Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

get that OUT of my face posted:

huh, i guess they do want to waste time and resources into two unwinnable races. it's our funeral

sorry, NYC DSA, no takebacksies

I don't think it necessarily would take away resources, since it's a volunteer-member organization and people only really do what they want to do anyway. My concern is more that I don't think many people are all that excited about it, and therefore it'll be a wet fart of a campaign, which could be a bit of a reputation hit. That said, I'm not even all that worried about that, since we'll have a bunch of victories nationally at the same time we'd have this loss, so we'll probably still come out ahead with more publicity and another membership surge.

Plus, I mean, we're a big, decentralized national organization. We need to be resilient through sloppy or weak endorsements or we don't stand much long-term chance. If it's not NYC, some other chapter is making an imperfect endorsement. I think St Louis just had one they actually had to rescind, if that tells you anything, and they're still standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

the entire reason why my friend/your Queens comrade abstained was because of the boost to Salazar, even though she didn't go full yes because of Nixon and Williams as candidates. but you didn't hear it from me :ssh:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. That's not terrible reason, honestly, but I will say that I think a lot of people have a right to be annoyed give the way the delegate votes didn't adhere to the branch votes in some branches. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Have you been involved with the Salazar campaign? I think I saw there was a recent campaign mention of sex work decriminalization, possibly including a canvass, which is a pretty huge leftward shift of ~*the discourse*~ and really heartening to see.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

ftr i think endorsing was incredibly stupid, obviously

oh so endorsing would be much like your posting?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
jk ilu

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

these new Cuomo/Nixon polls are so depressing. why is she not getting more traction? is it just the obvious advantages of incumbency, or are people actually buying the bullshit “experience” argument, or what?

because no one in this racist state is willing to vote for the black woman smdh

wait, I mixed up my joke, I thought cuomo was behind in that whoops lol

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

I mean, it doesn't portray it as a slam dunk (which I'm an expert in by the way). I don't agree with the endorsement, but if it says it was after a long and heated (lol) debate, that's fair.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

I guess but I dislike how it jumps from quoting her on her advocacy for an endorsement, then jumps to quoting a “more skeptical faction based in North Brooklyn,” when in reality her own loving borough voted no. Just seems to elide the reality, imo

Honestly and annoyingly, I doubt the reporter gives a poo poo about the details. We can't expect them to get the specifics right. They really never will and we'll have to get used to it or we'll just always be mad

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

grah posted:

It's because Stand United currently has an iron grip on the union leadership, and they've decided that the best way to get good contracts is to kiss as much rear end as possible. It's infuriating and really dangerous for the union long term. But there isn't any credible opposition. Progressive Action exists but hasn't performed well outside of a few small divisions.

These were the leadership slates, I guess?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Schumer Update:

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1039641310838312960

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

let's stay focused on new york state and city politics and keep 2016 primary spergfests to the suck zone

true, let's get some maturity in here

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I voted...for the bad guys!!! :twisted:

THAT'S EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO SDGASPD'ASDAFS

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Anyone know the best site to watch the results come in?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I would trade Nixon, Williams, and Salazar for Teachout, honestly. AG is the most vital right now

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

freckle posted:

:ohdear: she's at ten percent

yeah but after i trade the nixon, williams, and salazar votes in, she'll take it

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/09/13/us/elections/results-new-york-primary-elections.html

^ in case anyone needs a link

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I'm hoping that a lot of James' name recognition is limited to the city, and Teachout picks up the momentum outside it

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
If Teachout comes from behind to win can we call it a Teacharound

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I'M LUSTING FOR A TEACHAROUND

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

Vote Howie Hawkins in the general

Peace

I actually may vote green for the first time in my life on this one

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
TEACHAROUND

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Is Maloney tight with Cuomo? I honestly don't know much about the guy. I was pretty focused on the James/Teachout aspect

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I like this map, because it just goes to show that the closer you get to Cuomo, the more you want him prosecuted

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

drat he sounds pragmatic as hell

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Well, looks like all those posts about how Peralta could eat my rear end finally paid off

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Supposedly, this is why Crowley resisted taking his name off the WFP line so hard when AOC won -- to help set precedent that it was illegal/against party rules to change it after the Dem nomination is locked up.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Keep in mind that unless the party composition of the Senate changes, the Republicans will still have (at least) Simcha Felder giving them a majority. So it's not enough that the former IDC members are mostly gone, some people need to win former Republican seats, and no Democrats must lose a seat, or overall equivalent.

This is true, but (using the democratic governor's primary race total votes cast, which is maybe imperfect) turnout just about tripled from 2014 to 2018 (important because they're midterm years). I'm optimistic going into November.

Anyway, my point is, vote Hawkins. Green Wave 2018.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

tbh I know it’s been less than a week since the election but I’d still have hoped to see more reflection from DSA members and DSA-adjacent leftists about her mendacity. I’m glad she won and I even canvassed for her on Election Day despite my qualms, but it doesn’t do us any good to dismiss any unfavorable reporting on politicians we support as smears

that said, absolutely nothing she’s done leads me to think that her post-college leftist activism has been anything but genuine

I can tell you that the various electoral politics related groups within NYC DSA have talked a lot internally about this and you can expect people to vet potentially candidates more independently in the future. If you're not hearing a lot about it, it's probably because nobody wants to undermine a victory. People have definitely been reflecting on it.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
hmm interesting take

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

he wants to say "fake news" so badly I can smell it

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

yeah, but placard abuse is the corruption version of littering: against the law, but so minor in the grand scheme of things that nobody gives a poo poo or ever will

fun aside: my friend not only disagreed with my comparison, he also said "small corruption leads to big corruption" and used the example of NYPD abusing parking placards. you know, the guys who use that exact justification to crack down on petty crime. :ironicat:

is your friend guiliani

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

btw Jumaane won the special election by a comfortable amount. i hope everybody itt wants some more electioneering because this is the first of up to four elections relating to public advocate. that's something i didn't actually know about until yesterday. politics doesn't stop

the most important election of our lifetime.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

textbook small business tyrant

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
orange and yellow seat cars are honestly my favorite. I used to get on early enough in the morning/far enough out in queens that I was able to get that corner seat up against the window like half the time, all the way to herald sq.

and then I would leave work at like 4:30 and get one on the way home. Got a lot of reading done. it killed

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/25/us/elections/results-queens-district-attorney-primary-election.html

lead is increasing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
i hope katz cries

peralta cried at the crowley "victory" party, which is funny to me