Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/831706131013726208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I am really excited for ME:Andromeda. Lady Videogames pre-ordered it for me for my birthday last year because she knows how much I love the original trilogy.
I hope it has the same feel as ME1 as well!

My ideal ME would be the interesting 'what ifs' from ME1, the Mako from ME1, the inventory from ME1, the lowkey story from ME1 and the refined gameplay from ME3. ME3 is my favourite of the series so as close to that with all the things from ME1 would make me a very happy VG!

:crossarms:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I know. I have strange opinions and tastes about video games. I always have done.
I loved the crazy loot from ME1. All the switching around to try different combinations and what not.

I've never played DA:I because I didn't like Dragon Age Origins too much. I'd just come from ME1 and thought "Cool another game by the same people!" but the combat of clicking and waiting never really stuck with me. I also missed ME's dialogue choices with the surprise at what the actual line was after I'd picked an idea of something. I tried to go back to it a while ago and after about ten hours I kind of stopped.

I'm mostly skeptical because as cool as all the weird loot in ME1 is, that interface was....hoo boy. Individually selling or dropping things was a massive pain, and I grew to fear picking up loot more than I did my enemies. So if they fix that problem and keep the cool stuff, I'll be good!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I was screwing around in Enter the Gungeon tonight and seeing if I could get better at it and I finally beat the first boss, Gatling Gull! :toot:

I was all excited to see the second floor, and I found a gun that shouted "BULLET" every time I shot it, and it was great....

:rip:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The lowercase r (bullet gun) is fantastic until you realize it's utterly terrible and near useless, it's funny but takes forever to kill anything with

Yeah, it wasn't very good from what I used of it, but.... it's too cool not to use, y'know?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I will always like the webcomic "1/0" even if people say it is not good and, in fact, bad

:yeah:

Now that was a silly, charming comic that had some neat thought put into it. It wasn't the magnum opus I thought it was when I read it in my teens, but it still holds up as a good webcomic....and it's even better because it has an actual ending.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/HDDoesGaming/status/832763521997950976

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I've been trying out System Shock 1 and...this game is a joy to look at? It's all bright and poppy with fun level design, and I just really, really like it....and, well, this killed my interest in the remake. I checked out the demo of that, and it's all dark and gloomy and just lacks this great aesthetic.

And I mean, the original still has dark areas, but it's just...fun to look at?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSpyNK7JL0

I dunno, it still looks pretty colorful and stuff. Lights are way brighter tho

Oh hey, I hadn't seen that! ... It looks better than I remembered off of the demo, and...huh.

I still think there's something inherently more charming about the less realistic graphics, but that's more personal taste at play.

.... So now I'm interested in the remake. Thanks! :cheers:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just spent a while playing as Savant in Copy Kitty, and heyo - he's a lot of fun to play! I initially thought he was a mess, given that you have to manually set where your weapons aim from, but - no! it really works as a nicely seamless way to focus on dodging while juggling your weapons, and he gets some completely bonkers combos, like anything with the drill. :getin:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

While I'm not the kind of player who goes out of her way to master games, I have spent a ton of time with jrpgs, so:

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Spent over a hundred hours in it, got the true ending, brought a team of angels and Flauros to the final bosses. drat fine game, and I'd happily go back into it for another go.

As for games I've actually had to practice at, I've put time into the Touhous and Crimson Clover World Ignition! I'm not good at them, haven't beaten them, but they're fun enough to compel me back to practice and see if I can't get any better at them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah shmups have always fascinated me and I tried to 1CC Mushihumesame for about a week or two of playing sporadically before stopping. I feel like someday I'll just lose myself in it for like a month and figure the genre out but for now it's measured respect

Yeah, they're like fighting games in that you have to really study them to get good at them - you're not just learning all the right patterns and how to handle bosses, but you're perfecting your reflexes and mastery of the game's controls and mechanics - which is really cool! JRPGS by contrast are learning the systems and memorizing what does what, so you can apply the right solutions to every fight (or bring something with high enough stats so it doesn't matter), and I love that - a soothing, usually story-heavy kind of puzzle solving.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

There's no easy way to phrase that tidbit

It's still crazy cool though. History is cool and vast.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Burnout 3: Takedown

What about Burnout Paradise?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's great but it doesn't have a proper crash mode.

What's a crash mode? (I've only really played Burnout Paradise as a driving game, see)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You smash into a group of cars at specially set up intersections. It's mostly about picking a good line so you cause a huge cascade of crashes.

There's something kinda like it in Paradise but it's not the same.

....Bowling?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/wendeego/status/833356293708664833

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You guys have me curious now - where can I go on youtube to see the best fighting game players play?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Perfect, thanks! I found the youtube archive of their streams and :eyepop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In Training posted:

Its hosting some other channel right now but its like a daily stream from a japanese arcade where the same 15 people play guilty gear 8 hours a day , which theyve been doing for the last 15 years

161 wins versus 2000+ wins.

Do...

Do these players ever see the sun?

e: It's cool that you can tell that the 2000+ win player is just toying with the other one. They're just that good and I feel bad for the other player.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/833798085281058817

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Polygon was streaming Night in the Woods and got stuck on a plaforming segment, then deleted the stream lol

Why are they so bad at videogames?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi feb games chat thread, not sticking around long because I'm tired and am gonna try to sleep because I'm not feeling well, but I haven't told anybody that I hope they're doing well in a while and I wanted everyone here to know that I'm still thinking of them and wishing them the best. Keep on keeping on. I believe in you.

Take care of yourself, FAK. You are appreciated. :D

Also hey - I just beat Mushroom 11! ... I'm ready to play a fun game now, haha.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/834560334899732480

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What's up everybody? How's everyone doing tonight. Or early morning rather.

Good, even if my knee's hurting a bit. (I sat on it weird.)

Game-wise I sat through two tedious hours of the Silver Case, and, darnit, I'm so close to the end of the whole thing that I can't stop now, but my god the sheen of this game has worn off. The writing is terrible, the plot makes little to no sense, characters are killing each other for reasons, and then it made me walk through the same level TEN TIMES with minor variations just because it could waste my time. I wish I could refund it, but nope.

...Which just makes me even madder, because this game could have been fantastic. I love its aesthetic, how weird it is, the bizarre concept of this murderer they're tracking down - but again. The writing takes the neatest concepts and reduces them to the most mundane, boring stuff and squanders itself and ughhhh.

So I've been chilling with Mini Metro to unwind from that, and :toot: got another tricky achievement finished! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Silver Case is a suda 51 game yea? I'm not surprised it has parts where it just wastes your time with tedious nonsense and bleh

It is. I just wish....man. I wish it had any other writer, because there isn't enough of a payoff here to justify the tedious nonsense. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I beat the Silver Case and the ending didn't do a thing for me. :sigh:

Ah well. It's off the backlog, and I can get back to actually good games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yo, thanks for the heads up. First time I've changed my password on SA, and I should probably do it more often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If this dead gay comedy forum is going to take up all of my freetime, everyone deserves to know about it. :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For serious though, thanks for being a fun place to hang out and chat about games - this place is my favorite place on the internet to chill.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/cliffski/status/835270554542297088

:stare:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I made it to the second level in Enter the Gungeon for the third time ever! :toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i basically decided that if i'm going to make even a penny off of playing video games it won't be through streaming, just from sheer volume of pre-recorded content on youtube. much easier to build up queued content, less stress.

the only streaming i'd do is the kind of autostream where a playlist of your channel's existing videos play, twitch was supposed to roll that out but they never did

I enjoy hanging out in streams, especially devstreams, but I can't fathom watching someone, especially someone doing a 24 hour stream. I got games to play myself, and I definitely don't want them to die for my free entertainment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mario isn't worth your life!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a game recommendations thread? I could swear there was a game recommendations thread.

There is!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Adulting, as I see it used on tumblr / amongst my friends and myself, generally means that ugh, we're gonna go do our chores / pay the bills / go to work - do all of that super tedious stuff that goes into having a clean home, having enough money to live on, all of that stuff that we don't enjoy doing, but understand is good and necessary to live. I mean, who wants to clean the bathroom? No one! But it has to be done or else we live in a cesspit, so, well, adulting.

If we're actually depressed and having trouble doing stuff, that's something else entirely. Feeding yourself generally isn't seen as "adulting", and more self-care.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Problem Sleuth posted:

I'm 21 and I've never heard a person say adulting irl, so I can only assume you guys hang out with weirdos if your friends say it regularly

I do however say things like lol outloud so who knows

My friends may be weirdos, but they're my weirdos. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I need some recommendations for good or weird PS2 games to buy and then rip to my hard drive for better load times.

Baroque!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mini Metro: Auckland can go screw itself. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everyone, what's up in here

Mark of the Ninja is soooo goooooood I just unlocked ravenous insects and my elite guard problem has been taken care of. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread