Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't think Pixie Sorceress Zephyr Teachout is gonna make it guys

Failed her saving throw :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

so can we say that nixon didn't run a great campaign yet or is it too soon

I went to a debate watch party at a bar organized by her campaign and it was filled with drunk screaming Cuomo haters, and I still thought "Jeeze I like her positions but she just seems some awkward teenager running for the local school board or something"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

honestly, the IDC getting got is all the good news I needed tonight. Salazar is gravy.

:same:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

:ughh:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

buddhanc posted:

Can y'all gimme some particularly egregious stories about IDC peeps

Like altacara or Klein or whatev

Google Michelle Obama Political Club.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Times officially :fork: Teachout for James.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I'm the unlabeled y axis

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Reposting from other thread.

https://twitter.com/norbitofficial/status/1364305996114325510

Andrew Yang, the candidate of stuy kids who 100% deserve their bullying.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

upstate Dems are basically republicans too embarrassed to hang out with the Carl Paladino Crew. hth

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Gothamist forgot to uncheck RSS on their drafts folder.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

He'd probably be worse that Bloomberg. Bloomberg was a fairly competent administrator, he just didn't give a poo poo about anything unless it was important to millionaires or the donor industries of Wall St and Real Estate.

Yang would just be an endless amount of reddit ideas guy bullshit. He lose half the city budget to some Musk level conman scheme within the first year.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Tulip posted:

If the legends from my office (Medicaid) are anything to go by, Bloomberg was a staggeringly incompetent administrator. It feels like 75% of the work we do is cleaning up messes he made, and fucker hasn't even been our boss for nearly a decade.

I mean yeah it could've been a total poo poo show behind the scenes for all I know. I just remember it being relatively drama free aside from him literally not giving a poo poo about anyone poor and ridiculing anyone who suggested we shouldt give a poo poo. Anecdotally career city govt functionaries seem to dislike DeBlasio way more the Bloomberg.

Also though there was that one total shitshow snowstorm where everything was hosed up for like three days because Bloomberg refused to spend money on hiring plows or buying salt because the end of the fiscal year was almost there. Just remembered that lmao.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every single communication from these people and their various unions convinces me that they're overpaid.

https://twitter.com/NYCPDDEA/status/1386812200774508547

Why was he "attacked" right as they were filming? Why does the guy seem in no hurry to run away? Why does the detective appear to be having a heart attack after a light tap on the head from a plastic rod?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

Stringer pushed back on Kim’s characterization as an unpaid intern, saying instead that she was a “peer” on the campaign and that they had a consensual relationship. “We had an on-and-off relationship over a few months. I was 40, and she was 31,” Stringer said.

So, uh, the best case scenario for Stringer here is he was a 40 year old dude sleeping with his workplace subordinates? That's, uh, not optimistic...

Edit: uuummm waaaaaaaaaaat??

quote:

Asked if Kim was the only campaign volunteer with whom he had a relationship, Stringer said, “To the best of my knowledge.”

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Apr 28, 2021

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://gothamist.com/news/scott-stringer-denies-sexual-abuse-accusations-mayoral-rivals-call-him-withdraw-race

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

But also he's annoying as gently caress.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

So am I reading this Morales water bill thing correctly that they made "Morales bribed a DEP official to fix her water bill" out of "Morales got shaken down by a corrupt DEP official" through the alchemy of the candidate being a progressive?

I don't even know what you are talking about but from your description it sounds adjacent to the "permit expediter" every Park Slope brownstone owner is hiring to get their million dollar renovations moving.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Complete rot from decades of one party rule. Plus, the leftist orgs pushing to elect better candidates have been focusing pretty exclusively on house seats, state legislature, and city council instead of mayor and citywide offices.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

It's not and this is weaponized IDPOL.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Okay, the Daily News response is kind of illuminating:
https://twitter.com/MayorsRace2021/status/1397284076835463171?s=20

It helps that these are bigger versions of the file. From the thumbnail, the caricature might not be that bad, but if you look at it at full size, it is in fact very bad. Note the "Normal" cartoon people on the right etc. It's a really incompetent caricature that has a bunch of stereotyped features, and it completely undermines the editorial purpose of the cartoon.

Do I think Yang's campaign is being opportunistic and hoping to take one of the more damning critiques of the campaign off the table? Sure. Do I buy the "tourist is a racial slur" angle? Absolutely not. Are the people responsible for loving this up the lovely caricaturist and the series of editors who let the lovely caricature through to print? Yes.

I glanced through his twitter feed and he has done that weird squished face with thin lines for eyes on non-Asian public figures too, but his art style is literally all over the map in terms of faces. The best case is he's an incompetent who walked right into the rake because of course people are going to immediately compare faces of the other people in the cartoon.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Shaun Donovan's campaign being propped up by his rich dad puts such a huge dweeb loser stink on him that I can't bring myself to rank him.

Also he was Obama's HUD secretary and had no idea what an actual home costs in the city (because again rich trust fund kid) and then after showing his rear end in the NYT kept emailing reporters like "Well AKSHULLY guys I meant average tax assessment I didn't understand the question that doesn't count ok."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also random question: For RCV does the 50%+1 line include ballots where all the ranked choices have been eliminated?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

haveblue posted:

A ballot which has no names remaining drops out and no longer affects the tallies. It's 50%+1 of all the ballots involved in that round of vote counting, so it's ballots that had that candidate's name as one of the 5.

Ok that's good to know because I guess it argues for not putting joke "gently caress it" candidates in 4 or 5 versus "this person seems to kinda suck but is still acceptable over some alternatives" because your ballot would be alive and raise the bar that terrible poo poo candidates like Adams or Yang would need to clear.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Yeah. Yeah... :smith:

What did Wiley do? All I'm finding is that she talked poo poo about Adams and some Murdochy hit pieces

Hair splitting and triangulation on whether a $1 billion budget cut is "defunding the police" or not. But also maybe getting squishy on police reform.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean if you think "defunding the police" means abolishing the police then yes her stated platform of ~10% budget cut for NYPD isn't "defunding the police". Trying to triangulate like that does have the stink surrender to it though.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Oh okay. It's the sort of thing that made me want to vote for Morales over her. I thought she like threw a salad comb at a rescue dog or something.

https://gothamist.com/news/dissent-threatens-implode-dianne-moraless-mayoral-campaign

quote:

That same afternoon, the organizers announced a work stoppage after the four women leading the unionization efforts were fired over email just prior to a staff meeting. Asked about the firings, Morales said she did not know who was leading the unionization efforts. “Those decisions were made independent of anything else,” she said.

quote:

Morales did not comment directly on the question of whether her staff was underpaid. “I was not directly overseeing salaries or the staff pattern. But when things were brought to my attention, I responded to them immediately.”

She also said she did not think the campaign could afford to provide health benefits, “You know, we got our matching funds a month ago. So that wasn’t something that we could afford to do, “ she said.

The CITY reported that the campaigns of mayoral candidates Maya Wiley, Shaun Donovan, Ray McGuire, Kathryn Garcia and Eric Adams all provide health benefits. Garcia and Donovan received matching funds at the same time as the Morales campaign. (Wiley and Adams received them earlier; McGuire is not getting public funds).

So this basically tells me 1) Morales' campaign is totally broke and 2) She is probably absolutely terrible at running any organization of more than like 15 people. It seems the lovely people in question did eventually get fired but after like 3 days of just absolute chaos on her campaign and all the most senior people leaving. The rest of the article is just her pitching excuses like "well I didn't know but once I knew I decided to do something" and "well we've had a lot of people join recently".

"Guys being charge of a campaign with like 80 random people you've never met is really hard okay? Please make me mayor."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Oh yeah that "want to vote for her" was firmly in the past tense. If you're running as the leftiest lefty and you get into a labor dispute with your team so you fire a bunch of them, you need to give a really good reason on the spot, and as far as I read this morning, she still hadn't really explained it beyond insisting that she supports the union. Whether or not I'd believe a sufficiently good explanation at this point, the messaging incompetence on display is De Blasioesque.

Yeah I mean it's plausible they got laid off because of the whole "there's no more money so y'all are part of the people getting cut" but then when a reporter asks questions to respond with "I have no idea why we fired those people in particular lol" is just... pretty bad.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

is there a guide for judicial elections? I hate that it's a thing we actually go out and vote for that has real consequences but it's just painfully hard to make an informed decision.

Look up what races you have and scan the bios or the one outlet covering the races. There's usually a couple shitheads candidates and one person who's okay with good experience and endorsed by a non-awful elected.

Judges are also states offices so no need to RCV which is a small mercy.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

In Training posted:

really curious who the Yang Gang voted 2nd. kathryn garcia might wind up winning lol

I said in the other thread unless there's a big Yang Gang --> Adams cohort, Adams is probably a lot weaker than he looks like tonight.

My hot take is there's a whole lotta chud thin blue line money on predictit tonight for the taking.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

lol Yang still did better than Stringer and Morales.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Nah, I feel similarly. Maybe this is a "I don't know anybody who voted for Richard Nixon" thing on my part, but I can't see tons of people putting Adams in lower ranks. He has less of a jump to 50+1, but it's still based on people who may not have ranked him at all.

I think Adams is in the strongest position (I mean yeah) but it's a 3 way race between Wiley, Garcia, and Adams at this point, and whoever is in the final ranking it will be <5%.

I also think that if you're anyone-but-Adams, Wiley in second is is bad because Garcia probably has more Adams than Wiley in her down ballot, while Wiley probably was WAY more Garcia than Adams in hers.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Haha ha ha yeah. Now do the Catholic Church!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/1407531845886042114

So were the Guardian Angels like Hezbollah except completely unarmed, all I know about them is an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia season 1 gag

Not really they were never that big or organized. They were always just random Queens and SI dudes cosplaying their Batman fantasies, hyped by the tabloids who could always sell "CRIME IS OUTTA CONTROL" stories. The few still doing it today are just sad boomer chuds who largely just hangout in subway stations trying to get people to take their fliers.

I wouldn't trust right wing twitter dad who is literally a National Review writer to have the pulse of who voters in Brooklyn and the Bronx think have "street cred".

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Hey here's an idea im gonna go for the job where all your real powers have been siphoned by the governor and you're just there to be hung from the rafters and shot at by a couple dozen different interest groups and sanitation dudes named Joe

https://twitter.com/WaltHickey/status/1407071637262979077
https://twitter.com/WaltHickey/status/1407071751280988164
https://twitter.com/WaltHickey/status/1407072569912614923

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I took $200 off those chud cop bootlickers by buying Adams at .88 on election night. :c00l:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Nyc discord goons...

https://twitter.com/JakeMHS/status/1412552339702095874

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Who's worse, Silwa or Adams?

Do you prefer the candidate advocating for unarmed men wandering the streets harassing minorities, or the candidate advocating for armed men wandering the streets harassing minorities?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Hey there Governor Hochul, happy first day of work this Tuesday. We all chipped in and got you a hurricane to flatten Long Island as a welcome gift. Completely clean slate there to do whatever you want.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Wow. Didn't think I'd see the day cspam is gleefully making GBS threads on a 63 year old man with difficulty keeping a pet due to an eviction stemming from his sudden unemployment. smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

I was told that too, but something needs to account for the massive discrepancy between city and state levels of blankness:
https://twitter.com/morganfmckay/status/1455744037244243969

the only other thing I can think of is that the measures were printed in English only

Also to make it worse:

There were two ballot sheets, and one had a back to fill out (the questions) and the other sheet had absolutely nothing, just a big white space.

I told everyone I issued ballots to about the front and back on the first sheet and to check the filled out everything, but poll workers were never given any instructions to be helpful in this way.

Also every ed/ad was issues a shrink wrapped package of trilingual booklets explaining all the questions in detail. However there were only about 25 of them in the single package we got, and it had a cover sheet explicitly instructing us to only give it out to the voters if they asked for it. There was also no place to display it on the table either, so, like, I have no idea how anyone would know this booklet existed so they could ask for it. I think a single person took one the whole day in my polling place.