Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For Odin Sphere, keep in mind that in order to get the best ending at least on the PS2 version you had to fight every single boss in the final chapter with every character. I assume that got changed in the remake but man that broke me and got me to just look it up on youtube back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And then Muramasa on the Vita had the same poo poo where to get the third endings for the DLC campaigns you had to beat every vanilla boss which takes like 2-3 times longer than the story campaign. VanillaWare has a major padding issue at times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if you prefer it I feel that mastering the float jump in Plague Knight is almost mandatory, otherwise the platforming just becomes too much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Yesterday snow followed by freezing rain

50 degrees today

1-1.5 feet of snow tomorrow

Man I love new england
On the bright side my boss said our whole group could WFH tomorrow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

82 degrees here. It's already getting to be summer in Texas.
I'd rather shovel snow every day than deal with a summer in Texas.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

I'm playing Dragon Quest 5 and it's wife time. Who do I pick? My heart says Bianca but I respect Debora's give-no-fucks attitude.
For what it's worth I picked Bianca when I played and while that was fine the more I heard about the type of banter you'd get with Debora tagging along the more I wish I had picked her instead. Plus she's IIRC a more pure-physical fighter which would've been nice for my party at the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't played MK in years so I'm probably not the best authority to comment upon this but what I did see of MKX made me kind of sick to my stomach.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Austin Walker is way smarter than I will ever be and I miss him dearly on GB. But I could see his style/approach not working all that well if not buoyed/balanced by the fun times being had by the other GB crew.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lurdiak posted:

You search your own lovely heart, FFX is a terrible game.
I don't hate FFX but playing it was kind of a watershed moment for me when I realized I just wasn't a FF fan anymore and lost any interest in playing new entries.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MMF Freeway posted:

Final fantasy's whole gimmick is that each game is different from the last. They just keep getting differenter
I mean, sure, but you can also take an old formula and still apply it to a modern game and make it work. Bravely Default is one of my favorite JRPGs of the last few years and it's basically just a SNES FF game with QoL improvements.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

If you wanted to introduce FF to someone with no experience with the series, what game would you start with?
If they have a tolerance for older games and sprites/16-bit gaming, FFIV or FFVI. If it had to be 3D then FFIX, I can't honestly in good faith recommend any of the other 3D ones but I'm obviously going to be alone on that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

i, too, remember the time when snes ff games repeated the last act over and over for no real reason
I'd rather play BD Acts 5-8 over and over againfor 80 hours than play 80 hours of any FF after FFIX.

Or 80 hours of Bravely Second, for that matter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Can we talk about Ys again? I really like Ys.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DKC2 is a top 3 best platformer ever for me. I could take or leave the rest of the franchise though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

tropical freeze is better than dkc2
DKC2 has far better difficulty balance, with fewer sections where it's "well I hope you make it through this in one try because if you die and lose your partner you might as well start completely over." I don't feel like I've aged 10 years after beating a DKC2 level like I did with Tropical Freeze.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like playing a game that makes me feel like I'm doing some Indiana Jones adventurin'. At the very least Uncharted 2 made me feel that way, I wasn't super thrilled with either 1 or 3. Still planning on playing 4 at some point though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The bee in Pre-Rec's bonnet about Naughty Dog games is so excruciatingly painful. Just...don't play those games. Like I got that they get irritated about people telling them constantly to try Last of Us or whatever but no one is holding a gun to their head about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Trails series at least pulls it off quite well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

babypolis posted:

thats true but trails is not an AAA franchise. the holy grail is a big budget game where choices carry over to the next game in a meaningful way. thats unworkable right now but im sure its doable with some yet unknown trickery and good game design and maybe advances in technology
Oh, Mass Effect :sigh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As an aside why the hell is Uncharted 4 $30 more expensive if you buy it digitally. I was kind of hoping to go all digital on the PS4 but that's making it super hard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CrashCat posted:

Well you answered your own question there, I would totally pick up Simpsons or Star Trek or some poo poo like that in the middle. And before online video got really going that was the only economical way to see em
That sure is some cherries you've picked there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

Why not play Tomb Raider Anniversary
This is is the sequel to Legends, right? Not TR 2013 or whatever that's supposed to be called. I really did not care for Legends.

suuma posted:

i dont get it
Berserk is a dark fantasy comic that has been in serialization for close to 30 years. While popular, it rather infamously went on a bunch of hiatuses in recent years that resulted in what was initially thought to be a short little arc (the characters got on a boat to go to their main destination) which wound up getting stretched across 10+ years real time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nasgate posted:

Berserk makes HxH look like it has a good release schedule.
I don't think Berserk has ever missed entire years with its hiatuses which HxH has done multiple times I believe.

E: lol, of course this is a thing: https://hiatus-hiatus.rhcloud.com/

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

i wish drew scanlon of giant bomb luck as he leaves to head the video game branch of people magazine, "Save State"
I am kind of inconsolable about this whole situation, if I am honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVjEXZmoSg

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some games run better on the Pro seems to be the main reason to get one, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Any Ys title on Steam is a good place to start.

Ys I&II is the "classic" style of gameplay where you attack enemies by bumping into them from behind or at angles. I don't think it's a terrible place to start unless you really don't want to deal with a game clearly built around older mechanics and world exploration conventions. If you don't play it first but do find yourself enjoying the other games I would still come back to it since it is sort of a pivotal series of events for Adol.

Ys Origin is top to bottom a well balanced action RPG affair, brought down only by the fact that you do have to play it at least twice to see the real ending (just make sure you don't play as Hugo before you go with the third character who unlocks after you beat the game once) and that you spend the whole game in one location so there is not as much variety. Also maybe this is just me, but I don't really recall too many memorable tracks which is an anomaly for the franchise.

Ys Oath in Felghana is my favorite title overall, I love the variety of locations/environments, the soundtrack is my overall favorite, and the challenge is perhaps the best balance (by comparison I find Ys Origin gets too easy by the end).

Ys VI is a bit rough around the edges, since it was the prototype that would lead to Origin and Felghana, but it's still fun for the same reason the other two. I still feel it's worth playing because like I&II it's kind of an important series of events for our red-haired hero.

There are other titles of course on PSP and Vita, VII and Memories of Celceta. Both still great but at that point you are getting to the party-based Ys games which are kind of a different beast from the the above Steam titles.

• Locked thread