Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that weird horizon video even confirmed to be from that, or could it just be some weirdo making a purposely lovely spoof video, looks like one of those "IN 3D!!!!" style parody videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

The Foundation Update was really promising and definitely improved the base game(both literally and figuratively), now let's see what they add in future updates. If later updates are as robust as the Foundation one, by the one year anniversary the game'll be quite a bit better than it was at launch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

Also the guy at Nintendo just said the price of the online service is around $17.50 – $26.50 a year so people can thankfully stop freaking out about Switch online prices.

Cool still doesn't seem worth it considering how awful every other online service they've offered before has been, so if it's even remotely similar it's not worth paying a single cent for!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goon Succinctandpunchy speedran the first stage demo for Freedom Planet 2, game looks much prettier than the first one, and way smoother than any recent Sonic game, moreso than Freedom Planet 1 too which is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJD_KEMHc4c&hd=1

edit: it's blurry due to them loving up the recording, but it's easy to see it's a lot smoother than the original behind the blurriness

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But there's also plenty of shenanigans, and sushi, and slumber parties!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Don't do it, the Giant Bomb thread in RGD is loving awful
Liquid Penguins and Gaspar Lewis got perma'd and Ramagamma is forbidden from posting there, so it's vastly improved! It gets a little gassy at times but those folks pass along pretty quickly! Come on by~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

They were talking about the stupid nazi punching back and forth that has been going around recently because Austin Walker posted about it on twitter, instead of video games, so no actually steer very clear of it. Instead go to the Imp Zone thread
please don't advocate people go to the imp zone at all, thanks and gobbles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watch Danny O'Dwyer try and play ocarina of time at some point, it'll blow you away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did anyone actually expect Johnathan Blow, noted crazy weirdo whose only skill is making video games, to have rational thoughts on current events

Now someone post the jontron sjw video and let's really get the ball rolling(don't actually do that)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Quoooooote is not ediiiiiit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

Durante, the guy who made DSfix for Dark Souls on PC, is apparently now being contracted by companies to improve their PC ports. I know that some of his fixes for the PC port of Deadly Premonition were eventually patched into the official release but it's cool that game companies are taking it one step further.

Good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been watching some Lufia 2 Ancient Cave speedruns recently, spurred on by this one in two hours during RPG Limit Break 2016(definitely a pro-watch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BnmqhXK5w&hd=1

It makes me wonder though, I played the poo poo out of the ancient cave part of lufia 2 back in the day. Is there any game that is essentially exactly that nowadays, easily available on PC/Steam? I don't mean a standard roguelike like Dungeons of Dredmor and such, but rather a specific RPG-style game similar to the 100-floor design of the ancient cave. There's probably an entire genre out there like it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was more meaning some kind of official product, not a romhack, if possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ekster posted:

I, for one, can't wait for the next pixel-art retro nostalgia-driven randomly generated indie darling.

Yeah but unironically if it's got good mechanics and looks decent.

Ancient Cave was an insanely fun extra thing that didn't need to be in lufia 2 but was way more fun than the actual game and needs to be copied by something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3jXx6p4aEY&hd=1&t=10s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Loot crates are garbage and should be unacceptable even for cosmetic stuff, but they are never going anywhere because gamers inexplicably defend them and there isn't really a competing product if a game you like decides to switch everything to them.

But I'm just being entitled by wanting to exchange money for a listed good.

PS Funbux middle man currencies also need to die.

On the other hand, cosmetic loot crates allow for support for some games farther than they otherwise would get, like tf2 and others. They don't affect gameplay either. And good ones allow the loot to, generally, drop outside of the crates, though maybe without some special aspect (in tf2's case, special effects or stat counters).

The newer addition of "you won't get dupes until you've gotten one of everything" is a good one too. So long as they don't affect gameplay I've got no qualms against lootboxes, and this is not me saying this because I deal in csgo/dota/tf2 items, since there's a hell of a lot more games that do it than those three.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:siren: THERE IS A NEW EPISODE OF TOUCH THE SKYRIM, EMPHASIS TOUCH, GO WATCH IT :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-w1-viB2E&hd=1

suuma posted:

TF2 is full of items that change gameplay, though?

e: at least it was when I played it, maybe you only get cosmetics from crates I don't know
Everything that changes gameplay drops while playing or can be directly created by the player without paying anything, which is fine.

Help Im Alive posted:

How does that work
brother, do I have some STORIES for YOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why does it suck though, since it does not affect the gameplay in any way? That's what has always weirded me out about the argument against purely cosmetic loot crates. You WANT, you don't NEED the cosmetics in there, and no doubt they would never exist otherwise. Having an option to buy them gives those who really, REALLY want some specific set or item to pay for them directly(in cases like dota or overwatch with in-order loot box loot), or often just let you pay for the skin directly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, I don't play overwatch so I didn't know there wasn't a direct purchase option. TF2 has that but it's kinda fucky with the prices, though the steam marketplace allows for a ton of stuff to be had for pennies and for a lot of other games too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, that was before I knew overwatch didn't let you buy skins directly. I'm more familiar with steam stuff which generally does let you, in addition to loot boxes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Since this argument is largely about Overwatch I'm going to assume that people are far and away more hat-crazy there than it ever was with tf2/csgo/dota, and the lack of a trading system(unless they added one) just compounds the frustration of not getting the skin you like alongside the bad crate system they have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Please don't defend anticonsumer practices.

Just to be clear here, you're talking about Overwatch's method and not the dota/csgo/tf2 method, correct?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Loot boxes are anticonsumer period. Some are just even more so.
Okay, well in the case of TF2 (and a lesser extent due to its current popularity) DOTA it has resulted in them being kept alive for far, far longer than they otherwise would have as well as being made free to play, especially in TF2's case where they flat out said they would have stopped supporting it years ago without the system in place. I don't think we're going to come to a compromise on this argument though. I think they're fine in certain types, but others are not, while you're zero-tolerance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And thus we enter the discussion on when death with dignity comes to gaming, and close the book on loot box talk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hail satan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LawfulWaffle posted:

Watch this space for my upcoming video, "NG+ Nobunaga Naked lvl 1 with dance pad"
I'm partial to the "play entire game only looking at it from a mirror, with hands crossed and upside down controller" myself

FirstAidKite posted:

HHi everybody I am currently at a one-day anuime convention and I am operating on not a lot of restul sleep and my fiancee bought a cute little pokemon pikachu blind bag thing where it's a bunch of mmini furniture based around pikachu and the blind bag she got ended up having a pokemon tv with a pikachu hanging off of it and a soda and a bucket of popcorn with a pokemon label on it and it is fun except for the part where I am struggling to stay awake and am on the verge of crashing and I might just head out to the carr and fall asleep for a few hours because ughhhhhh

How is everybody else doing today
I am still recovering from eye surgery, there was scar tissue in my right cornea over the pupil obstructing all vision making everything blurry, so they sliced most of my cornea off with a scalpel and then I had one of these absolute fuckers in my eye for a week:

It's a "Prokera ocular bandage", a bandage contact lens the size of a quarter. it was so painful they had to prescribe me liquid oxycodone for the pain, it was a horrible week, imagine entering REM sleep being so painful it jolts you awake. Even a couple days out from having it taken out it still hurts, so I get to enjoy the liquid oxy for a few more days before going back to work. Eye is working a lot better though, and it seems along with the scar tissue they also got a bunch of floaters out at the same time.

The surgery was weird. Not often you get to watch them cut up the thing they're performing surgery on, FROM said thing as they do it. Uncomfortable as gently caress but didn't hurt at all until they put the drat bandage lens in. Still, worth it. Worth it worth it worth it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

as a major coward i would have just done an eyepatch for life.
as also a major coward when it comes to eye stuff, I considered just dealing with it forever because "having your cornea scraped off with a scalpel or lasered off" is not a pleasant proposition, but now that it's over and done with I can say I am happy I had it done even if the last ~10 days sucked because seeing well out of both eyes instead of one is a good thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

On a games note, today I will undertake the ultimate challenge and do my taxes.
I'm a pro player and have an accountant for a stepdad who powerlevels me through my taxes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bloodychill posted:

The surgery sounds worthy it, plus hey fun drugs. The withdrawal is gonna be poo poo though. Literally in some cases.
I mean, it's 5mg of oxycodone once a day maybe, dissolved in a suspension. It's nice and all but it's not going to hook me, I've taken it before.

However, when they refilled my prescription for it, the doctor apparently miswrote 500ml instead of 50ml so now I have half a liter of liquid oxycodone. Guess I'll sock it away in the fridge for future use since I only needed a few extra doses until the inside of my eyelids healed fully, and I sure as gently caress can't return it.

oddium posted:

half life 3 will never happen. half life: borealis however...
...will, in a twist, also never happen. oh shocker, a 4chan thing sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

wendy o is not an item you can receive in a mushroom house

that would be a VERY different game

also can you thumbnail that image

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doom 2016's singleplayer is 100% worth the full price tag. This is objective fact.

If you somehow couldn't enjoy the campaign I feel bad for you son

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

ok i'll make it a timg instead of an img, but just for you baby <3

thx hun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheScott2K posted:

Every time I see one of these I'm so glad I'm immune to MMORPGs.

Stop loving crying.
lol you're a shithead.

Guy Mann posted:

You've been on SA for almost 15 years. Surely you must have at least some empathy for people being sad that a community they've been a part for for over a decade in closing its doors?
hmmm empathy no that's too difficult.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ekster posted:

Never understood the appeal of MMOs personally, it's like single player games except with worse gameplay and I personally find random gamers to be some of the worst people to socialize with on the planet. I understand that it can be fun to play with friends or maybe if you find a nice guild or something but to be fair almost anything is fun with friends.

Planetside 1 was by far, without question, the most amazing game I have ever played (with good people). Organizing a 6-galaxy-dropship-full raid on an enemy continent and taking over a central base by draining the power to 0, then defending from the resulting hordes of enemy players was unbelievably satisfying the likes I have never had in any other game. It's a shame planetside 2 isn't as good for that, despite being technically superior.

WoW was actually pretty fun with a decent guild too, and it was just relaxing to shoot the poo poo while putzing around an easy instance or doing some gimmick raid (crossroads takeover was the standby back in the day). There's always assholes sure, but the not shitheads I met were super fun to chat with and I still talk to a decent number of them today on steam nearly a decade later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
welp, time to blow your goddamn mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm8P8utT5g&hd=1

http://tasvideos.org/5384S.html

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The craziest part of this to me is that some guy sat down and did this for fun. Like, he got a gameboy color to play a spongebob clip in pokemon yellow and his reasoning for doing it was "yeah, this'll be neat!"

It is pretty neat tbqh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Sup everybody, what's shakin in here

watch that video I posted and witness a dude rewriting Pokemon Yellow and making the Game Boy Color do things it was never meant to do

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heh, arachnophobia. Even jumping spiders bother you with their cute little eyes?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel bad for arachnophobes, spiders are largely the most harmless things and really easy to deal with (cup over them, slide paper under, toss outside) but some people turn into mewling messes when faced with a bathroom spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got fired from my job of thirteen years today

Not because of anything I did, but because there's another guy with the same last name at my workplace and they namesearched his last name and removed the first result from the employee register rather than do any actual research into who was the one being fired

• Locked thread