Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Deviant posted:

Can I go into Tilted Kilt again and order 18 shots of fireball?

Did you start the shot rounds? I stopped feeling at all bad about walking in unannounced and saying something like "Table for 16, make that 18" after like the 3rd round of shots.

We also need our trivia sign in the thread. Are we sure trivia is dead? I thought they moved it to Thursday or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

I don't think its the hotel so much as the room. Pretty sure you need a suite or something else larger for more than 4.

It'd have to be a 2 double/queen room with either a pullout sofa or the ability to request an additional bed/cot. Springhill Suites often have a pullout sofa (just checked and the Indy downtown one does as well)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Because I'm not going to deal with driving in everyday.

It's not optimal, but it's not that terrible. I stayed out in Carmel my first year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Quarex, I forgot I did take 1 picture at Gen Con last year! Taken at like 2pm on Saturday, I give you GenCon.jpg

Pretty sure he just dropped and passed out right there they way he is sprawled out.

I thought Bottom Liner took the real GenCon.jpg(s), though in a similar vein:

I think it's the stack of games that makes it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Carteret posted:

It didn't help that we were literal agents of chaos being goony idiots trying to break poo poo.
...although to be fair we (USSR) did both fake and successfully BEAT the Americans to the moon. It helped that John Glen died early. TOTALLY NOT US

I wasn't. Even trying to play it straight, it still sucked unless you got one of the major roles. After I got shut down by the staff member for the one thing that popped on the newsfeed that was actually in my bailiwick ("Oh no, that would have to be done by the Politboro" for an internal counterintelligence issue when I was supposed to be the head of the KGB directorate dealing with counterintelligence), I left and started sending pictures to the Goon GroupMe of Comrade RumnCoke with my KGB badge from the hotel bar.

I desperately wanted it to be fun. I was in Model UN in high school; I'm the type of person who should like NSDM. But it was pretty terrible.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Radio Free Walrus posted:

As a heads up, the stadium parking pricing may be going up / be harder to get now and in the future since True Dungeon has moved into Lucas Oil. If nothing else all the volunteers for that event will rush that area so they don't have to walk a while after doing their shifts.

TD moved to Lucas Oil last year? :confused:

edit: http://www.gencon.com/press/stadiumexpansion

fordan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Derek, that posted that, is one of the data guys for Gen Con and I am sure he pulled those stats from what everyone tried to register for last Sunday.

Yeah, it came from ranking the unmet demand by looking at the number of wishlists a game appeared on in excess of the number of slots available. He said he pulled out the games that he didn't expect to be out before Gen Con, so I assume the RPGs RRA mentioned are coming out in the next month or two, although i couldn't say for sure; I'm way more a board game guy than RPG.

I did find it interesting that Battlestar Galactica was on the list; I tried for a game on my wishlist and missed, but didn't think there would be that much demand for it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

There are also game types that I will buy and never get on my game table with friends but I can find people who'd want to play at Gen Con.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The point is, they actually could make it worse; just imagine if they started auctioning off all newly-available VIG badges and people found out that there are attendees who could (and would) drop 5 figures to attend Gen-Con! Or, even more excitingly terrible, if they stripped ALL the VIG badges and distributed them to the 500 highest bidders, I suspect all of which would be at least mid-4 figures! CAPITALISMMMMMmmmmmmm

As a connoisseur of online drama, I want this to happen so I can read the Gen Con forums about how they're the most loyal fans and this isn't fair and we deserve our special privileges and now it's just rich people with the perks and...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sloober posted:

They're popular but are also well known in the SA circle as having really bad, nearly unforgivable opinions about things, in addition to dubious game reviews that cite fun as a reason to like something rather than a mechanics based analysis.

Fun is unacceptable to goons, as witnessed by the title of the board games thread.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I can't wait until the year I get to play a game of something or an RPG in the baseball stadium.

Victory Field, the AAA baseball stadium next to the JW seems a bit more... sunny than your typical Gen Con attendee would prefer.

fordan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

We did get participation from the other rooms/groups for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never been to GenCon, and only been to one con ever, which was comparatively tiny and lame. I have a hotel booked (25 minutes away because I'm cheap) and 4-day badges for the lady and I. I also grabbed some tickets for a few events THAT I HAVE TO SEE GOD DAMNIT even though I missed one of them. The girlfriend is not this kind of nerdy but IS a photographer and has found a few events of interest. How many generic tickets should we be looking at? Do a lot of events involve sitting at a table with empty seats and plunking my tickets down like I'm about to lose at blackjack?

Also the bag you linked somewhere in the OP goes to a Page Not Found. Off World Designs or whatever.

I usually snag $10 in generics and don't use most of them because I end up playing board games in bars setup via the GroupMe rather than worrying about most official events that are sold out. However, you can turn in your unused generics on the last day and they'll give you system credit for next year minus a 5% fee so buying too many to be prepared isn't terrible (assuming you come again). Personally, I'd say buy like $10-$12 for the two of you. You can always go buy more if you use a lot of them. (I was going to use Artemis or Bridge Simulator for 2 as the criteria for how many impulse generics to have, but when the hell did that go to $12? When the Mechwarrior pods are $8?)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

8one6 posted:

My advice is to look through the event guide on Wednesday (You'll be at Gen Con on the phantom 5th day, right?) and find the events that you'd like to go to. If you want to get in with generics show up to the game 10ish minutes early and let the person running it know that You'd like to play if they have any openings. If someone skips you'll get their seat.

Even if full and everyone shows up there's also a decent chance that if the type of game supports it that it might go from say a 6-person to a 7-person game if there's someone there with interest and generics in hand. Obviously a lot harder with a board game with a fixed max number of players although I've seen GMs who were planning to play and run the game give up their spot and just run it without being one of the players. What kind of games are you interested in, Admiral?

That Old Tree posted:

Don't forget, there will also be pickup games everywhere, and Games on Demand.

Goons set up a lot of pickup games via the GroupMe chat using tables no one seems to be using or in bars. Get the app, get an external battery for your phone because goons are a chatty bunch.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, plenty of room in the gaming hall.

Until they come and claim your table for a scheduled event after you spent an hour setting up Scythe and trying to figure out how to play. But that never happens.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

You can use the highprogrammer site to generate calendar entries for your events, but as far as I know you still need to do it one-by-one (though you can search by event ID which makes it not terrible).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

First shot of my life and it was Fireball. Goons are the worst, WOO!

Edit: no seriously Fireball it's the worst

Fireball is terrible for most things, but it's good for shots. :colbert:

8one6 posted:

Why do Union Station and the JW Marriott have to be so goddamn far from everything?

The JW is very close to High Velocity, so clearly not everything.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

LLSix posted:

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

Gen Con is much more a "go with a group if you want to have fun" con than most are. A lot of what people do isn't on the official schedule but more stuff like "I got this new game from the hall, who wants to figure it out with me" and "Hey, we have alcohol and a flat surface, what games do we want to play?" It is much more dealer-hall-focused than other cons; once it closes you're mostly on your own with occasional official events planned.

In other words: "Get in the goon GroupMe."

Gutter Owl posted:

Gotta check out of the motel by 11am tomorrow, flight doesn't leave until 7pm. Anyone know a decent place to kill a few hours in Indy? Preferably where you can take a roller suitcase for a few hours without getting too many weird stares.

Go to the airport early and play more games?

quote:

Extend your Gaming Experience at IND Airport

The Indianapolis Airport (IND) loves Gen Con so much that they're creating dedicated gaming spaces following Gen Con on August 20 and 21. If you're flying out of Indy post-show, these will be great locations to play games while you wait for your flights! In three dedicated gaming areas, they will provide tables and chairs with nearby signage indicating the specific gaming areas.

The three locations will be at:
Civic Plaza (in the pre-security check area, just past the ticketing hall near the restaurants)
Concourse A near 96th Steakburgers
Concourse B near Shapiro’s Deli
Play spaces in the concourses will be smaller in area as compared to Civic Plaza, based on space allocation and airport operations. Help us extend thanks to IND Airport via Twitter using the hashtag #loveindy. Tweet your gaming experience at IND airport with #gencon50, and remember to leave plenty of time to make it to your gate!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Klungar posted:

On the flip side, I had 14 hours worth of events on Saturday, so I'm not quite sure how you couldn't find enough stuff to fill your interest if official convention events is what you were looking for.

:stare:

Tournaments or RPG?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

But Gen Con added its unique touch of you get to pay per game.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean the games that are literally played in the hallways outside the main halls. Like, beside the convention center doors heading to the JW and such. I always just saw people sitting in circles, I'm pretty sure those are just pickup games (but they definitely do have official Werewolf events too).

No, those are the official werewolf events in the ICC hallway near the JW, they just keep enough games running that they have no problem accepting walk-ups with generics. I had an all-weekend werewolf ribbon I bought several years ago before knowing that goons could fill all the gaming time I could hope for. They have a little table facing the hallway in one of the ICC rest areas where you pick up the ribbon or get matched up with a game if one of the GMs doesn't pull you in. The table also usually has the free "Gaymer" and "Ally" rainbow ribbons as well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Toshimo posted:

The DragonCon one?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dorstein posted:

Forgot about the Westin. Thanks!

Is the JW attached? I remember having to go outside, same as the Omni. Is there some kinda tunnel or something?

It is; you do a skybridge to a parking garage and then over to the JW. It is from a far end of the ICC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

we went skiing.

That was 2 years ago. This year we happily avoided re-enacting Deliverance at a cabin in the mountains of Tennessee.

• Locked thread