Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

also, no mention of the fact that the Queens branch voted No on an endorsement despite profiling susan kang extensively lol

the failing new yorker

god this is fuckin bad and SO BORING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

I guess but I dislike how it jumps from quoting her on her advocacy for an endorsement, then jumps to quoting a “more skeptical faction based in North Brooklyn,” when in reality her own loving borough voted no. Just seems to elide the reality, imo

Well also the article is only loving barely about the headline! Like, what a weird lede for the content

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

ues has changed so much in the last ten years. now 2nd and 3rd have become like huge douchebag 30 something hangout drags with the same bar copy pasted for 30 blocks while streets like madison have 10 empty store fronts per block in the 80's/90's cause all the olds died i guess?

The entire west side of 1st Ave between 85 and 86 has zero occupancy its the worst, being able to watch neighborhoods die in real time sucks rear end

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's embarrassing that the gentrifier beer store on 95th that I loved closed and has been vacant for a year. also the biggest change I've noticed North of the hospital is the citibikes. EVERYWHERE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a citibike costs more than a subway rid elmaooo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mrmcd posted:

Made the whole NYPD mad for the obscene insult of implying that maybe kinda sorta cops shouldn't just be allowed to murder minorities without recourse or accountability.

i still fondly recall this quite often, the brief couple days where the cops went "on strike" and everyone in the city had a blessed, non-harassed day

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I helped out donating to david sirota both via his patreon and his wife's campaign and it's paying off huge lol. his brain got broke hard and he's been taking it out on scumbags ever since

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

:ducksiren: 2018 NY State Primaries Megapost :ducksiren:

New York had its federal primaries already. Our state primaries are held later in the year, presumably to reduce turnout. New York politics kinda sucks!

Statewide races:
  • Governor: Incumbent governor Andrew Cuomo is running for a third term. New York doesn't has gubernatorial term limits because, again, NY politics sucks. Cuomo is an rear end in a top hat and scared off everyone in elected office from running against him. His only challenger is actress Cynthia Nixon. Nixon likes to talk about how Cuomo is corrupt, as well as how he actively prevents progressive legislation like the New York Health Act because of his enabling of a group of right-wing Democrats called the IDC (more on that later!). For his part, Cuomo doesn't see Nixon as his chief rival in this race- he wants people to know he's running against his old eastern Queens buddy: Donald Trump. That's pretty obvious because that's been the topic of all of his campaign literature. Well, all his literature that doesn't accuse Nixon of being an anti-Semite. Cuomo is going to win easily, though (see the tweet with the poll below).
  • Attorney General: Former NYAG Eric Schneiderman was considered to be an up-and-comer in the state political scene, until an article in the New Yorker about how he abused women caused him to resign. Midterm openings happen a lot in New York. There's a four-way primary for this office. NYC Public Advocate and former City Councilwoman Leticia "Tish" James has the backing of the Cuomo machine because she told the Working Families Party to gently caress off instead of seeking their endorsement. Since then, she's been cozying up to Cuomo in an office that's better when it has more independence. Zephyr Teachout is a law professor at Fordham Law who wrote a book about money, corruption, and the American political system. She ran against Cuomo for governor four years ago and lost. She has the backing of the WFP and the New York Times. For some reason, Hudson Valley Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney decided to join the race, and seemingly has the backing of nobody except a decent amount of voters (see poll below). I don't know much about Leecia Eve except that she's based in Buffalo and is paid off by Verizon while being good on other things. Because of the closeness of the race, anything can happen here.
  • Lieutenant Governor: Nobody really cares about this office. It's currently held by former Western New York Congresswoman Kathy Hochul and she's running for re-election. NYC Councilmember Jumaane Williams saw an opening and is running as a primary challenger. Possibly because the race is so low-key, polling is tight.

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1039117165503369217
While polls can be wrong, I don't think Nixon has a chance in hell at beating Cuomo. The Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor races seem more wide-open.

State Legislature Races

In my previous post laying out New York City and State politics, something very important happened. Through a deal reached by Gov. Cuomo, the main Democratic caucus of the State Senate and the rogue Independent Democratic Caucus (IDC) were reunited. However, they're still a seat short of the majority thanks to Simcha Felder (of the heavily Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn neighborhoods of Midwood and Borough Park, as well as much of Kensington and part of Bensonhurst) remaining in the Republican caucus.

What hasn't changed is anger against the now ex-IDC senators. All of them have challengers, each with a range of chances at knocking out incumbents.
  • SD-34: Jeff Klein is the former lead of the IDC and currently the deputy leader of the Senate Democrats. He represents much of the North Bronx and part of Westchester County, including a small sliver that connects the eastern part of the district with Riverdale and Kingsbridge in the west. His challenger is former Hillary Clinton campaign staffer Alessandra Biaggi, who seems like a decent candidate in spite of that past affiliation. In addition to having the endorsement of WFP and several other progressive Democratic group, she's endorsed by the powerful 32BJ union. There's a good chance at the incumbent losing here.
  • SD-31: Marisol Alcantara represents the Upper Manhattan neighborhoods of Inwood and Washington Heights, as well as the western parts of Harlem, Morningside Heights, the Upper West Side, and Hell's Kitchen. Right after winning the general election, she announced she'd join the IDC, which gave money to her campaign. She was the winner of a three-way primary with former Harlem City Councilman Robert Jackson and Micah Lasher. Jackson decided to run again, and he has the endorsement of the WFP and multiple members of State Assembly and Congress. I think there's a good chance of Alcantara losing as well.
  • SD-13: Jose Peralta was the last mainline Democrat to secede to the IDC. He represents the diverse Queens neighborhoods of Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, and Corona, as well as parts of Astoria, Elmhurst, and Woodside. Peralta has three other challengers, but the most serious one is Jackson Heights community activist Jessica Ramos. She has the endorsement of Bill de Blasio and the New York Times, as well as Nixon, Williams, and various progressive Dem groups. Mark another chance for an incumbent being defeated here.
  • SD-20: Jesse Hamilton is a piece of poo poo who represents the Central Brooklyn districts of Prospect Heights, Prospect Leffert Gardens, East Flatbush, Crown Heights, and Brownsville. He defected to the IDC two days before the 2016 election because he's a piece of poo poo. Even though he rejoined the main Dem caucus, he's still a piece of poo poo who is being challenged by Lefferts Gardens attorney Zellnor Myrie, who has the endorsements of the Times, the Daily News, the WFP, Bill de Blasio, and various Congressmembers and Assemblymembers in parts of SD-20. Hamilton, that piece of poo poo, used a local community organization to smear Myrie- accusing him of not being from Brooklyn (he was born and raised here by parents from Costa Rica), not passing the bar exam (he passed before he even graduated law school), and being the preferred candidate for white people (LOL). I really want Jesse to lose pleaaaaaase
  • SD-53: Original IDC member Dave Valesky represents parts of Syracuse and counties to its east. Syracuse community activist Rachel May is challenging him. I don't know much about this race, but May has the endorsements of the WFP and several other Dem groups. I have no idea about her chances.
  • SD-11: Tony Avella was the first person to join the IDC outside of the original four. He represents a goddamn mess of a district in northeastern Queens, including parts of Flushing, Fresh Meadows, and Jamaica.. Former city comptroller and mayoral candidate John Liu is challenging Avella to a rematch after being inspired by Ocasio-Cortez's victory and getting on the ballot very quickly. I'm not familiar with this part of NYC but I want to say he has a chance?
  • Former IDC members Diane Savino (northern Staten Island as well as Coney Island and Brighton Beach in Brooklyn) and David Carlucci (Rockland and Westchester Counties) also have challengers, but I doubt they're gonna lose.

Bonus State Senate races not involved with the IDC:
  • SD-18: This seat encompasses the gentrifying (and, in some cases, already gentrified and Manhattanized) north Brooklyn neighborhoods of Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Cypress Hills. Since the early 2000s, the seat has been held by Martin Dilan, who looks like a ghoul and takes more money from real estate interests than everyone in the Senate but Klein, gets 70% of contributions from private interests in total, and voted for vacancy decontrol when he was in the City Council. His challenger is Julia Salazar, a community activist who has the endorsement of NYC DSA, Nixon, Williams, Teachout, the WFP, and other groups. There are also allegations that question her Jewishness, immigrant status, and class status. Regardless of how much are true and how much is false, Dilan is corrupt and I don't doubt Julia's politics.
  • SD-17: Simcha Felder represents this heavily Orthodox Jewish district in the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Borough Park, Midwood, Kensington, and parts of Ditmas Park and Bensonhurst. There are also sizable Caribbean, Russian, Hispanic, and South Asian populations. Ditmas Park attorney Blake Morris is running an uphill campaign. He says he's made inroads to the Orthodox community, but much of them will probably be voting for Felder.
  • SD-22: This seat is actually held by Republican Marty Golden, and it encompasses the south Brooklyn neighborhoods of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Manhattan Beach, Marine Park, and parts of Sheepshead Bay. There are two people running in the Democratic primary: Andrew Gounardes, who previously ran against Golden in 2012 and has the endorsement of various Democratic clubs, and Ross Barkan, a journalist who has the endorsement of the Daily News. Gounardes is fairly progressive (he supports NYHA and publicly funded state elections) but also too close to the party machine for my liking. IMO Barkan lacks charisma, but he's talked about more issues, like commercial rent control. I think Gounardes will win, but it might be close.
Nobody cares about the State Assembly because it's always reliably Democratic, but Nicole Malliatokis will be getting a Democrat (Adam Baumel) to face in the general. He probably won't win, though.

hekl yeah thanks for this update

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CaptainPsyko posted:

Except that there’s a solid dozen state senate primary challenges from the left around the state and none of them are imploding like Salazar. At some point the level of scrutiny stops being the problem.

How would you say salazar is imploding beyond what's prompted by the level of scrutiny

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
some spectacular local pamphleteering comin in on the eve of the votes

it repeats in Spanish on the back (the front in east Harlem)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

buddhanc posted:

Im,not really up on new York politics

What's with the massive succ population?

Bunch of cop loving whities who like strong labor protections or What

an entrenched set of machine politicians who actively rig elections in their favor

also cop loving whities, not even necessarily fans of labor

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

buddhanc posted:

Salazar up 4 points on real estate scum

BOY SHE BOUT TO DO IT

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
can someone fill me in on what a lieutenant governor does??

e never mind thanks wiki

Soon To Be Jumaane posted:

Official duties dictated to the Lieutenant Governor under the present New York Constitution are to serve as President of the State Senate, serve as Acting Governor in the absence of the Governor from the state or the disability of the Governor, or to become Governor in the event of the Governor's death, resignation or removal from office via impeachment. Additional statutory duties of the Lieutenant Governor are to serve on the New York Court for the Trial of Impeachments, the State Defense Council, and on the Board of Trustees of the College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mrmcd posted:

He looking awful bad right now too.

IDC blood for the blood god.

:black101: also JULIA's lead to 13 with 74% returns!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is excellent I am happy to take a demolition of the IDC for this race

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
teachout killin it upstate by discrete majorities of counties, there just ent enough people or margin

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
can someone refresh me as to how this can happen

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ hell yeah you know that's how you get things done is by never trying thanks Homer

Erie County by itself is gonna flip it UGH

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

anime was right posted:

holy poo poo a LOT of people voted in this primary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

EugeneJ posted:

Buffalo is a racist hellhole

makes me wonder if ther'es a similar effect to having an "ethnic-sounding" name on the ticket as it does when it's on a resume

fuckin disgusting

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yholy poo poo piss Alcantara goes down lmao I yelled at her in person a coupla months ago

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

buddhanc posted:

Can y'all gimme some particularly egregious stories about IDC peeps

Like altacara or Klein or whatev

Alcantara backed the Inwood Rezoning plan from the start like a smug pieceo f poo poo over the strident demands of the community she id pols herself as a member of

sure enough it passed in August and probably mmmm 4-digits worth of her constituents are gonna be homeless soon

she also blasted out a text earlier today suggesting polls closed at 7:30pm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

not too bad for a newcomer against a ridiculously entrenched incumbent

is a refrain i feell ike i'm hearing a lot this cycle

too bad we don't have that many left

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/kdewitt7/status/1040635362887049217

lmao

does...

what the gently caress haha

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Seyser Koze posted:

I've never heard that phrase without "on the Titanic" appended to it.

that's the thing, in the metaphor uh

Cuomo's the captain

and NY is the ol' ship goin down

in spite... of the progressives' effort to save it?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
SIROTA!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double post for unrelated: I just found a mailer from the Trump campaign in my spam folder to support Dan Donovan in Staten Island (NY11) against "liberal radical Max Rose". Should I send some money Max's way?

if you'd like, depends on your politics. dan Donovan is fuckin dumb and bad as hell

however while Liberal Radical Max Rose may be extremely liberal, a Radical he is not.

my buddy was running his primary campaign. both of them are all right dudes, but they're very much in the mold of a status quo democrat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

"Radical Liberal" in Staten Island probably means like he doesn't think you should say "moolie" in mixed company.

I'll actually expand on that as well: he is pretty good on several issues and when i pressed him on my personal single hot button of M4A by tying it into his personal experience and privilege of Tricare for life, he didn't hem or haw about it. he pretty candidly said that his vision would be a similar program available to every person in the country and he spent some time describing and denouncing how useless health insurance is in practice.

of course... the process has now consumed his issues page about it and he's trying to get at it via markets / "competition" which just straight up lol.

he's also disturbingly USA#1 so his foreign policy position is utter garbage.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
his websit ebeing more schizophrenic than most, is Sussman a valid vote for AG? he's not a cop.

also

GalacticAcid posted:

vote Yes on all three ballot props, howie hawkins for governor

regardless of your district

there's a whole shitload of unopposed judicial nominees and if I wasn't 70% sure I'll not make it another 2 years in this state I'd put myself out there just Because, although I don't know what sort of ballot access is required.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
doublepost cuz this rules lol

https://twitter.com/keegan_hamilton/status/1059422021187198976

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/andylocal/status/1059919791140548611

lmao force this loving rear end in a top hat out

this is one of those things where it's like i understand intellectually that things are totally hosed but it still makes me so fuckin mad every god drat time I'm reminded of the fact

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glambags posted:

Dan Donovan loses on Staten Island? Huge if true

yeah Max Rose was the Succ Dem dream for that district and I've posted this in two other threads now but I am very good friends with the guy who ran his primary campaign and it was excruciating watching him waffle and pander to the prevalent demographics

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LegionAreI posted:

For all the disappointment elsewhere (seriously, NY-27? You know he's going to jail, right?) looks like we got Faso out in NY-19! :toot:

hell yeah gently caress that guy and also delgado is on the owns side of Dems

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
She's so loving good at media holy crap

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

after rents blow up it'll be So Long! island city

so... 2 years ago?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She's a Congresswoman, you want people in the state legislature to pass some law barring it or otherwise make things hell enough for the Governor to make it impossible, like voting against the relevant budget item. Since this is Cuomo and Amazon there's a chance Republicans will come on board and it might have veto-proof majorities in both houses.

if her position is anything like what I understand Joe Crowley's evolved to be (part of it was just by seniority but still) then she'll have a biiiiiig sway with the city and state

one of our comrades works in city govt and spent weeks lookin like a ghost after that primary because it was such a bombshell

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

update:

https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1062754068312047616

good things happen when you chuck out IDC shitheads

hell yeah

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

They spelled "belie" wrong holy poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double posting because news:

https://twitter.com/NoIDCNY/status/1065488079031595008

I wasn't expecting the IDC to literally start dying off.

a very hearty lmao sorry not sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
must we