Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cea is great but that seems like an odd concern. There's only so much energy to go around and we should be thinking harder about m4a and public banking imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

uncurable mlady posted:

yall think weed'll pass? cuomo was on npr up here saying that he thinks it'll get done but idk

Sanders has pointed out that there's effectively no opposition to it at all. The anti-weed groups have just ghosted over the last few years.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Interesting.

The only angle I know about that in New York is financial - the weed capitalists want a public bank because the existing locals are too small and the larger ones would endanger their federal charter. I'm curious if the stalling on public bank work has thrown a wrench in that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a NYC DSA campaign to bring back postal banking but idk how much of a priority it is for them

I'm in this campaign. It's moving up in priority but housing was taking up nearly all our energy due to legislative urgency.

Sanders is on board and he's the most powerful wrt this project, trouble is that the lobbyists are all capitalists right now and Cuomo is trying to engineer a public bank staffed by his friends from Goldman etc. So we want to move fast enough to keep the left wing momentum, but in such a way that we sand bag Cuomo out of what he wants.

A comical part of this is that there's a contingent that wants a NYC-only bank, and what's funny is that the city government is more conservative on this front than the state, AND they're way less able to affect spending, so it's just a huge waste of time and really inane bickering over implementation.

Malcolm XML posted:

the only way public banking will work is if it's federal and basically a post office bank but people already hate the usps for stupid reasons and it'll be yet another thing to target the usps for.

we even had post office savings 50 years ago :(

North Dakota currently has a state public bank. There's really not much reason that a state can't do it, and the biggest issue (political will) is a bigger problem at the federal level.

That said, postal banking is kind of interesting in that I'm pretty sure the post office can just DO it. Their union is pushing for it, but it's stalled for like nearly a year.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GalacticAcid posted:

not only can they just do it, they did it from 1911 to 1966

I mean, my understanding is that the laws are such that they don't need congress to reauthorize. It's just 1) local consent 2) post master general. PMG is currently still an Obama appointment (apparently nobody really did a good job of spelling out how to end a PMG other than resign or die), but I'm losing faith that that matters.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i said this before but i'm glad that the rent laws are permanent for this exact reason

:same:

Main competition for labor resources are now m4a and electoral, but tbh the electoral labor is non fungible so whatever.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://www.wired.com/story/how-9-people-built-illegal-5m-airbnb-empire-new-york/

I hate Airbnb more and more each day

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Victory Position posted:

hey, are there any leftist things going on outside of New York City? you know, like in Buffalo and Rochester? Finger Lakes?

If you don't have a problem with DSA, there's upstate chapters

https://www.dsausa.org/chapters/#ny

I am not sure how good they are, since I'm more likely to go to NJ than upstate, Binghamton seems to be the one I hear the most about through very vague osmosis. I do know most of the upstate chapters did not endorse Nixon.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Boris is really charismatic and hardworking in my experience with him, so that's pretty great.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeshivas are more a misnagdim thing, aren't they? Anyway I don't really get the "anime wall scroll" joke. :geno:

The Hasidic theory of immanence is that all of reality is infused with God's presence. This means that all things are viable objects of communion, and that all things must be approached as if holy. Following this, any pleasure can be elevated to worship with the proper spiritual state.

A version of this I heard was that one of the early figures liked smoking tobacco and expensive paintings, which he was criticized as being unserious for enjoying. He defended his approach with "these things are part of the world and thus part of our project." So, it's easy to extend this to any silly thing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cuomo sure knows how to pick'em

I'm sure the Daily News will find a way to spin this as de Blasio's fault, somehow.

God I hate our governor so much.

What's the deal with governors almost always being the biggest pieces of poo poo?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

He supported the IRA until the IRA was against the Iraq War lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Hey New Yorkers, I need your help! A bill sits on Cuomo's desk that needs signing, WITHOUT AMENDMENTS! It is for non-medical switching, which means that insurance companies cannot take away meds that were on the formulary at the beginning of the year.

This is Really Important for many people. In my case, if my MS meds are taken from me, I can become seriously disabled and unable to work.

Lobbyists are trying to dilute this bill by saying that insurance companies can take away any med with 60 days notice.

Please sign this, if Cuomo caves in on this, it will mean the end to any usefulness I have in this life.
https://secure.nationalmssociety.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4037

Thank you!!!!!!!

Signed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What then happens when Uber and Lyft run out of VC money?

https://twitter.com/CBS6Albany/status/1210694181477322753

Then we build a robust public transit system, largely focusing on traihahahahahaa

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Count on Cuomo to use a pandemic as an excuse to further consolidate his power.

https://twitter.com/yuhline/status/1235014277964103685

Yuh-Line is really cool and good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Without the level of detail that could come back to me: City government is in complete shambles right now, for over a week I was getting mutually exclusive orders from the governor, the mayor, and several people above me in the chain of command. Every office is either trying to pretend there's no problem, or is completely paralyzed.

It has been an amazing demonstration that the theory that the bureaucracy acts with any unified will is completely wrong.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's some serious butter you got there, Jay S. Jacobs! I'm quoting the email version I got just now from the NYSDC mailing list.

I want to die.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Anyone here work for City/State govt and have any news on how budget cuts are going to effect your agency?

I work for NYC in a division funded by bonds rather than revenue, so we're feeling slightly hopeful that most of us will keep our jobs. Word is they would offer early retirement to folks before laying off/furloughing younger employees.

That said, they're absolutely cutting all summer programs, including some seasonal workers. Unsure of what will happen to the "workfare" employees who handle so much maintenance and cleaning (and who have been on the frontlines these past six weeks as most of my office has been working from home.

We all know big cuts are here, and more are coming. How is this going to shake out at different levels?

NYC Medicaid. We're getting absolutely slammed, I think that's just well known at this point, Cuomo seems to view destroying us as a core goal of his administration. Cuts are likely to hit end users more than workers. Difficult to guess at the downstream ramifications like hospital closures.

Have a friend at NYC Parks. They're getting a 120M budget cut, mostly on contract services (e.g. tree removal). They're going to lose 150 permanent positions and the POP program getting savaged, which makes me real mad.

For those not in the know, the POP program is a set of jobs given out to welfare recipients based on need, with the only qualifications being a physical fitness test, having a certain welfare status, and not having been banned from the program. 6 months, 35 hours a week, slightly above minimum wage, union membership. There's a parallel program for DSNY, but it's about half as big. I used to work employment, and of all the employment opportunities in NYC it's the only one that reliably hires people without high school. Of all the elements of the welfare system I've worked with, it's the most functional, and is deservedly popular among clients. My #1 "thing that DSS could do to improve the city" is expanding the program radically (making it permanent, among other things).

It's going to go from 11k to 0 this year.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

gently caress.

I'm also at DPR and hadn't heard these details. I assumed maintenance would be cut, but the POP program? Those folks do real work that will still need to be done, and the benefit to both the people in it and to the City can't be overstated. Some of my favorite people to work with are POP folks, and several have been hired to full time positions after their 6 month tour was over.

God drat.

I heard this like, as I was typing, so it's pretty fresh. My source is pretty reliable so I'd be surprised if it was total bullshit.

Main thing that has been coming down in DSS is that CA and SNAP are increasingly falling behind on their backlog, so there's some thinking about temp reassigning other staff to handle those cases.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

But we definitely cannot raise taxes on the wealthy

Or expropriate their assets in real estate

No see, we can't do anything that could scare them off. Also BTW they're all already relocating anyway to Delaware/the Dakotas now that they've figured out telecommuting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I generally believe that people are, at worst, motivated by a desire for self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement. Cuomo's behavior only makes sense if it's motivated by a seething hatred for New Yorkers and a truly disciplined desire to see them suffer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm a chapter union rep and brought this up w/ our chapter president to see if we could organize on behalf of the POP program. He sent it to some high-ups in DC37, and the bosses said they are aware of cuts to Parks, but primarily in terms of not hiring seasonal workers. They didn't know about the POP program. Everything they have heard is that there are no planned layoffs, tho there might be some furloughs in the cultural institutions. (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcla/index.page)

Interesting, and cool.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Real hurthling! posted:

The true believers who remain are enthusiastic leftists who justify — or welcome — the dissolution of law and order.

-national review re: new yorkers who didnt flee

This definitely makes me sound cooler than "not really in a position to leave."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://www.politico.com/states/new...layoffs-1307768

Hm, not great.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2020/08/26/doomsday-budget-mta-threatens-40-service-cuts-to-buses-subways-if-federal-aid-fails-to-arrive/

It's really bleak that 40% cuts leads to a 0.88 billion reduction on a 12 billion shortfall, aka it's not gonna loving work.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Kind of weird focus for a Congressional campaign.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1303797862510329867

Is...BdB running for a seat in Staten Island?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

there's a really, really big political divide between people who are 'informed' and people who are 'not,' which really means between people who read news as a hobby like C SPAM posters and Nate Silver, and people who have other hobbies and hear about these sorts of things weeks or years after the fact, if ever (and usually then only from the people who can afford to pay for gilded loudspeakers)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GalacticAcid posted:

cuomo might actually go down

Can't wait, though who would follow him is not something I'm excited to find out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i imagine there's plenty of behind the scenes wrangling and lining up of ducks to settle who gets all those profits

ya it's not too hard if you go to town halls with state senators to figure out that the obstacles to legal weed are basically the financial sector (can't use FDIC banks) and making sure that the profits don't go to waste i.e. people who aren't already multimillionaires

the other obstacles seem pretty trivial and its less a question of "if" than "when" and "how"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"Still"? Undecided has been trending up lol.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mrmcd posted:

He'd probably be worse that Bloomberg. Bloomberg was a fairly competent administrator, he just didn't give a poo poo about anything unless it was important to millionaires or the donor industries of Wall St and Real Estate.

Yang would just be an endless amount of reddit ideas guy bullshit. He lose half the city budget to some Musk level conman scheme within the first year.

If the legends from my office (Medicaid) are anything to go by, Bloomberg was a staggeringly incompetent administrator. It feels like 75% of the work we do is cleaning up messes he made, and fucker hasn't even been our boss for nearly a decade.

CaptainPsyko posted:

All my homies hate Andrew Yang.

This is a good thing, it represents the fact that people have started to pay attention to the race, and it's moving past pure name recognition, but also that the campaign has more time to settle and for people to actually be convinced by one or another candidate.

Yeah it looks like confidence in Yang peaked in February and then Yang started to appear in the news as a person rather than just the generic concept of 'has been in the national spotlight before' so he's been dropping. "Other" is the other one that's dropping, and fortunately Stringer and Morales seem to be the next biggest beneficiaries after "Don't know."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mrmcd posted:

Anecdotally career city govt functionaries seem to dislike DeBlasio way more the Bloomberg.

As an early-career city functionary, you're talking to different city functionaries than I am.

I will say that I've seen some variation - NYPD obviously hates DeBlasio way more, and Social Services (where I have most of my experience) hates Bloomberg with incredible depth and passion. Finance seems to be a real hive of hating DeBlasio because they're at the sharp end of his most annoying habit as a boss (pouring everything into a project for exactly as long as it takes to cut a ribbon and then peeling out ASAP).

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I distinctly remember a lot of the people favorably talking about Bloomberg basically saying that he’s already so ludicrously wealthy that he’d be less likely to use the office for personal enrichment

lol literally an argument that de Tocqueville poo poo all over when talking about good things about America

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KomradeX posted:

Ahh so they're just waiting for this to be officially buried.

Cause even if you wasnt to wait on the sec stuff it's more than clear he got thousands of New Yorkers killed for his donors

afaict that's just not impeachable or in any way a problem from the eyes of a state

lol for us

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KomradeX posted:

I keep seeing this Eric Adams ads on YouTube and I can't stand the guy. Like you talk about being a victim of police abuse, you than became a cop and did gently caress all about it. It's driving me insane

In this world its be abused by cops or be the cop abusing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Making me feel slightly guilty that the only time I think about a subway station as having any sort of characteristics is when I find transferring there annoying (e.g. Broadway Junction).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Paper Boy Prince lookin real good about now.

Yeah they rule, probably my 1 at this point.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/ZachandMattShow/status/1398080880921489410

What a goddamn clownshow.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/bagga_sid/status/1400170971823185920?s=19

:coal::coal::coal::coal::coal::coal::coal::coal:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i convinced two friends yesterday to vote paperboy prince as their number 1

lol hell yeah

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That bed was put in there just for this shot right? cuz there's no way it wouldn't scratch that floor like crazy otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kitten emergency posted:

I’m a little surprised at how many people are acting like yang ever had a chance

He polled really well for a while. Then he opened his mouth lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My paranoid rear end is thinking that Adams is being super strident now so that he can do a stop the steal thing later.