Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first girl I dated in high school lent me her annotated copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. But that's not important. What is important is that no one has mentioned Hark, A Vagrant! and we should all feel a little bad about that.

Although Beaton's stuff is also in legit printed format so she's not "just" a webcomic anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where my 1812 shooters at? Burning down The White House would be really cathartic these days.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

As a general question to the thread, what game were you best at? It doesn't need to be like professional level play or being a speedrunner, but everyone's had their obsessions throughout gaming. What game absorbed your time and you wanted to master in your own way?

With trophies and collectibles and completion rates and higher difficulty levels always staring me in the face it's tough to say I've "mastered" any game in a long time. I was pretty rad at Super Double Dragon, though!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

corn in the bible posted:

i've played link to the past many times because its the only perfect videogame

Hm forgot about the L.T.T.P. Might have to change my answer to that.

One thing that always seemed genius but strange about that game is the handling of the Master Sword. When I was younger and first playing it I was taken aback at how that sword was given the whole mystical perfect weapon Narsil Excalibur treatment but it's only the 2nd of 4 swords you get (the latter two being upgrades but still).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Well true. I'm just saying, if you had asked me 20 years ago I would have thought that by now LASIK would be something you could get done in an afternoon for $50.

The technology is getting better. What you're probably thinking of as LASIK has become much cheaper but it's also been surpassed. It's the new processes that are less invasive, faster healing, have fewer potential side effects, are available to a wider patient base, etc. that are more expensive. You can drop several G's per eye if you want the good poo poo or have eyeballs shaped like beanbag chairs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

To me all credibility flew out the window when the movie presented Doom 3 as a good game

I took this as a necessary evil so that he could get the people to talk to him. Might be harder if he was like "so that game before was a turd, eh? how'd you wipe away that poo poo stain and pull up your pants to make the next one?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Civ V with all the expansions is, no hyperbole, one of the ten best games in the history of video games

City builders and 4x'ers are the only reasons I'm sad I don't do computer gaming anymore. Oh well. They're such a time sink anyway (keep telling yourself that, Lobok).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

[david hayter voice] 4. k. ports

don't be a hayter

[andrew anthony voice] 4. K. Ports. It's in the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

If the best thing you can say about the combat in an RPG is "I can program my party members to play the game by themselves" then you need some better combat, imho.

I don't know if this was the best thing that could be said about those games' combat systems but you raise a good point. Though I think the appeal of the programmability, while it implies a certain level of predictability in combat, was that you could fine-tune your allies' behaviour rather than relying on good AI or having to micro manage them. I definitely wish we had some IF logic for mates in Mass Effect for that reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inquisition's loading screen lore seemed like it would be cool but there was never enough time to read the longer entries : /

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

you shouldn't romance your parents

What if they're in a videogame and they offer sweet stat bonuses?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I need some recommendations for good or weird PS2 games to buy and then rip to my hard drive for better load times.

The Warriors

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shadows of Mordor II: More Dour Shadows

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instant Sunrise posted:

happy 42nd birthday GamemasterAnthony

This party of his sounds like Heaven. And not in the sense of it being a great time, I mean it sounds like he's wishing to go to actual Heaven. Suicide watch 9 years later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I only really notice frame rates when I'm switching between games. Normally I play just one game and when I'm done with it I move on to something else but lately I've been splitting my time between Hitman and Doom and I never noticed Hitman's frame rate until after I started Doom. But while I notice, I don't really care.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

What I wanted from a game where weapon durability is something I have to care about is to need to be a versatile scavenger. I don't mind having to frequently replace my weapons if everything about the game lets me treat those weapons as disposable. And in Breath of the Wild, that's what it looks like they're doing: weapons are easy to find, you don't have a build that pushes you toward any particular weapon type or another, and you don't invest upgrade materials or resources into any specific weapon. You use what you find and throw it away when you're done. I like that.

Where it could get unfun is if it butts up against a restrictive inventory size, though, or if weapons degrade so quickly that they break in nearly every fight, so I'll reserve actual judgment until I play it.

The weapon durability could be an easier pill to swallow if there was some kind of basic weapon you could always rely on but then I suppose people would rely on it and complain that the character was so weak or the difficulty was too high. I respect their attempt at doing it and agree with you that if the system is built around constant looting and scavenging then it could be pretty cool. I wonder about the sense of "progression" if you're constantly relegated to using Deku Sticks or are always on the verge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. I think weapon-related progression is probably just going to have to come down to stronger enemies having stronger weapons, so you're using stronger weapons as you go.

I wonder how they're handling the Master Sword. My guess is that it's weak but unbreakable, and that you'll either power it up at the very tail end of the game (so it doesn't totally kill the weapon scavenging earlier than that), or it's a lot stronger specifically against Ganon.

Be kind of cool if the Master Sword had some Kirby-esque or Darksiders II capability of absorbing other weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I like how nobody is going to ever acknowledge that Avatar had a game already.

My grandma bought me that game. I traded it in months later without ever opening it. She's passed away now so I expect her to haunt her ungrateful grandson.

• Locked thread