Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
and if this is an enviromental thing, those xeons and old amd cards that will run your game in the google datacenter will drain quite a bit more power, added to the power required to transmit your data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The last thing we need is to burn more carbon to power a xeon and gpu that were not designed and are ancient to run video games in today's environmental catastrophe, the "it won't heat my apartment in summer" is quite the outsourcing of your environmental waste off to someone else.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

~Coxy posted:

if we're really going to split infinitesimals about it then it's better to run the game in the DC where the power delivery and cooling is much more efficient, and the machine can have a higher utilisation.
Plus, depending on where the DC is located it is more likely to be running off clean energy and cooling.

no its not because those machines are using far more power than normal as they are running a windows to linux port that runs bad, on top of the network costs of taking the data to the customer, which are not minimal. Spotfy ran a study on this which details the non trivial electric costs of transporting their music around, its somewhere in the grey stadia thread.

Most datacenters except for a rare few run off dirty energies too, I don't understand why people want this technology so much.

If you really want it, there is better ones like psnow and xcloud, which actually gives you access to a bunch of games without having to buy them and funding a company that fires people that try to unionize or harvest your data.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Pinterest Mom posted:

it does

so far, destiny 2, samurai showdown, farming sim, two tomb raiders, and thumper have been "free" on the premium $10/month tier

"but wait, isn't destiny 2 free to play on other platforms"

yes

Some of those you ca't get them anymore as they are only free on their release month or w/e

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

saw this ad for an app on a website. seemed very Android:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kiss-of-war/id1465860096

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The_Franz posted:

i'd give it a try if i didn't need to buy another controller and some special chromecast

as is though, lol

you don't need to buy those anymore, nor you did before if you had a buddy pass. not to say the service isn't bad, but you can go and try it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I been using chredge on my pixel after chrome started running like absolute poo poo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google is bowing out of the AR stickers for Pixels.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/24/pixel-4a-playground-stickers/

Starting with the Pixel 4a, all future Pixels will no longer be able to use the Playground app and the functionality has been removed from the Camera app. The P4a can download the Playground app, but nothing will happen.

All previous Pixels before the 4a will still support Playground as well as the various LG and Motorola phones that got support last year.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I cancelled google fi and got a bill for $0 lol.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I work for an entity that uses gsuite because it's cheap. today we had an interview with a bunch of people over google meets that had to be recorded. No sweat - there is just a little button you press and it records the video stream and puts it in your drive. we've done this dozens of times

today, there was no button. meets had updated and there was no longer any way to record. IT just went "🤷‍♂️ yeah nobody can figure it out lol". we switched to zoom

a+ would goog again

those features were part of the premium gsuite tiers and google let regular gsuite use them for a few months due to lockdowns and covid-19 or something, they have removed those features from gsuite basic again unless you upgrade.

I am not sure removing them is going to get them more money than the bad rap they are getting over it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I tried youtube music for sometime when I had google play music and it made me like Spotify.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

bobbilljim posted:

youtube music search is either broken or purposefully not wanting you to listen to the "official" track

If you don't listen to the official one google doesn't have to pay licensing fees, cool life hacks!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I will only get a sony if sony releases another psvita/phone hybrid!11

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have noticed that my iphone does the same ask for passcode thing randomly out of the blue like my pixel does, you can indeed check uptime in an Iphone if you have an app like status lite or system stats.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
did your co-worker buy a $50 android phone or what

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i am trying a pixel 4a 5g and lmao this new gapp app SUCKS BAD

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
on my fullstack class 3 or 4 years ago we ended up building a monstrosity that used 500% more resources than just using a regular webserver.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

I had the same thought but we were forced to take the class lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My pixel 6 takes some good pictures, and

Sagebrush posted:

giant mega zooms really don't have a lot of use outside of taking pictures of birds or taking pictures of birds, if you get my meaning.

my slr lenses range from 24mm to 400mm which is a ~16x range and, aside from the occasional wildlife situation mentioned, i have never needed more than that. it's a camera, not a telescope

I wouldn't want much range on a lens for my sony mirrorless, you trade sharpness and quality for convenience, I have a hx400v that I took a cool picture of a cruising plane once as it goes to 52x but it also looks like poo poo at most ranges, and okay when at wide angle.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah but you _could_ use a nice full frame camera instead of a puny little pixel and get uh...

well, a bunch of color noise mostly

I have got some semi-good ones with my sony alpha but I need a equatorial mount for my camera as even 30 seconds is enough for it to start blurring.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I get lots of ads for Grammarly, life insurance and terminal cancer drugs, I hope google isn't predicting something

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I never had any troubles with Zelle with whatever bank I use, and it is 100% free? idk what people are talking about

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just keep both a latest pixel and iPhone and switch back and forth when bored lol. as long you don't use icloud for cloud storage it's as simple as turning one off and the other on.
also didn't know samsung still had a back button?? as the gestures on my 13 and p 6 are the same

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
awful.app is that bad!!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

i take my watch off when im going to be at the computer for a long time

same

btw you all can use the dell version of ms your phone on any non dell computer and text/get notifications from iPhone

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use a lot of google services (and i really ought to stop but that ship sailed a long time ago). i was thinking about getting into smart speakers and decided maybe it would be good to look at the android ecosystem given i use google apps and siri homepod doesn't work with most of those apps from what i can tell.

i thought - hey, maybe android is good now it's been around a long time. maybe if i stay away from gimmicky poo poo??? so i tried a decent spec phone that i picked out for my father in law to replace his phone from 2013 that's finally dying and it was still pretty bad. poo poo just stuttering on a stock phone with barely anything installed. they've had how long to fix anrdoid?? and it still sucks what the hell???

decent spec on androd doesn't really mean much, the two most polished are pixel>galaxy(the s version)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mediaphage posted:

wonder what the overlap is with liking elonglong

one is a car that kills you one is a phone that may run like poo poo, kinda different leagues lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Gentle Autist posted:

i find it amazing that people post in yospos where android is constantly and rightfully dunked on every second or third post but hey they still Love The Phone

mom I keep making fun of them and they won't go away!!!!!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
everyone I seen in norcal that has a tesla has an iPhone so according to the logic what does that mean??

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the gently caress, awful.app doesn't have search??? awful.apk even searches within thread. swapping the Sim back to my pixel 6 when I get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
home hvac iinstallers are dumb as bricks and normally only run the minimum required wires and leave the C and a bunch out.