Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

literally the worst company on the planet when it comes to naming their phones though

a current line up taken from their website. which phone is the "best"?:
  • Xperia 1 V
  • Xperia 5 IV
  • Xperia PRO-I
  • Xperia PRO
  • Xperia 1 III
  • Xperia 5 III
  • Xperia 1 IV

the Arabic number is the hierarchy: 1, then 5, then 10
the Roman numeral is the version III, then IV, then V
the 1 V is the “best” one, both in terms of specifications and in terms of actual devices

PRO was aimed at video professionals, PRO-I had a 1” camera sensor and was the successor to the PRO. the 1 V is somewhat of a successor to the PRO-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the naming scheme does indeed suck rear end though. “Xperia one five” is such a poo poo name

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Xperia Tactics was the best one, sorry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Branch Nvidian posted:

the Arabic number is the hierarchy: 1, then 5, then 10
the Roman numeral is the version III, then IV, then V
the 1 V is the “best” one, both in terms of specifications and in terms of actual devices

PRO was aimed at video professionals, PRO-I had a 1” camera sensor and was the successor to the PRO. the 1 V is somewhat of a successor to the PRO-I

yes but normies are not going to understand anything about this and you can't sell phones without selling to normal types

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

good news, sony actively doesn’t care about normal users anymore, and has started marketing their phones specifically at “creatives,” or just domestically in japan where people are used to weird rear end nonsensical names anyway

they’ve also started cutting back on the devices released in the US, and I think there’s a good chance they’ll leave this market entirely in another year or two

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh sure, to be honest i'm surprised they're still in the market now. they have enough cash to blow trying market things out though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/googles-pixel-storage-issue-fix-requires-developer-tools-and-a-terminal/

if the latest update completely broke your pixel phone, Google now has a solution

it involves

• enabling developer options on the phone (tap build number 7 times)
  • download and extract the sdk platform tools to a host computer
  • connect phone to host computer and set to the file transfer connection mode
  • open a terminal on the host computer, go to the platform tools folder, and type “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media.swcodec” and “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media”
  • reboot the phone
  • cross your fingers

small cost to be able to change my system font, isheep :smug:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
behead those who set their system font to Choco Cooky [sic]

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sony used to have a great small phone and now that they don’t they have no reason to continue making phones.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sony used to have a great small phone and now that they don’t they have no reason to continue making phones.

Why do people need big phones anyway?
Screen too small? Hold it closer. Buttons too small? Mash palm to order dialling wand

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I didn't even know Sony still made phones

I had a brilliant Sony candy bar phone like 20 years ago, just brilliant buttons for texting

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jabor posted:

Xperia Tactics was the best one, sorry

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best Sony Anroid phone was the Xperia XZ2 Compact

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/googles-pixel-storage-issue-fix-requires-developer-tools-and-a-terminal/

if the latest update completely broke your pixel phone, Google now has a solution

it involves

• enabling developer options on the phone (tap build number 7 times)
  • download and extract the sdk platform tools to a host computer
  • connect phone to host computer and set to the file transfer connection mode
  • open a terminal on the host computer, go to the platform tools folder, and type “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media.swcodec” and “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media”
  • reboot the phone
  • cross your fingers

behold the power of an operating system made out of pure Linux and Java

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

behold the power of an operating system made out of pure Linux and Java

wasnt that qnx

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anroid

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ann be roidin’ deez nutz!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Gemini wanted to replace Google assistant and the first thing I ask it to do is "resume podcast playback" and it says it can't so I asked it" why can Google assistant do it and you can't" and it said" because I'm a large language model" so I set Google assistant back as the default

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/what-apple-can-learn-about-ai

quote:

AI isn't some futuristic buzzword anymore. It's making our phones smarter, more helpful, and frankly, more fun. Artificial Intelligence can do things like filter your calls and automate your life, and Samsung's new Galaxy S24 takes it to another level with AI that helps you write and do amazing things with the camera. Like it or not, AI is now a phone feature that has to be inside every high-end model.

Apple knows this. According to rumors and leaks, iOS 18 will not only revamp the App Store, allowing third-party alternatives, but also introduce several new generative AI features and a Siri 2.0 powered by Large Language Models like Google Gemini or ChatGPT. This could help catch up to what we're seeing from Google and, more importantly, Samsung.

Apple's not doing this because it wants to do it. It has to do it. According to KGI Security's Ming-Chi Kuo, considered to be one of the most reliable voices when it comes to Apple's future, the lack of AI features means iPhone sales will decline by 10-15% in 2024. Meanwhile, those same features mean Samsung will sell more phones than last year

lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lmao I was going :jerkbag: the whole time until I got to that last part and actually laughed out loud

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

quote:

A new Siri or an AI-powered camera may not be enough to pull users away from Samsung or Google, but they will go a long way to keeping billions of people locked into Apple's ecosystem.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

lineageos docs posted:

TIP: Normally, adb will report Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report adb: failed to read command: Success

now that's quality. Here's hoping it's not a corrupted/partial transfer I guess...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

oneplus released another genshin impact anime themed phone and preorders sold out in minutes. say what you will about the quality of their devices, they know their user base

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think I'm on my 4th OnePlus phone and they do seem to have lost it a bit. my previous one was fine but the usb charge port would connect properly so I replaced the whole stupid phone and they did some ridiculous "replace battery capacity with charge speed" poo poo so now I genuinely get occasional battery anxiety

otoh that might be because I now stream music on it 5 hours a day

still, it works fine and was cheaper than others so all in all a solid B rating

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also Google are to back spamming their pixel adverts on YouTube and the music is so aggressively bad that it will discourage me from ever buying a Google phone so I guess advertising does work?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also Google are to back spamming their pixel adverts on YouTube and the music is so aggressively bad that it will discourage me from ever buying a Google phone so I guess advertising does work?

are they still using lovely ukelele strumming for their ad music?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

are they still using lovely ukelele strumming for their ad music?

no that would be better. It's this at about 1min in and just repeats it on a loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNng23DkIM

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol that sounds awful. admittedly i'm not a fan of blackpink, but that song especially i don't like.

also on the topic of pixel commercials, my mother didn't understand the pixel super bowl commercial until i explained it to her. "why does the phone keep saying two faces in frame? i don't get it?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPTZIFQoDQ

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

claiming that AI will "automate your life" sounds like a threat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah yeah bring it on but i think this is, finally, an android tablet that's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfLrSaxYyY

the video is awful tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a transflective lcd? wow, the greatest hits of the 90s and 2000s are back, baby!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

a transflective lcd? wow, the greatest hits of the 90s and 2000s are back, baby!

lol, i mean, done well i do think there's a market for a product like this. it's never going to be an ipad or even a kobo but it can probably net a tidy profit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are even some android tablets with e-ink displays.

unfortunately, they are still android tablets. surprisingly expensive android tablets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

there are even some android tablets with e-ink displays.

unfortunately, they are still android tablets. surprisingly expensive android tablets

yeah i bought one at auction for $2. never did anything with it but read books so its fine because the android was safely ignored.

by and large i don't think they're worthwhile. if i were rich id consider one of those huawei eink phones to have a pocket ebook reader but i'd hate to use one as an actual phone. e-ink is still just too slow.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lol, i mean, done well i do think there's a market for a product like this. it's never going to be an ipad or even a kobo but it can probably net a tidy profit

as evidenced by the fact my dad, who has a kindle, chooses to read books on his ipad i have to concur with this assessment

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

$800 is a huge ask though obviously

speakers probably suck, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the boox palma looks interesting but it’s clearly a second device and not a phone and a little pricy [$279] for a one trick pony