm going to finish it next year at the rate I've been reading it.

I'm not necessarily complaining, I'm just...that's a lot more than I expected, wow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

weak wrists big dick posted:

Is Stardew Valley co-op yet? It's the main reason I picked it up, and it was "coming soon after release" a year ago when it was released.

Nope!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Heh, arachnophobia. Even jumping spiders bother you with their cute little eyes?

Buddy, I can't even handle daddy long-legs. They make me yelp and get help for clearing out a room, because they're terrifying.

e: I can handle them in videogames just fine, weirdly enough. But in real life? Nooooo no no.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel bad for arachnophobes, spiders are largely the most harmless things and really easy to deal with (cup over them, slide paper under, toss outside) but some people turn into mewling messes when faced with a bathroom spider

It's because - like mice and bats - they can move really, really fast if they want to and climb your legs.

I know most of them don't actually move very much, but we get these huge spiders (not sure what breed, but they're like the size of a quarter) that like to creep around the floor and send me running. At that point, it doesn't matter if they're harmless: they're here and they're moving and :gonk:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/829089215895969792

why does this thing exist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

some people need to see some legs and arms and a bratz doll's head floating in the dark i guess

I'm more concerned about how it's candy that you can eat :psyduck:

e: Wait, am I an idiot - did they really name their line of toys after a candy?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

What is the cleanest convention

Cereal Convention. Those guys are meticulously clean

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

For those who read the Thermidor thread, it's now in the goldmine. I urge you to look at the image in either the first or last post because the original op got into a thread closing war with Palpek and I and it was quite special. :D

My god, it's beautiful

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Konami asked Nintendo how they can revive interest in the Bomberman series like how Fire Emblem was revived.

Nintendo told them to just fill it with fictional women and/or girls.

And so we arrived here.

:sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Estirdalin/status/830080705132687367

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I can't find the kickstarter thread but I just saw someone is trying to get an Apocalypse Now game funded with Coppola's blessing. It doesn't look like it'll reach it's target and their pitch seems pretty bad. I just want to make sure people have been laughing at the idea of some 5 million dollar Apocalypse Now RPG

Oh, people have been laughing at it in the KS thread.

e: f;b!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/willoneill/status/830296703605604353

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

What is steam direct

tl;dr

steam greenlight is dead

steam direct is the new system and apparently you have to pay a fee like 5000$ to get your game on steam, which is bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

itch.io's pretty cool

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That's essence of Shadowrun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

no one want to play on pc because the kind of people who say pc master race all play on pc

insert "not all men" argument here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've been craving a little stress in my games so I turned Cook Serve Delicious back on and finally finished getting the best restaurant and acing the Hungry Festivities.

The problem with this game is that it keeps showing me delicious food, so I'm gonna have to break out the rice cooker tomorrow and make something fancy for myself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Depending on if there's any chicken left over by the time I get up, I'm thinking rice + veggies + chicken in the cooker - so technically not fancy, but it'll be a change of pace from the burritos I've been having. :D

Also, I beat the main game mode in CSD and good lord the game does not screw around in extreme mode. The customers have no patience, you have to play nearly perfectly just to keep things from timing out, and hoo boy. I want those achievements, but may not be capable of 'em!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Man I could go for a good burrito right now. Maybe I'll see if I can get the materials for them tomorrow or something, idk.

I didn't play much of CSD but I watched KCB play a ton of it and beat it and tbh, it seemed like the biggest issue was the cell phone dating stuff because the texting task would take soooooo long. I heard they patched that to be shorter though so it's more reasonable to do in-between handling janitorial duties and making food and handling crime sketches.

A good cheesy burrito with some hot sauce mixed in is just to die for, and if you're willing to splurge, a steak cut up and mixed in as well is just, mmm. (I can talk about food right now without running off to the kitchen as I had some french toast earlier. :v: )

I had a few problems with the dating texts, but, well, as long as I wasn't going for a perfect day and tried to angle them so I wouldn't have any other foods time out on me while they happened, they weren't too bad! I mostly had trouble with the crime sketches and certain foods - I am never adding shish kabobs to my menu again, I just can't do that kind of puzzle-solving while moving at high-speed and whipping out burgers. So glad the game doesn't make you use 'em unless it's in a challenge or something.

On a more broad food-in-games subject, I've been watching an LP of Lone Survivor and really enjoying how food is handled in that game - it's the classic survival horror scrounge up food mechanic, but it actually lets you develop some...self-care with it? You can go from eating chips off the floor to carefully cooking a ham and combining it with fruit and savoring the feast - not that the food banishes the monsters or whatever, but it's just...part of this whole concept of taking care of yourself, regardless of your circumstances, so you can better face them, and I like that. I kind of wish more games went into that beyond basic "press A to eat this apple and regain 5 health" stuff.

Another game that handled food well is Lonely Star - you could plant seeds of corn in the desert and pick 'em when they grew - but there were several things you could do with the corn, like using it for magic, or drop it to attract animals (I think, it's been a while since I played it) - but I distinctly remember that you could eat the corn and there was the chance you'd lose a tooth to it, which just made me smile. Fit the tone of the game, didn't affect you, just...flavor. Cook your food before you have it, basically!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

OK I'm playing through Kingdom Hearts for the first time and this game is actually pretty bad, holy poo poo.

Everything is pretty much expected until you hit a boss battle and suddenly it's a damage race between two-hit kill attacks and your idiot teammates cramming potions up your rear end in time.

I'm at the second Ursula battle right now and it's just so, so bad. So bad.

You're gonna memorize that cutscene

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rexroom posted:

I have feeling Pewdiepie is only channeling the stupid and crass memetic internet humor in his antics. I don't think he really is an anti-semitic nazi, it's more like OMG SO EDGIE 4 TEH LOLZ!!1 xD

But then again, I try to ignore him as much as possible. He might even be a member of the populist Sweden Democrats for all I know.

I disagree. There is a line between being edgy and calling for people to be killed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What does "woke" mean in this context

Not a fascist, believes people are equal, etc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Spent all day wanting to get home and play Invisible Inc, then I got home and... didn't

This seems to happen a lot lately, I just sit about like a lump instead of doing what I intended :<

It could be because of the winter season - if you have a therapist, talk to them about it? I've got seasonal affective disorder, so I need to use a lightbox daily or else I'm empty the next day.

e: A computer doesn't work as a lightbox, it has to be a specialized one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Same.

gently caress depression.

I'm worse off without my pills but I wish my pills did more than they're currently doing.

I feel you. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

The worst for me is the trinity of PTSD leading to lots of excessive panic, generalized anxiety causing lots of extra stress, and major depressive disorder bringing on feelings of helplessness so it's like this combination of uselessness, helplessness, despair, panic, desperately attempting to shut my brain off, and then just kind of going numb and zoning out and letting my mind disappear elsewhere so I can just stop thinking for a while.

February E/N Chat Thread: It's Not Mental Health Month Yet

Ugh, that sucks. :(

And, it is February, the worst month when it comes to everything - everyone I know is tired, depressive, or sick. March'll be better, though!

And to keep this game related: I'm gonna play some Stellaris soon as it's very, very chill and good for relaxing while I play, especially if I don't speed it up. It's fun watching my scientists toodle around star systems studying things, and managing my pops.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Slight problem with my declaring war on these mantis aliens in Stellaris: they built a bigger fleet than I did. Whoops!

And then this happened! :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Don't abduct cuddly primitive aliens :(

Listen, in my empire we suppress factions that want us to stop studying aliens! What are they there for, if not to be invasively studied?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/831628052106969088

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like video game hair is still pretty bad mostly

Please go look at hair in the Sims 2 and reassess this statement

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ME1 has mediocre shooting stuff, and mediocre psychic stuff...until you level it up. Then it's ridiculously fun to throw everything around.

ME2 has boring psychic stuff and bog-standard cover shooter stuff, which doesn't interest me, so I don't care for it.

Plotwise, ME1 is Star Trek-y and optimistic and fun, whereas ME2 is darker and less bright and honestly? Not as fun for me. I like the bright shiny future in ME1 over ME2's cynical universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The bright shiny future of constant hatred, frequent sexual abuse and a horrifying omnipresent threat that corrupts people waiting just outside the universe?

It's genuinely brighter and more optimistic than life today here on Earth. :shobon:

(okay also the architect is cool. I like a clean white/blue future as opposed to the gray and orange of ME2)

• Locked thread