Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I haven't run into anything I don't like about teams. way better than skype

The UK kind of sucks and is ugly but yeah it generally works ok at least

e: I meant UI but that works too so I'm leaving it

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

the article raises the question of "why?"

they have no advantage in any sense over anyone else competing in the space and google has no experience or interest in providing gaming products. it was a half-baked idea they completely failed to execute on, so why keep it around at all?
They probably really thought that being good at cloud will translate to gaming. As they article expains, it doesn't.

But don't worry, they'll kill it off soon enough. And then come up with a nother game streaming service in a year or two that will also fail.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 16, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

it just keeps happening. across every market segment they stumble in to.

remember sidewalk labs? remember google fibre? remember the acquisitions of motorola and htc to build hardware that has never seen the light of day?
Bostom Dynamics. Like what did they think building advanced robots was going to be like?

They're still in denial about Waymo probably.

:lmao:

I was sure there had to be a Stadia messenger too (never used it) and of coure there it is. Time for Ron to update the article!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Uhhh are you talking about Android browsers? Because then try Samsung's, it has addins like AdBlock to make internet usable.

The desktop Firefox works fine for me still. Otherwise I'd second Vivaldi out of the chromium stuff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

it is the thread for it. when i have to use android i just gave in and chomed
That's what I thought but was confused by the Edge recommendation, I had no idea they have it for android now too, holy poo poo. I mean it's still chrome though so

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

anroid users: just have the latest and greatest model of non-anroid phone always on standby when you get tired of your piece of poo poo phone being a piece of poo poo
I used to have the OPO and a company iPhone 6 at the same time. Threw the latter in the trash where it belongs the moment it was depreciated.

Android is a piece of poo poo but the only thing ios has on it is not selling out your data.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks vaguely cyberpunk or something but the always-on display on my Note is about infinitely times actually more useful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

google: dead pixels

I thought that was covered by the warranty

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Google quit making tablets in 2015, came back for Chrome OS tablets in 2018, then quit for another three years, and now it's planning to launch a new Android tablet in 2023. Surely, we'll get another Google laptop someday, but we'll just have to wait a few more years.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/google-hardware-reportedly-quits-the-laptop-market/

I completely forgot about their tablet plans. What are the chances they get shitcanned before one even comes out?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1552989433590214656

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not the smallest, there's a 2.5" one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001452960369.html

I'm considering getting one (or probably the XS12 which is slightly larger but way better) as a backup that I could use for traveling, because smashing the screen on the S22 Ultra really loving sucks, as it turns out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

honestly, samsung's biggest sin is insisting that they need to put their own version of every app alongside the stock ones google requires be included on an android phone, so you end up with two browsers, two email apps, two contacts, etc.

Yes google really should remove all that junk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

???

they have played us for absolute fools

dotslash?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol scroogled again

Lol yes I ran into this exactly just recently. I think my second attempt was also reserved, not sure if I tried "Trips" or something similar

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

speaking of bad software… a bug in pixel phones for the last 5 years has been including the full image data in files cropped by the pixel phone’s image markup tool. in many cases the original image can be recovered from these.

https://twitter.com/itssimontime/status/1636857478263750656

Lmao so nobody noticed that the cropped files are the same size as the original in 5 years?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plot twist: apparently Google had it fixed for two years before pushing it out, from an Arstechnica comment:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-pixel-bug-lets-you-uncrop-the-last-four-years-of-screenshots/?comments=1&comments-page=1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-assistant-might-be-doomed-division-reorganizes-to-focus-on-bard/?comments=1&comments-page=1

I'm guessing it'll last another two years in some form?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm still struggling to understand what it is that a phone from 2023 can do that a phone from 2017 can't

The zoom lens on the s22 is the only worthwhile change from my previous Note9

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or you can just do it directly in the Samsung Gallery app if you have a decent phone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

The line/gradient up along the crease looks just like the wear mark on every single foldable, so what's the difference?

It's not about the crease, there's a part of the OLED panel that's not covered by anything and then the flat bezels mean that anything in that area will get mashed into the screen:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/06/rip-to-my-pixel-fold-dead-after-four-days/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Foldable screens are such a super complicated, brittle, and expensive solution to a problem nobody has.

I have a problem trying to fit a tablet-sized screen into a compact form-factor. Foldable screens solve it. Google attempt just sucks apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

no one needs to walk around with a tablet-sized screen in their pocket, hth

Ok I can agree with that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

the fact that the economics of folding phones means one can purchase a good phone and a good tablet for several hundred dollars less should have made them a non-starter but people just want to make it happen
But I don't want a stupid tablet as a separate thing to carry around. Which is why I don't have one now.

If I'm carrying a bag, I'll just take my laptop. If not, it would be good to have a larger screen sometimes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Apple needs a foldable iPhone soon or iPhones won't be worth buying

It never was tbh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather not have to interact with any mush-brained ios users so this works for me too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also because the iphone is garbage as well.

It's cool and good to dunk on google for being a bunch of incompetent morons but I've had an iphone before and it was even more frustrating to use.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i've seen literal infants navigate an ios device, so i don't know what to tell you

The iPhone is made for the mentally 5-year olds, yes, I think we're in agreement here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

so whats your excuse
that I'm not a frog

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not Andoird strictly speaking but gmail now has emoji responses, which is something we all really missed :toot:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/10/gmail-unleashes-email-emoji-reactions-onto-an-unsuspecting-world/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

i presume this results in one character spam in normal clients

👍

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Assepoester posted:

They tried to get into VR. It didn't go so well.

HTC was already dying before that sadly. I've had one of their WM phones and the Mk1 Desire and both were good but I think they just got hosed the way of most Android OEMs that are not Samsung due to millions of budget headset earing the market and no real way to differentiate themselves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

coke posted:

not really, for ios 15.4.1 and below you can install dopamine for a15 and lower cpus and then do an unthered jailbreak through sideloading the gta car tracker app and get the trollstore working

also remember to save all of the the shsh blobs so you can do mitm replay attack when you want to reinstall older version of ios even if you are not upgrading yet

and then you can install anything you want on ios and not even using their ios app store
Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

someone is doing the stuff you have to do to get android phones usable, but on iphone for some reason.
To make the iPhone unusable I guess.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

jesus loving christ google, could you actually make this poo poo any worse if you tried?

for a start, why can't your garbage photos app resize images, something I'm pretty sure I did as an undergrad "intro to MATLAB" course in 2002, but the play store search now has sponsored, recommended, more results, an advert for some poo poo, then recommended again, then more results again

just look at this trash (my screen is on), it's even given the same apps multiple times

also one of these app icons looks like a floppy dong lol
Just use the Samsung gallery/editor it had the resize function built in

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"fix your product by installing software from Samsung" these are the words of the utterly deranged

The alternative is software by google sooo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Steve is rolling in his grave

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah well maybe the technology hasn't advanced enough to implement this yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thankfully you can run Windows on your phone now.

No, not the crippled mobile one either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvnpFCcZeA