Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

il serpente cosmico posted:

Digital Foundry has a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw

There's lot of interesting stuff in there. Developing a version it isn't necessarily as simple as running a PC version of a game on their servers (though that should theoretically be possible); their dedicated hardware is designed to work in concert, and the rendering path will need to take into account that multiple AMD GPUs can assist in rendering, as well as multiple physical CPUs, to get the most out of it.

Single-threaded CPU performance also doesn't sound all that great (2.7ghz clock speed), which makes me wonder about the 120FPS they are promising for the future.

They do an input latency test, and on an optimal internet connection it is on par with an Xbox One X being played locally. On a not-great internet connection, the number increases, but not a terrible amount. Their test game is only running at 30FPS, though, and the imagine quality is worse, which you can see right away.

this was all on some sort of "google network connection" so not a real world example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwW5e61nHQ

lol @ the crease

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
lol sarnsung

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1118575264026333185

https://twitter.com/stevekovach/status/1118576231379865601

https://twitter.com/backlon/status/1118573836226658304

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/07/pixel-3a-everything-new-different-or-removed-compared-to-the-pixel-3-and-3-xl/

Here's some changes from the 3as to the normal 3s.

New:
- Google added the headphone jack back to the 3a/3a XL because they believe that people who can't afford $600+ phones also can't afford Bluetooth headphones. So the Pixel 4 most likely will not have a headphone jack.

(EDIT: I had to quote this because that just seems dense as gently caress but...
)

- Time Lapse mode is new for Pixel devices and will be on all Pixels (1, 2, and 3) via OTA later but it debuts on the Pixel 3as first. You can do 5x, 10x, 30x, or 120x the original speed at 30 FPS.

Different than Pixel 3:
- Processor is slower and not as capable as the Pixel 3's.The GPU is also slower. If you play Fortnite, for example, it'll run at 20 FPS max. Touch latency and scrolling isn't very smooth either.

- Display is not Gorilla Glass and has a lower resolution. It uses Dragontrail Glass.

- The body is basically plastic.

- The speakers are not front-facing.

- Both of the 3as only have 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. No 128GB.

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- Unlimited original Google Photo uploads
- Wide Angle Selfie Camera
- No longer waterproof (no IP rating)
- No headphones in box.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

is it updated at the same time as firefox? i've heard it gets security updates a lot slower which is no bueno

It is as you say, a lot slower.

Don't use waterfox, use an esr release of firefox if you can't stand updates

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

i dont even get ads in actual apps like Waze. suck it chump

...or you could've just used blokada which doesn't require root

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

mod saas posted:

any recommendations for a dirt cheap android (e: that still has play store) that i can use for awful.apk and vpn/ssh to my home network? it'll never be used for calls and will only be used on wifi. looking to replace my galaxy s5 before it dies completely -- it was my main phone until last year and now it's just my goofing off device

any of the android one phones will serve this purpose

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
that was a bad conference

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

its attractive to me. you can play pc games and you dont need to buy a pc that costs 1500 bucks or whatever and is big ugly loud and uses a ton of power

Google needs more rubes like you for stadia to succeed

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Plank Walker posted:

dogs can have a little X-Fi experience, as a treat

in before sagebrush comes to pedantify us to death

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Gpay does well here (India), but the new update definitely made it perform worse. Contactless cards and machines are a rarity here so this makes up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It'll need to be active for a bit before you can get rid of it, or the credits will stop applying.

Technically it may have already stopped after the Sim swap.