Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the only good thing sarnsung did lmao

the nearest button to your thumb should be the common button, i.e. the back button

(sorry lefties)

this is customizable though i thought???

i helped someone setup their new android, so i didnt fiddle with menu long but i thought there was an option to set order of buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looooool

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

drat fool they were even if that is a pro show ref that av was :discourse:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

Oreo kernel hardening
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/08/hardening-kernel-in-android-oreo.html?m=1
summary:
KASLR, PAN, not dumb copyin/copyout, lock down init rw section.

it's great to see android get security features that the iOS kernel has had for years. and since android kernels don't get updated even in devices that get updates, no phone out there today will ever get these.

duh thats how you harden oreos; just leave them out on the counter for a while

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Weed goku posted:

girlfriends dad wont give up android because he is convinced people will think hes gay if he gets an iphone.

dude is almost 70 and looks like a hobo who knows the best spots to collect cans.

has he told you to get an iphone yet??

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dislike button posted:

i got a vizeo p65 c1 open box at best buy for $900. it doesnt have a tv tuner, they have to market it as a theater display or something. also there is no remote i run it via my ipad/iphone. this is needs suiting though as my yamaha receiver also has an app to control it with so i can do everything from my phone

its mounted on the wall above my predator x34 monitor. it looks nice and 4k / hdr is sweet, plus i can tell people ' actually i dont even own a tv :smug:' while being technically correct

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if its by way of your rear end then it easily passes the home size requirements :mmmhmm:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

your using the htc g1???

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

google doesn't do testing

just like the big boys *dons ms jacket and proceeds to push to prod after committing changes*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for sale: usb dongle, never used

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in the latest plot twist, my google keyboard now recommends autocorrect not for Myname Mysurname but for Myname Celebritysurnames

oh hai i upgraded your fam

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EL BROMANCE posted:

when you see an android listed as running v4, it is quite easy to presume it's a new handset in fairness.

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

“We were caught pretending we aren’t constantly recording everything, so now we’re disabling the privacy placebo and telling our products straight up: we’re always listening.”

the crane method

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tossed services and scrambled apps!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if you dont just use an apple tv and ask it to play stuff. the most i do is airplay live tv from my cable ios app because they of course wont go fully apple tv app for that even though most channels are apps anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it even all works on my cheapo kindle fire with some wonky default rom

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im the silent alarm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i've never understood this desire by android people to have nothing at all on their home screen

its something about the icons. i have tablets for three platforms and android is the only one with nothing beside a dock

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

this one was andy rubin cashing in on his name to get sick vc money

when someone milks their name for a flop can we call it

rubin one out?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

misfit was started by noted apple ceo john sculley and has, thus far, defied all odds and not been bought by fitbit so they should be perfect for someone that doesnt want mainstream support and product lifecycles

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

to his credit midfit make a coke can color version of their first product so i guess sculley can claim hes worked with both sides of the industry

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

i spend 90% of my waking life pawing at this phone, of course i need papyrus as the system font

please

comic sans is the only font to bring whimsy to this droll world and i need it everywhere in my life

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/comic-sans-everything/oaehjhfpohkdjkpcdbblepomnflojfli?hl=en

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

android should ship with an app that just shows train videos and nothing else

youtube for kids category thomas and friends

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

um. have you ever heard it said aloud?

i work in dev so ive heard gently caress said several times a day

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

no, they would have figured out a way to go out of business no matter what

nah itd be palmos 5.9.9 with parallax wallpapers and itd only work with low framerate on the newest devices

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the android blob cat emojis are really ugly. I dunno what they look like in 8 because, predictably, my phone will probably never see it

never say never with the magic of xda forums, you too can have hoppyfrogxx720premiums custom aosp build with special prebundled adware root managers android 8.1 (running the 5 kernel)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

drat too long for a thread title

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tag urself

i'm the icon that appears to be the international space station

im the no phone and mystery wifi despite being on wifi and having 4g

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so many lols

a trailer is a thrifty way to live but you never find thrifty people living in trailers

aside from johnny my experiences with trailers involve horders and the mentally unwell trying to convince me that everything is fine and normal so theres a good range of choices

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

indexing my songs into a single searchable database ruins my ~*music listening experience*~

tbh musicbrainz existed 10 years ago so tagging without reordering folders has been a thing forever so it makes everything about this double lols

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

do you have a drawer in your kitchen full of random thingamabobs? a space to keep accessories for i-can't-remembers?

well here is your newest addition

literally no other way to design this anyway!

im the heat vent that vents right to the loving phone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

to me the gold standard for lovely vehicle branding consumers will always be harley davidson people. i tried looking for an HD-branded android phone, and amazingly I couldn’t find one. :/

boomers dont use those phones theyre full of millennials and twitters! now give em a good leases handset from bell and the open road and theres your market mate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wait of course there was a harley davidson smartphone and of course it ran windows:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Get-Your-Harley-Davidson-Smartphone-with-Windows-Phone-8-1-for-Just-250-325-458043.shtml

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

given my personal experience i had a feeling it wasn’t samsung

i was ready to be impressed that it was samsung but lol

President Beep posted:

in a fit of stupidity, i bought a galaxy tab 7+ less than a year after release. it shipped with 3.0, and they FINALLY pushed out an update to 4.0 like 1.5 years later. by that time, samsung had already ADD’d their way off to another 7 inch model, and support for mine was dropped like a hot potato. it was enough to make me swear off android indefinitely.

meanwhile chunky cheap kindle fires get updates for years. its literally impressive sammy does such a poor job

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah samsung impressed me in disappointing ways twice so what???

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*shifts eyes concerningly* 'so uh, haha, what if i wanted a phone that was hard to uh, haha, access or have backups of? haha jk jk but really, nobody would know i had it? i just want less clouds, or whatever but like from some other TOTALLY NORMAL PERSON who would give me trustable software to do NORMAL PERSON THINGS with'

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

they've been pushing a press release around that touts android being as secure as ios

from what press? north koreas?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Boiled Water posted:

idiot nerd reasons and only that

possibly it’s for the two people who use their anroid phones as desktop replacements

at best i was at a research conference and they gave out thumb drives with papers and materials for every talk, as well as online. the rush to wifi to beat everyone for access was insane because being an international conference it was about 10gb of videos and pdfs. the only time a crappy windows tablet and a usb adapter was worth the effort ever and even then it was like ehh i guess ill do this so i can preview the day

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

that’s cool. the series finale of the first run was a real bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i guess u could say hes 'bad [with] dates'