Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

EB Games and GameStop are literally the same thing since like 2004 I thought? At least in America.

I don't doubt that they have quotas and such but in my experience a lot of that stuff is blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if all these anonymous employees talking to Kotaku are Record Store Clerk types.

There's a bunch of comments on the article from people that say they're employees or ex-employees and they all say Kotaku isn't exaggerating at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I've set foot in a chain game shop in over fifteen years. If you are going to go brick and mortar you may as well try to support locally-owned business

Those no longer really exist, Gamestop crushed them in the late 90s/early 2000s with its ridiculous resale prices and larger selection.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

River City Ransom Underground is FINALLY arriving this month after almost 4 years and it is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

I really hope it's gotten better since the builds I played. :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

But there's also plenty of shenanigans, and sushi, and slumber parties!!!!

Sold! To the creepy man in the overcoat who lives in the alley behind my apartment!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i think they tried to blame that video on a production assistant or something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Knuckles' Funeral & Knuckles

Unlike Sonic's funeral, I don't chuckle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Why is sonic still alive

They keep replacing him with a new Sonic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i miss bulbous old sonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhPd0sglrQ&t=292s

I said come in! posted:

1991 Sonic is my favorite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Controversial opinion but I like the sonic boom characters. Having them all be the same lanky build with the circle body and giant shoes and hands with different giant heads was boring, swole knuckles looks silly but at least he looks like a real cartoon character now

I don't think their designs are any worse than any of the other weird modern sonic designs. The writing on that show is great though.

Shindragon posted:

Really glad they went with the option to keep him silent, it made those cutscenes the best.

Especially whe he meets Amy. Even Classic Sonc is just like oh loving hell.

edit: I would've liked if they went with the Hedgehog Boom concept art instead.

I really wish we got a Generations 2 with Classic Knuckles and Sonic CD Amy. Preferably with a playable Tails and Knuckles, too. They're fun if the game's 2D and you don't make them hunt emeralds or drive mechs or whatever!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Original Sonic was based on Mickey Mouse. It's a real shame they abandoned that aesthetic in favor of nightmare zone Sonic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

jontron was funny on game grumps but an extremely awful person apparently. i don't watch grumps anymore but danny wasn't very good. maybe he's better now

They're loving commulists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_vIqMiHK0&t=211s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got every last fukken dime in that dusty house on my second playthrough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Double Dragon 4 isn't very good. :( I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's an obviously rushed one that clearly didn't really spend any time on polish. The nostalgic sprites are neat, and all the old Double Dragon moves are there (except the one where you sit down on a downed enemy and beat them to a pulp, for some reason), all the old enemies are back, but the feel of the game is wrong. This is no mega man 9, where the feel of the old games is recaptured perfectly, and it feels like picking up where the series left off. Despite the diverse moveset, the game's pace is so hectic that you're almost always better off just doing basic punches and kicks. Enemy attacks come too quick to really anticipate, so instead of trying to read the opponent and fighting them, you're just mashing the attack button and hoping to do as much damage as possible before you get knocked down by some surprise super move, which almost all enemies have now. The deliberate rhythm of the old games is nowhere to be seen. The story in a game like this doesn't really matter, but the translation isn't very good all the same.

If you guys just want to remember playing Double Dragon 2 with your little brother, buy this and play through it once and forget about it, and it's probably 7 dollars well spent. But if you're an insane person like me and think way too highly of a mostly-dead beat-em-up series, this is kind of a letdown. Double Dragon Advance and Double Dragon Neon are some of the most fun I've ever had playing games, and while that's a really high bar to clear, I was at least hoping this game could do its own thing well and recapture what was great about the NES entries in the DD series. Too bad.

/5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

I mean you're not wrong but there was a significant amount of beat-em-ups that were like set in the post-apocalypse, medieval fantasy settings, or where you fight aliens and robots as a superhero. And all the best street gang beat-em-ups end with you fighting a guy in a suit, anyway.

I don't know if it's any good, but this game is kinda close to what you're talking about, since you spend most of the game fighting a corporation and cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bdEu8smSE

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

The interesting part about Mario run is that it has one of the highest purchase rates ever for a game like that even though only like 5% of people who downloaded bought it. Apparently it's closer to like 0.5 - 1% of people who put money into F2P games

For some reason people were really offended by the price of the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MOBADs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Why didn't you give a thumbs up

I didn't take the screenshot, believe me I would've.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmmmmm.....

On the one hand I'm never going to play it again and I didn't really enjoy myself much. But on the other hand I cleared the whole thing and at no point did I go "gently caress this it's not even worth finishing".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Welp, I ended up Steam refunding Double Dragon 4. It feels a bit cheap, like I'm holding the game's short length against it, but it's really more that I know I'm never ever going to replay it, unlike other short games I really love. Now, I'm gonna play the River City Ransom Underground beta I just got in my inbox, and hope it's better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Now, I'm gonna play the River City Ransom Underground beta I just got in my inbox, and hope it's better.

Oh nooooooooooo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like RCR underground might be good someday, depending on how much time there is left between now and the official release. As it is, the bugs are pretty noticeable (settings in the options will randomly change and not let you switch them back to default, the in-game news alerts will pop up but have no text, enemies will get stuck in walls and become really difficult to hit but still be able to hit you back), there's some obviously placeholder items in the stores that are free and do nothing, and the difficulty balance is COMPLETELY hosed. I spent 2 hours just dying over and over during what's supposed to be the tutorial section. The enemies can combo you to death pretty easily, and since it's a game where you have no extra lives and health pickups don't spawn, it's like being stuck in an infinite loop of dying and starting over from the beginning of the first stage, double dragon 3 style. I eventually got to the part where the game finally opens up instead of putting you on a track (and I only did so by letting my AI partner do all the fighting), and the loop instead became "constantly get your money halved when you die, making it impossible to save up enough to buy any of the stat-upgrading items".

Like this isn't even a "get good" type of situation, this is "the devs obviously playtested this game themselves and don't realize how broken it is".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm still sad River City Ransom EX wasn't very good. Like in theory, adding more story, more gangs, more weapons, more super moves and incorporating the reputation system, companions and some characters from the weird JP-only edo-period sequel seems like a great idea, but in practice, well, Zack Parsons said it best when he described the design as "changing the game just enough to ruin it".

Aside from a bunch of the moves being completely overpowered and the new combat system totally breaking the simple flow of the original, the enemies stay down about 4x as long, making it really easy to completely destroy them if you don't care about your "rep", removing any real challenge from the game. They also couldn't be bothered giving everyone jeans and a t-shirt like they're SUPPOSED to have. Plus it doesn't have any form of co-op, what the gently caress!

There's also a weird bug in the US version where the credits screen has no credits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

If the game sucks maybe that's not an accident.

It doesn't suck THAT bad.

Shindragon posted:

I still can't believe it. We are actually getting the conclusion to this series. It took what 10 years or more?

Man I feel old.

13 years since it ended. I only wish Mako was still around to voice Aku.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked everything about RCR EX except for the box art

e:

There are a lot of little touches I liked. The game made an effort at expanding the story and tying it into the greater kunio-kun game-i-verse, and the localization has some neat references. There's a gang called The Dragons that has japanese students in it, and the two main ones are named Riki and Kunio. Two of them are also named after the Megatokyo creators, which was fun because it meant I could throw bricks at their heads.

I like how the dialogue and recruitable gang members change slightly depending on if you're playing as Alex, Ryan, or both. I liked some of the new weapons and moves, and that you could have a couple more enemies on screen. I like the options where you could decide how many enemies each gang had and other little options like that. I liked the cheat codes that let you customize your look and moveset.

But the downsides are just way too numerous. It just doesn't play anything like RCR, and is completely unbalanced in favor of the player character. And they took out environmental hazards like the river, what the heck!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was a typo, they meant to say the game will feature coop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm very afraid of spiders but I have conditioned myself to not kill them because the ones around here aren't poisonous and eat the actually harmful bugs. If one of them shows up I'll side-eye it until it scurries back to where I can't see it.

Red Bones posted:

I liked the guy in Diablo 3 that could throw jars of spiders everywhere, even if in retrospect he's kind of a terrible "spooky darkest Africa" racist cliche.

It's really weird that no one during development went "wait, this is like something out of a 1930s belgian comic"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

oh my god gently caress you I had managed to go like 10 years without thinking of that poo poo

Whenever someone itt talks about how anime is good, I imagine them as megatokyo.

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember when the first yugioh movie came out. I didn't see it but all the commercials had a disclaimer saying that the movie may upset children because of the depiction of monsters

I seen the first two pokemon movies in theater. Halfway through the second one I realized I was too old for this poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

There are tracking devices in all the funkos so the government knows who is trash

That lets them know who to give cabinet positions to.

In Training posted:

That's llike saying all movies are bad because Marvel sucks.

Not all anime is bad, but all anime fans are bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

oh yeah... yeah !! oh, yeah !!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

Kojima told IGN that it was the development staff's decision to use Raiden as the main character of Metal Gear Rising. He admitted that if it were up to him, he would have used Gray Fox instead. He also admitted that had Fox been used, he would have ended up writing and directing the game.

Dodged a bullet on that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those horror adventure games yahtzee made were really good. Well, except that last one. That one was stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VideoGames posted:

For those who read the Thermidor thread, it's now in the goldmine. I urge you to look at the image in either the first or last post because the original op got into a thread closing war with Palpek and I and it was quite special. :D

Holy moly, I don't even understand those long sequences of them closing and reopening the thread themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This video brings me joy, perhaps it will bring you joy as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dw3owTUL2E

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm playing Dragon Quest 5 and it's wife time. Who do I pick? My heart says Bianca but I respect Debora's give-no-fucks attitude.

Pick a guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It says right there in the title, it's just a kay game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

Why is there always a spider level :negative:

I remember as a kid playing through the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 and getting to the sewer level and just seeing the biggest tarantula ever chilling on the wall and going "Aaaahhhh gently caress. gently caress!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I am worried about the upcoming castlevania series because last I heard Warren Ellis had replaced the whip with a sword, so there would be zero point to any of it.

• Locked thread