Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finished up Environmental Station Alpha. Pretty good game, bit frustrating at time (especially some map segments of the game), but maintained a nice level of challenge throughout. Well, until the Overcharge powerup anyway, but I'm guessing that's intended to be a 'secret' powerup much like the 3-way was.

Kinda annoying that there really isn't a 'good' ending or anything like that. There's just the normal Bad ending, a Worse ending, then a whole slew of bizarre ARG-like end things that involve doing a bunch of obscure nonsense. Oh well. Guess next up is Wuppo. :goleft:

Sounds like Shantae HGH is getting all of the modes they listed on the Kickstarter, even the ones they didn't hit the goal for. Risky, Sky, Bolo, Rotty, and the 3 different outfits (which I guess are stat/skill swaps). Should be fun to revisit again with the new modes.

Started playing X-Com 2 this month, never bothered to play the first new remake but it doesn't sound like I'm missing out too much anyway. Game is fun but boy is it stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lobok posted:

Had a run-of-the-mill pair that lasted years but had to finally give them up because the thin plastic covering the foam over the ears was flaking off like mad and getting everywhere. They still worked, though. I've yet to find a proper replacement. So many headphones either have small ear coverings, which ends up pinching my ears after a while, or the headband isn't padded so the top of my head starts to hurt after a while, or the sound leaks too much, or the cord is too short. I didn't know how good I had it with that old pair... :(

The headphones thread in IYG is very helpful for finding what you need. Rule #1 of course, is never buy anything sold as 'gaming' headsets or headphones because they're almost all universally crap (or just overpriced).

Sounds like you want something closed and Circumaural? Maybe try something like the Status Audio CB-1, which are very good for the price (there's a 15% off coupon you can use on their webpage too). Fake leather padding on the top and cups, closed and they form a reasonably good seal, the cord is also detachable and it comes with either a short coiled or very long straight cord. Or you can use your own cord including one with a mic if you need one.

If those are too small but the right idea, maybe try the NVX XPT-100 or Brainwavz HM5 (they're the same exact model just rebranded).

Some other good ones to check out would be Philips SHP9500s, they are open backed so be aware of that, I got a pair to try and my wife ended up loving them so she kept em.

I have weird shaped ears though, and wear glasses, so your experience may be completely different from mine as to what is comfortable.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 6, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

I love the music in that stage. There was also another alternate last stage where you turned into one of the Bydo and the last boss was a bunch of other R-9 ships, Final was weeeeeird but great too.

The last Final Stage is a weird timewarp that sends you back thousands of years. They give you 1 life and no continues and you have to make it through a super long stage that remixes other parts of the game and is full of enemies that just turbo laser you as a 'hilarious' gotcha. Plus all the usual R-Type poo poo like enemies constantly attacking from multiple directions and all that.

It's pretty cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

The only reason I hesitate to recommend Origin first is that the entire game takes place in a single tower and it could probably be a little too sandy for a first comer. Oath has a fun variety in locations and such, more of your classic lava level, jungle level etc.

Origins is also super badly balanced by comparison and you can't even fight the final boss unless you play the game twice.

Used to be worse though, used to have to play as Hugo before you could play as Thor :gonk:

Oath got some rough spots but it's a LOT better overall.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can forgive a lot of Origin's issues based solely on the fact that it manages to have a Water level that's actually one of the best parts of the whole game.

Unfortunately Yunica is the character I actually like in the game so pretty much any time I hit the 2/3 mark I want to immediately quit the game because it just falls off a steep cliff immediately after that point. Thor holds up a lot better but I don't really enjoy playing as him much.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

raditts posted:

Who is Thor? Are you talking about Toal?

Yeah, for some reason that's how his name was originally translated, but they later changed it to Toal instead.

Could be worse, could be Colin :regd09:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

I need some recommendations for good or weird PS2 games to buy and then rip to my hard drive for better load times.

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land, is basically unplayable on the disc but is loving amazing running on a hard drive.

The hazards of releasing a game on CD for the PS2.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

precision posted:

Wait, what? I had that game and played the gently caress out of it, in what way was it unplayable? Load times? I don't remember them at all, and I tend to remember poo poo like that (Okage was so loving good except for the load times).

PS2 had notorious issues with blue disc games. Some PS2s couldn't read them at all, others could read them but would constantly chug or making grinding noises. Maybe this was fixed on slim models or something? I tried about 3 different models of fat PS2s back in the day and they all had the same issues, TotFL was basically unplayable, GGX1 wouldn't run at all, for some examples.

The load time, even when working correctly, was pretty drat slow in that game too though. So HD Loader made it 100% more tolerable IMO.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Apparently some models of PS2 you could adjust the alignment of the laser to fix the issue, but I tried doing that with mine and never saw any difference at all.

Mine was a later model (maybe 2004 or so) so I wouldn't be surprised if they started using cheaper CD lasers over time or something like that.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I would also like some weird bad games.

Unlimited Saga. :getin:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

are those JRPGs? I have finite time as an adult.

Yeah. Unlimited Saga is perfect for playing for like 2-5 hours just to :psyduck: at the mechanics/translation/menus of the game and then never play it again.

There's actually some cool and fun stuff in the game but it's buried under a mountain of bad design and half-finished everythings.

That's what I was interpreting your request for 'bad weird games' as though, so maybe that's not what you're looking for.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A lot of jRPG final dungeons are excessively long or terrible which doesn't help a lot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Apocalypse is like the poster child for this, that final dungeon comes completely out of left field and is just shockingly bad.

I have to get around to playing those one of these days. Nocturne's final dungeon is kind of outrageous but it's perfectly in-line with the rest of the game, and they break it up with teleporters and shops periodically so it's not all that bad.

BoF2 might be the worst one I've ever played. The worst part is that there's not even really anything interesting going on with it, it just sucks and takes for god damned ever to slowly walk through.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles had a kick-rear end final dungeon. By far one of the worst in any of the JRPGs I've played is Tales of Phantasia. I remember BoF4's being bad too, but more because it's uninteresting and has annoying music.

BoF4's is just kind of long and a bit confusing as I recall. And it's very, VERY easy to get underleveled in that game because enemies don't pay out enough XP and you can beat basically every boss in the game while like 10-20 levels under what they expect you to be at. Unfortunately that has the side effect of making the last boss fight take upwards of an hour or so.

I feel like BoF3 had the best final dungeon in the main series but maybe I'm forgetting some particularly bad part about it. Too bad about the whole desert thing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The Witcher 3's combat really became a bummer once I realized that the only thing that could kill me was my own boredom if I just pumped up Quen, and the enemy AI was mostly too dumb to do anything about it.

I was wondering if anyone had done a combat rebalance mod for the game at some point, I have no idea how powerful the game's modding support is though. I remember Witcher 1 & 2 both got one, so something to tweak how overpowered basically everything is would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

You do get a super clean image in games that run 120fps+ that's definitely noticeable but my brain is happy enough with 60fps and all settings maxed out. Overwatch and other FPS players like higher framerates because it reduces the amount of input lag.

That and of course you want to make sure you maintain a high FPS when a lot of poo poo is on screen, so it's better to way overshoot for like 200+ FPS so you just never have to worry about it.

There are some 240Hz monitors out there though IIRC.

• Locked thread