Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've given Idle Thumbs several tries over the years but I could never really get into it because their roundtable format was too open and disorganized, I much more prefer something with a more focused theme for each episode like Retronauts or Watch Out for Fireballs or even the gaming episodes of Laser Time.

That and since everyone on it works in game dev there's too much self-promotion or playing softball with anything anybody is affiliated with.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/SeclusiveBlue/status/831342938986774529

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It used to be that people who wanted to be e-famous drew comics of themselves sitting on a couch playing video games and cracking jokes. Now they actually record themselves sitting on a couch playing video games and cracking jokes

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing Catlateral Damage made me realize that games about trashing houses are a great but woefully underutilized genre. Katamari Damacii, Elebits, King of Crusher...uh...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Catlateral itself isn't super amazing or anything, I got it in a bundle and spent an hour and then felt like I'd pretty much experienced everything I had to offer. The fact that they went to the trouble of programming procedurally generated houses is impressive but it also means the levels are super samey, one of my favorite little things on Katamari is all the little tableaus they have set up throughout the level and how they creatively place items to guide you and you miss out on that with procgen.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have purchased Resident Evil 4 on so many platforms it is ridiculous. As a matter of fact it may be time to finish another game of Resident Evil 4 on Wii with the handcannon again because why the gently caress not.

A close second for times completed is Super Mario Bros 3, then Super Mario World. These are both essentially flawless games and I will stop what I am doing to play through them at any time.

I just finished Metal Gear Solid 1 for the first time and something tells me I am going to be replaying this whole series for basically ever.

Oh poo poo, Vice City, too. I won't claim to be amazing at it but it is a game I can just play forever. I have beaten its terrible story so many times.

Something that kind of blew my mind was realizing that Vice City is set in 1986 and came out in 2002, 16 years later, and right now we're only one year away from it being that long from when Vice City came out to the present day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

Like DOOM and DOOM 2 you can never own too many copies of Resident Evil 4.

:stare:

It's a shame the 2000's is a culturally bankrupt time period or we could have a decent modern Vice City sequel set there

Also you are ruining my life with that information.

To be fair it came out literally right after 9/11, which is probably the biggest cultural shakeup America has had in that time aside from maybe smart phones and social media.

Also, San Andreas was set in 1992 and came out in 2004. It was 12 years in the past...13 years ago.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Witness is so loving good you guys. Like, it's not perfect and I don't feel bad at all for using a guide for a few of the more obscure or involved puzzles but I'm still loving just about everything about it.

I might still like The Talos Principle more as a whole but The Witness is so much more unique and weird and I'm glad I managed to avoid getting spoiled about it aside from some Twitter drama about the ending and a certain optional objective that was pretty funny at the time but also gave me a completely wrong idea of what the game would be like.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a game with solid gameplay that is elevated by polish and production values any more than there is enjoying something that works well within its limitations. Like, I like the first Mad Max for being a tight little character-driven exploitation film made on a shoestring budget by amateurs but that doesn't mean I don't also love Fury Road for being an insane display of blockbuster tent pole filmmaking.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

Has there ever been a good wuxia action game? I want a game like Nioh but it's based on kung fu and wuxia films and you can wall run and do crazy aerial acrobatics and at some fight you and some other dude play out an entire duel in your imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

One of the Sly Cooper games had a boss fight that was a wuxia fight on top of a bamboo grove whose main mechanic was huge flying leaps across the stage that lasted like 5-10 seconds before you'd land. It was awesome.

That willingness to get weird with shaking up the core gameplay was a really great thing about that series in general, even if for every awesome fight you'd get something like a first-person underwater segment or Furry Giantess Shadow of the Colossus.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

You don't pick a side. The rich will be the cyborgs, the poor will not.

Normally I'd agree but society did a surprisingly good job at quashing Google Glass across the board.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Somehow I never knew until now that the 3DO had a game that was a Shelley Duvall vehicle about birds that was also a musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK9qn0IimU8

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

What even is the worst aspects of RE4...QTEs?

Imagine if RE4 had QTEs that popped up in the middle of random gameplay segments with the same frequency and unpredictability as during cutscenes and that failing one meant replaying a 15+ minute stealth action sequence from the beginning and you have an idea of how infuriating Evil Within's booby trap system was.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

Brian Vigneault, known to some as “PoShYbRiD” on Twitch, mysteriously disappeared in the middle of his most recent 24-hour charity stream on Sunday. Vigneault took a quick break from his live stream for a smoke break, not uncommon for some streamers during extended streaming sessions, but he never returned. He was found passed out and unresponsive by Virginia Beach police about an hour later and pronounced dead on the scene.

rip that guy

As sad as any untimely death is, at least thanks to his streaming carrier his dead body was found in hours instead of weeks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bloodychill posted:

With the New 3DS, PS4Pro, and Scorpio, it looks like that principle is done, which sucks. Meanwhile, I own two of these things so I may in fact be part of the problem :smith:

I was gonna say, we're well past the point where people who had an original 3DS were having the new Pokemon game run at like single frame rates during big battles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Not everyone is bisexual.

Quantum bisexuality.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One of my favorite kinds of game endings are ones that take you back to your starting area only with the knowledge and experience you've gained over the course of the game it's a radically different experience.

One of my least favorite kind of game endings are ones that are not only points of no return but actively erase all of your progress with no warning or way of accessing an old save game.

Completely unrelated to those two statements, I don't know how I feel about the ending of The Witness.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I keep wanting to play it but whener they go on sale on Steam I see that there's like a zillion of them on and they seem to run the gamut from SNES games to modern and none of the titles make any sense or give any idea where to start so paralysis of choice takes over.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think developers should go in the opposite direction and make their characters harder to sexualize. One more reason that games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls rule, you spend forever crafting your perfect waifu and then the first thing that happens is a dragon tears their chest open and gives them a huge scar or they turn into undead beef jerky.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Today's NSFW Touch the Skyrim is super relevant to this discussion

I need to watch the My Brother My Brother and Me TV show now that it's out, the free episode they put on YouTube was pretty good and Griffin is still consistently the best even when he's actually in front of the camera.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The best secrets have songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZISypgA9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al0XOLM9FPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_eOpM7qQHo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like making video games your job would make you hate them after a while

The thing is that when you're a streamer your job isn't playing video games, it's manipulating search algorithms and internet advertising platforms. The gaming is just an extension of that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://i.imgur.com/rVWePGx.gifv

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I was gonna post that but it's impossible to find a clip of that scene that isn't buried in memes or part of a 5+ minute Let's Play video.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Wowers, my friend really liked Night in the Woods!

https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/835473533346140160

I haven't played it but everything about the game's aesthetic seems to be laser-targeted to the kind of people who use the term "adulting" unironically so I'm not surprised to see so much fanart of it in such a short amount of time. That and it seems like the perfect style to cram your OC/fursona into with minimal effort.

Jay Rust posted:

I played through the tutorial case and the first case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney this morning, and I thought it was really good! No dumb adventure logic (I didn't have to rub stuff against random stuff), and the pacing of the dialogue and the twists and turns is absolutely delightful.

Does the rest of game (and the two following games, Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations) more or less maintain that level of quality? The part I played through was free, so I'm wondering if it's worth the twenty-four dollars to just buy the whole set.

The tutorial case is super linear and obvious compared to the rest of the game(s), it also doesn't touch on the investigation segments of the game that suffers the most from occasionally from having to pixel hunt for items or brute-force every dialogue option and inventory item until you hit the magical trigger.

That said they're still great games with good writing, humor, and minimal Japanese anime insensitivity/creepiness so if you liked the first case then go for it. Just savescum and/or use a guide if needed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p93u4PV8_o

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

my fav guitar hero 3 instrument

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

'Adulting' is like 'feels' 2.0

Exactly. The underlying sentiment is perfectly fine and relatable, it's just the way of expressing it is asinine and also a huge red flag about the person saying it. It's like when somebody describes something as an "epic fail" IRL or derisively refers to someone as a "special snowflake" or uses the term "virtue signalling" ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Homework's wack and so are rules

Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools

Gravity Falls was such a great show. Fight Fighters and Soos and the Real Girl are also great videogame-centric episodes of television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYrldOjoubw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

A podcast I listen to regularly did an episode about the game and they said it was really bad, and these are guys I trust, but I also trust you guys, so I'm kinda stuck in this bubble of not knowing what to think about Soul Reaver while also not wanting to play it myself, it's gamer limbo

Greetings, fellow Watch Out For Fireballs listener. :hfive:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Skies of Arcadia's final dungeon was pretty rad. The first dungeon is you exploring some abandoned ruins on a tiny island with an aged and broken-down robot as a boss, the at the end of the game the big bad summons a lost continent from the depths that rises up and fits perfectly against that island, only all the buildings are pristine and in working order and you fight fully functional versions of that first boss robot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Did you play Mad Max?

I really wish somebody made a mod to that replaced the game's soundtrack with the Fury Road score. Then again, that would improve a lot of games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VideoGames posted:

I'm going to go through my uncompleted games in alphabetical order. Each one gets at least 6 hours of play. If after six hours I am not having fun, then it goes in the bin. If I do enjoy it, then I don't stop playing it till I complete it.

I really don't think it should take 6 hours to decide whether or not you're enjoying a game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This makes me wish that Castle Doctrine was an actual good game and also not made by a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rwdaI8rCo

I honestly don't know what's going on with any of the animations in this

https://i.imgur.com/Uu1K5sU.gifv

• Locked thread