Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rural areas, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Erie county's racist sheriff who keeps the county jail staff afraid of forced overtime MIGHT lose to a black FBI agent

But yeah, we're not... we're not good over here

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Well... gently caress, I'm glad to hear all this

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

why do those guys caucus with the gop

So they can get into office on the backs of minorities and get donations from rich people

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
If the dems in suburbs around here don't run on "these fuckers raised your taxes" I'll die

The only people seeing a direct hit immediately are henrys in blue states

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If dems are running on fiscal responsibility how is that any better ?

It's not fiscal responsibility, it's that people who thought themselves the upper crust are just another part of the population having their wealth transferred upwards. If you're a democratic canidate in the red parts of NY, you can literally say "those fuckers raised your taxes for real" and it'll be true, to not bring that up is insanity.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cuomo didn't call special elections again.

I fuckin' hate that guy so muych

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Korthal posted:

Upstate NY Politics report:

Nothing is loving happening, it's Upstate NY. Oh, the town of Brighton has already used up its year's budget for road salt, but that's about all the big news I can report.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/14/i-dont-know-is-frequent-answer-as-sheriff-testifies-in-inmate-death-lawsuit/

quote:

Hudson asked whether mental health topics are covered during certain training programs.

"Yes," Howard said.

"What is your understanding of the mental health topics that are covered during their training?"

"I don't know," the sheriff responded.

"What's the basis for your understanding that mental health topics are covered?"

"I don't know."

"Have you ever seen any materials regarding the training of sheriff's office personnel on mental health topics?" Hudson asked the sheriff.

"Yes," Howard said.

"And what materials have you seen, sir?"

"I don't know."

Just won election

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't understand. you're upset that good students can start out where they belong now without stopping at a garbage tier school first?

No, he's worried that community colleges, which are already tight on funds, are being stressed even more. If you think CCs are lovely garbage for people on the wrong side of the meritocratic divide, then this shouldn't worry you.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I donno, Broome's got a point. 95% of the new buildings have been built to be empty, and NYC is quietly shuffling people it has failed away from the city instead of changing things. The wording is hosed up and shows that the real problem he's got with it is ungrateful moochers are coming in and taking their services, but it is kinda hosed up to just quietly send people upstate like they're the dogs we took to the vet who never came back. This isn't an agreement between governments, either, that's the issue. NYC is just sending them away from the city.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Don't you towns in other states that ship their homeless to New York though

No? I mean, maybe by lack of resources they go to cities, rural and suburban poverty is plagued by the fact that there's hardly anything for those people. But I'm pretty sure there aren't agreements set up to send needy families to NYC, especially when it's crossing counties.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If the city has a choice between providing some number of homeless people housing in the city, or can instead rent out that housing to wealthy people, and use the revenue to house twice as many homeless people in the cheaper suburbs, there's a pretty compelling case for helping more people. There is a huge opportunity cost to housing them in the city and NYC pays for it either way. I don't think the NYC government should need permission of a municipality to buy housing on the open market there and then use it for its intended purpose.

Letting rich cities buy up poorer areas to send their undesirables is not a good precedent. In fact, it's kinda hosed up

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I realize that living upstate without having to pay rent sounds a lot like a concentration camp to your average nyc resident but uhh, no, it's not.

It's just rent for one year, it's nothing else. They don't give them a job or anything. They have rent free living(and who knows what that covers, exactly. What utilities do they have to pay?), but are now in a position where services for the poor are much harder to come by.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Binghamton is the seat of Broome County, and yes, it's incredibly depressed in more ways than one. Endicott, a suburb, was once the home of IBM, and they left years ago. The first Dick's Sporting Goods is still in Binghamton but their headquarters aren't. So right there you've got tens of thousands of jobs that were once there that up and left. The only major places of employment left are the county government and the university. Long lines to get into food pantries are a common sight- when I lived downtown at grad school, I was a couple doors down from one. Downtown is a food dessert, you have to go a mile outside of downtown in order to get to a grocery store. Also, it's almost always raining or overcast because it's on the tail end of the lake effect.

So, if you want to create opportunity for homeless people, you've got the wrong place.

How hard is it to get around? A big issue I saw in Chautauqua county was loving GETTING places. Without a car, it was very very hard to even pick things up. People were hitchhiking to get to court dates, and this was in 2012.

That, BTW, is one of the reasons why it's harder to get aid in rural areas. There are services and lots of people trying very hard to help, but it's much harder to get to them, and much harder for them to find you. Even if you have a house, it is difficult(and expensive) to get to the places you need to go. This is nothing less than NYC shirking it's responsibility to its poor. They're not shipping them off to rich suburbs who get upset, they're sending them to a shell of a city to make themselves look better.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

building workers union is maybe gonna strike friday midnight if they dont get a new contract

rich people gonna have to haul their own trash outside cause garbagemen probably wont cross a picket line and other poo poo they could simply avoid if they paid them fairly

Would it be statewide?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

why

i hate this state. I hate this world I hate everything

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Hey by the way the dems in the race here are... pretty upset that Cuomo brought this up. The only one left supports medicare for all, legalization of marijuana with amnesty, and says stuff about holding drug companies to account for the fact they loving started the 2nd heroin epidemic. Cuomo butts in and says YEAH MY LT GOV. CAN PROBABLY WIN THERE instead of... supporting the candidate already there.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

“Is a guy who makes a rap album the kind of guy who lives here in rural New York and reflects our lifestyle and values?” said Mr. Benjamin, a longtime political science professor, adding that he personally did not consider rap music to be “real music.”

Like every SINGLE white kid now has tried to record a rap album

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It specifically says he's "playing the long game" which is hilarious because the judges ARE the long game

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wasn't that the guy that sent out like three different racist joke emails

He sent out so many he got thrown off a school board

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's totally legal to nominate someone who doesn't know they're running, apparently

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

whatis posted:

i'm in a pretty solid red town in collins' district and the polls this morning were dead. there were a handful of 20-somethings casting their ballots and that's it. i'd be shocked if mcmurray won, but he's been campaigning in person all over the area and has endeared himself to a lot of people that would otherwise normally never consider voting democrat.

fingers crossed

I'm in with the henrys in EA, and the polls were packed. I also see basically no collins signs anywhere, but there are a lot of McMurray/Molinaro yards. I'm gonna be surprised if nate wins too, but Collins is a scandal-ridden like... garbage candidate. Did you see the ad he put on TV and nowhere else that had a guy with a southern accent talking about "values?" He's only gotten where he is because this district was made for him and he never showed his face here so no one even knew who he was.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
McMurray(who ran on a platform of Medicare for All, Punish pharma for the opioid crisis, legalize marijuana and let people out of prison for marijuana crimes) is doing like... really well in the Hand-Picked to be conservative district he's running in. Like 55 to 42.

Collins IS being charged with Insider trading though

HA HA NOPE HE LOST

Jesus CHRIST

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Nov 7, 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Boy did the centrists pick a bad thing to fence sit on, they're gonna get it for not pushing weed

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

considering that the "centrists" you're talking about are mainly based in Long Island, no, they definitely won't "get it." the suburban mentality there is powerful and all of the LI Dems embody it (i know that i defended Thomas earlier ITT but at the end of the day, he's still the cream of the crap). only a handful of counties in the state wanted to opt out of legal weed and two of them were Nassau and Suffolk. they have another year to do it and do it right, but given their continued reluctance i wouldn't give it good odds

by the way, a special "gently caress you" to Diane Savino on this issue (among others). she was one of the Senate's loudest voices to expand the medicinal weed program and legalize it for recreational use, but when it wasn't included in the budget, she threw up her hands and gave up

Oh. Well gently caress

Been seeing and hearing a lotta "divers liscences for illegals but no WEED???" outta people, which makes me wonder a lot about how this didn't get through cause this isn't a very big political risk. I guess the calculus is way different than I thought.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

When it comes to weed, Peoples-Stokes and a lot of urban Democrats in the Assembly wanted stronger protections for people formerly incarcerated for weed-related charges, as well as some percentage of the money made to go back into communities that have historically been heavily prosecuted in the past. I'm gonna guess that the gap between them and the Senate was way too much to close in a couple of days. I guess they passed further decriminalization measures but who cares.

As for licenses? I assume they had more time to hash things out. The last-ditch legalization bill in both chambers was announced a couple of days ago, and this was probably introduced much earlier than that.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense and I'm not surprised there's sticking points there. More or less everyone wants legal weed, but addressing the systemic injustices carried out in banning it for as long as we have is a much bigger task.
I apologize for barging in here and saying uninformed things. Not every thread is the trump thread.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

whatis posted:

chris collins announced he's resigning and plans to plead guilty to pending charges

it's too bad the district will happily vote for whatever republican they choose to replace him with

It was... close last time

But yeah I can't wait for everyone here to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Hey why is Cuomo not signing a lot of stuff?