Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
samsung begbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Andy Rubin... Andy-roid... how did I never put that together?

anyway, the market for high end smartphones is now:
iPhone - only one of these that runs a good OS and has the best hardware. also has the best apps and doesn't send all of your personal information to the internet.
Samsung whatever - best android hardware, the most garbage os and will never get updated. most likely to be supported by app makers. also most likely to burn your house down.
pixel - cheap garbage hardware at a premium price because it's the least bad android OS and most likely to get updated. sales: approximately zero.
essential - looks like a nice premium case and display, better hardware than pixel, same os strategy.

so I guess essential is going after the coveted pixel market of essentially zero sales.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
headphone jacks are dead. deal with it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BONGHITZ posted:

i hope people can stop fighting wars now that we are in the future

we are living in the worst possible future

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

it's true. by the end of next year there won't be a single high end phone on the market with a headphone jack. poverty tier products will still have them for years like lovely laptops had vga ports

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dislike button posted:

microsoft bought the company, destroyed it, and laid everyone off. lol

first Microsoft sent a Trojan horse into Nokia to become the CEO, wipe out their Linux projects (which were admittedly bad) and then sell the company to them at a discounted price.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
are you ready for a samsung galaxy note event motherfuckers?

because you're getting one! today!!

how big will the screen be?
what stupid gimmick will they add only to abandon next year??
bixby???

get hype!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

ive got to ask then how is it that the promotion committee came to value clock size changes? like when youre in front of the career tribunal why arent results or necessity taken into account?

my absolute favorite part of this forum is learning the intracacies of the weird dysfunctions in corporate cultures

the answer is that android users get bored with consistency and reliability. they prefer to see constant churn of UI changes because it makes upgrades more exciting. they think the OS is an end in and of itself, not a means for getting things done.

we forget now, but there was a time when "widgets" were considered essential components of your android desktop. clock is the only widget that wasn't completely idiotic. hence four clock android screenshots.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
looks like google got tired of people talking about ARkit

https://twitter.com/davey_burke/status/902546538169118720

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

truly innovative in leaking all their customers' data before they even release their phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Oreo kernel hardening
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/08/hardening-kernel-in-android-oreo.html?m=1
summary:
KASLR, PAN, not dumb copyin/copyout, lock down init rw section.

it's great to see android get security features that the iOS kernel has had for years. and since android kernels don't get updated even in devices that get updates, no phone out there today will ever get these.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my new television has android so that means it's a tremendously laggy piece of poo poo that'll drop frames from what I'm watching if I hit any of the menu buttons. also the volume slider takes an eternity to respond.

you should return it to the store and get your money back.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

lg uses webos, the best mobile platform ever created

sony is pretty android heavy though

pretend I posted an image of a $7000 lg oled tv showing a low resolution blurry webos ui on top of a 4k picture

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I only use my tv as a dumb display because smart tvs suck.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

never spend more than $500 on any item smaller than a home

android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at believing digitimes rumors

qirex posted:

maybe nobody who was there 5 years ago is still on the team?

well, Google's head of hardware is a Motorola guy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google doesn't do testing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Currently on an OG moto x which spontaneously restarts roughly once a day or so, and whose wifi doesn't function at all unless 5ghz is disabled (took a lot of trial and error to figure that out).

Every so often itll get into a state where itll only connect on 3g until ive given it a kick by enabling and disabling airplane mode. Similar story with the (2.4ghz) wifi deciding to not connect to anything until ive given that a kick as well

Forgot to set it into airplane mode during a three hour hike today and it ate through 40% of its battery

Basically it needs constant babying to get anything to function

Never been on anything but stock android

you should get a good phone instead

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

lol, so that oreo problem where it eats your data even in wifi turned out to be that they left a dev option turned on in the production package. the recommended fix is to enable the dev options menu and then disable dev options.

theyre never gonna patch that poo poo so queue a million normies breaking their phones loving around with the dev options.

lmao this is some amateur level poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

oh good now we can have two mutually incompatible standards for wired headphones. make sure you buy the android compatible ones, not the iphone ones!

lol at wired headphones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
these are all great arguments. you should definitely keep debating headphone jacks and fighting the inevitable wireless future.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

latvia is the weirdest second world country

I don't know much about Latvia but there's some pretty strong competition in that category

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

bring back headphone jacks and required multicolor leds google

also sd card slots, removable batteries, and flash.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Samsung's cores are basically "optimized" arm cores. they take the stock ARM designs and tweak them a little. they've never been a player in the ISA development process like apple, Qualcomm, AMD, and Nvidia have been, which is something you would expect from someone doing their own microarchitecure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also from anything I've heard working at Samsung is awful but you can't say anything about it because of Korean pride.

I've an engineer from Samsung Semiconductor ask me to relay messages to Samsung Display because they literally can't communicate internally.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

speaking of nvidia did they make any phones yet?

nvidia can't make a chip that doesn't melt through the customer's hand and tunnel through the earth's crust if used without active cooling. they've given up on making mobile chips.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Midjack posted:

bill gates just switched to anroid

i'm not sure what to think about this development

he literally so bitter at apple that he's spiting himself by using a terrible phone. this is a guy who forbade his kids from having an iPod and tried to stop his wife from using an iPhone but she told him to piss off.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still don't understand how MS managed to have some actual success with the xbox brand. it's like the single new consumer product/line of theirs in decades that they didn't mismanage into oblivion

when you say success, do you mean not counting all of the billions they poured into generations of Xbox that lost money, RROD replacements, HD-DVD, Kinect, and the whole Xbox to control your media center debacle?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Xbox is in no way a success. it is a huge financial failure and Microsoft spent years of creative accounting trying to hide the losses.

the entire Steve Ballmer era at Microsoft has been one gigantic rolling disaster, propped up by windows and office being endless money fountains. the new guy seems to be doing much better in at least not loving up as much as ballmer did. I bet we will never see another real Xbox.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

the essential phone by andy rubin has sold approximately 5000 units since launch. very surprising that android people don't want to spend iphone money on a phone!

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/essential-has-sold-just-5-000-phones-since-launch-baystreet

anyone who wanted one of these got it online. the sprint sales are basically random customers that were pushed by some salesman to buy it.

still very bad though. I wonder what the sell in was.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EL BROMANCE posted:

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

android has so many loving layers that it takes forever to get anything done. but don't worry, google is solving that by adding more layers in oreo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

because qualcomm and (to a lesser extent) samsung are loving trash

like samsung is inventing their own garbage poo poo and fast eMMC or whatever for their high-end phones. apple just uses PCIe and NVMe

emmc is garbage and Apple never used it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

they're called pixels becuase when you see one you turn 360 degrees and pick another phone

speaking of which, google has an announcement tomorrow morning, so don't waste your pixel laughs today.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

evidently some of the lineup got spoilered by loving walmart

google's new partner in the fight against amazon really coming through here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Smythe”" post="“477087697”"]
Google is generous with cords and dongles. With my 6P I got 2 good rear end usb c cables (c to c with the super charger wall wart) and an a to c. Then with my Fi kit I got a cool very short a to c cable. Bravo to Google! 🎉
[/quote]

pixel 2 does not include headphones of any kind

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I applaud google for their courage

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
~=my waif=~ is always complaining about not having pockets because she likes pockets, I guess. seems reasonable to me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
im pretty sure the google thread is haunted so I'm moving this post here.

The Management posted:

hey guess what, google home mini listens to every sound in your house and sends all of it to google, where it is saved.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

one thing the gmail app doesn't have: combined inbox with non-Google email accounts. dealbreaker

another thing it doesn’t have: a good user interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use gmail to get notifications for my gmail accounts so I can know to open Mail