Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

against all odds we've found something worse than android in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

west of loathing is good
considering what destiny looks like on stadia, it’s about the max that it can handle.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i used a pixel slate and it was one of the most baffling devices i've ever laid my hands on. there was no way to bring up youtube controls without pausing the video because (surprise) the youtube web interface is not designed around not having the ability to hover, and scrolling was borderline broken making it unusable.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

so when they kill play music, will there be a way to play offline music on your telephone ootb?

yt music supports on-device music (in the dumbest way possible, totally segregated from any streaming library you establish, but it does)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ice cream sandwich

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sniep posted:

nobody said the letters tho you cant just say the words without there being the letters

my bad

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Management posted:

have android users internalized the fact that their cpu specs are crushed by crApple every year?
as surprising as it sounds because lol qualcomm, that's not the case anymore at least with benchmarks

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

iphones are still faster in single-core, but yeah, they've caught up in multi-core, though the the qualcomms need two more cores to do it (and cost three times as much as an SE lmao)

wouldn't be android if it wasn't brute force!!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Management posted:

the iPhone X is almost 3 years old and is destroying every android. I was told in this very thread that android chips are competitive now.
no, literally the only thing qualcomm isn't as big an embarrassment in is cpu performance (which is more or less what was said) and it's probably more owed to the a13 not actually being a huge jump over the last gen. gpu, power consumption, etc are all still a mess because it's qualcomm we're talking about.

also here's a fun quote from the gaming phone review:

anandtech posted:

The regular non-gaming Snapdragon 865 phone was just cooler than the ROG Phone III, and was able to maintain higher performance over prolonged periods of time than the ASUS device

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's making fun of anroids because they're obsessed with specs and benchmarks and overclocking phones while comparing everything to cRapple isheep

but the iPhone is both cheaper and faster most of the time and you don't even have to get a special case with a fan in it or whatever

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

does android awful have macinyos and winpos 95 themes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

pixel 3 generation was actually pretty good - reasonable hardware, price and not too big, don't know why they deviated from that.

people lost their mind over the notch. i would say “a multitude of assorted software and hardware issues” but that’s par for the course wrt google hardware so.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Imagine paying a kilodollar+ for a phone which not only has phone app ads but also slaps them on exported photos.

Android, :lol:

i think that’s a sub $200 phone so only the poors get camera ads i guess

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

fair although my needs are pretty limited. i’d like a two page e reader tbh and not two columns with a ton of margins.
that’s not a need, and you can get that with nearly any tablet in landscape mode.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it’s a security thing, at least on an iphone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

who the hell wants a removable battery at this point, there's no way that isn't a smaller cell than what manufacturers fit in there anyway. phones can last more than a day with relative ease anyway.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sb hermit posted:

one great thing about the pandemic is that I'm not worried about running down the battery for my phone because I'm always indoors

one bad thing about the pandemic is that I have the bad habit of running down my battery with endless youtube videos and now my battery capacity is total crap.

so a removable battery would certainly help extend the life of this phone by at least another year.

how often are you running your battery down that you've absolutely hosed it in the span of a year?? jesus dude

(also you can get batteries replaced for relatively cheap on most phones??)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I mean, it's still rigid

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

would

honestly i know im a dumb nerd but i still kind of want a large curved wrist mounted sort of thing

surprise, samsung had you covered 7 years ago

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

yeah that was just a watch - and a samsung watch from seven years ago, i mean, lol - not something with a display that was ever usable for much more than time and some notifications. their curved fitness trackers / glorified step counters were pretty cool, though.

it had a sim slot and could make calls, send texts, etc without needing to be associated with a phone! i mean, it still sucked because lol of course it did

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

this isn’t really saying much but: samsung’s watches are 10x better than anything wearos has ever produced
also samsung kinda was feuding with google for a while but they’ve essentially made up over the last few years, i think they both bonded over realizing they produce slightly different shades of garbage

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

excuse me its $1800

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The_Franz posted:

does stadia even work with any living room hardware besides that one bespoke chromecast yet? the whole thing with decoupling games from the hardware doesn't work when the client isn't actually compatible with anything

yeah, I think they eventually released support for all chromecasts? and then promptly discontinued those, and released a new one that didn’t support stadia at all out of the box lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I m assuming the triforce and Windows logos aren't theirs

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

their current venture is a blockchain phone