Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i sometimes read cat and girl even though it's not really funny AT ALL. but sometimes it does tap into something that i really get. idk

it's a pretty unfunny comic though

e: for some reason the cartoonist started drawing girl with really long sticks coming out of her hair a few years ago and it looks really weird

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An exclusive partnership between Dynamite Entertainment and BOOM! Studios' award-winning imprint, KaBOOM!, will bring Jim Davis' iconic comic strip cat Garfield together with internet sensation Grumpy Cat in a limited series, with a story written by Jim Davis himself!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

the period of time from the moon landing to your birth is probably shorter than your birth to right now
well yeah it was only 15 years inbetween for me, most millenials and gen xes have way overshot that already

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i replay the phoenix wright games a lot

which is to say that i replay them AT ALL vs any other game that i generally play once and drop forever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Why not play Tomb Raider Anniversary
or Deadfall Adventures where you're literally a quartermain

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Brian Vigneault, known to some as “PoShYbRiD” on Twitch, mysteriously disappeared in the middle of his most recent 24-hour charity stream on Sunday. Vigneault took a quick break from his live stream for a smoke break, not uncommon for some streamers during extended streaming sessions, but he never returned. He was found passed out and unresponsive by Virginia Beach police about an hour later and pronounced dead on the scene.

rip that guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

creepy castle has really good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBiN1iIfR4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if burrito galaxy will ever be finished

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

im the only one shillin this game but the creepy castle ost is up on bandcamp yeaa

https://dopterra.bandcamp.com/album/creepy-castle-official-soundtrack

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's. Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3NLa4ebX4E

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if that left joycon desync issue is a hardware problem then the switch is hosed, it literally comes out next week lol

:(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apparently somethingawful.com is on the list of sites affected by the cloudflare breach so yayyyy time to change passwords again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

2017-2018 could be full of fives

Call of Duty 5
Battlefield 5
Assassins Creed 5
Fallout 5
DOOM 5
Uncharted 5
Deus Ex 5
Half Life 3 (aka the fifth half life)
uhhh Thief 5? idk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Another breach? What the heck?! Also, source? This is the first I've heard of it.
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/02/cloudflare-cloudbleed-bug-exposes-sensitive-data-who-is-affected/
https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its all fine if things were more balanced, but there aint enough games with either not-tittilation or reverse-tittilation yet, i mean it's better now but in the AAA world not much has changed

indie world it's all good

AAA world still believes only dudes play games and would respond to "women make up huge % of AAA gaming" with "FAKE NEWS!!! THEY ONLY PLAY CANDY CRUSH"

what i'm saying is. indie games buy indie games and play them, indie games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i basically decided that if i'm going to make even a penny off of playing video games it won't be through streaming, just from sheer volume of pre-recorded content on youtube. much easier to build up queued content, less stress.

the only streaming i'd do is the kind of autostream where a playlist of your channel's existing videos play, twitch was supposed to roll that out but they never did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel like making video games your job would make you hate them after a while
i mean a job's a job, even one you enjoy

right now i only record video games at the end of a day when i'm relaxing so it's compartmentalized in my mind as part of relaxation time and not really work

i can't really imagine doing it as my primary line of work

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you just record 20-30 minutes of gameplay at a time you can build up a huge repository of videos with pretty minimal effort

i have 900 uploaded already and i started in september

i'd rather that than stream for 12 fuckin hours or w/e

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can you make a living from video uploads these days, though? From what I've seen the people who donate to streamers, especially the ones that go hog wild and drop hundreds of dollars, do it for interaction with the streamer and to get a reaction
You could theoretically make a poverty living

It used to be that the ad rate on Youtube was 1000 views to a dollar but that ain't what it is now. still, if you can get to a point where each video of yours is getting 5-6 figure views, then maybe

right now my channel runs 5 videos a day, so 150 videos a month but i do it for fun and to help clear my backlog so i only get a few views per video. if i was Serious Gaming Professional Career Person.... each video would have to hit at least 25k views for it to really accumulate anything, i feel like

oh yeah there's also the whole ContentID thing if you aren't on an MCN, you have to be sure that the developer is okay with you running ads, because some aren't (like Telltale for example). you have to be on Nintendo's program to do Nintendo games sooo I don't do Nintendo games lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

With Youtube's default ad structure it's 40,000 views = $100, give or take some based on how long your videos are (because the length of the video changes how many ads can run on it, up to 3). Having a network attached to your channel will bump up the money you make and the views required down, but they take a percent of your earnings that imo is never ever worth it. What's more important though is that people actually watch the ads instead of skipping them or blocking them because that gets you far less money, and the vast overwhelming majority of people who watch gaming videos are absolutely savvy enough to be using an ad blocker.

edit: Generally speaking, using Youtube's ads and Google's payment structure as a way to make money is impossible unless you make that 40,000 views on every video. But even then, the amount you earn per ad will actually go down because lol corporate greed, so you will need more views to make the same amount of money as somebody less popular.
The thing is, based on the size of your channel you may be getting Coca Cola ads or you may just be getting ads for other people's Youtube channels, so even there, the ad rates can vary

Being part of an MCN i think can give you hook ups to sponsors but it's just not worth it. MCNs exist solely to buy into volume, they will not help you, and you may get stuck in an awful contract

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess dad by the sword ended up being vaporware which is a shame

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

millenials are Cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/AarongRamsey/status/669019197200969729

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

suikoden 4 is coming to PS......3

i will probably get it at some point because i dont care if its the worst and also 3 feels like the worst on account of its awful framerate and general "early PS2-era" issues

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

get Fuckin hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hPZ_5cSbc

• Locked thread