Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

BONGHITZ posted:

I want things to just work

TRUMP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm touching android phones today and holy poo poo these are garbage

oh yeah you'd think they would have gotten better over time but they didn't

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

THC posted:

the latest samsung ones are actually not as irredeemably awful as their predecessors, lol. too bad about that whole battery explosion thing

OK they improved a little but they're still pretty bad

I mean a battery explosions as a feature is pretty rad I must admit

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

rofl no headphones jack or water resistance or stereo speakers

such courage

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

maybe essential will make a headphone jack module

nah they'll just emulate iPhone some more and make it a lovely dongle cause apple did it so should we

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Silver Alicorn posted:

imageine if iPhone made phones out of luxury materials like hardwood, marble, ivory

they would be amazingly cool and good

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

rofl yeah lemme sand this phone down real quick...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

on the other hand, what does supported actually mean in the android world. 'acknowledge it exists but nothing works'?

p much

except that's what it means for everything with android

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blue Train posted:

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

ROFL

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blue Train posted:

Essential hosed up and sent a bunch of its customers drivers licenses to each other

ROFL

how hard is it to put your customers emails in the bcc field, especially when you expect them to reply??? like asking for a drivers license for a phone via email is bad enough but how do you gently caress up just sending the email itself???

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

or, this idea is pretty "out there", but hear me out, what if their automated e-mail system individually e-mailed customers to make sure this couldn't happen?

nah let's just shove all their emails into the cc field and take the afternoon off, its not like theyre sending us sensitive information or anything

holy lol if I was even remotely interested in preordering that phone, I certainly wouldn't be now, can't imagine how hosed up the phone is going to be if this is their approach to verifying preorders

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

wonder who will be next, will it be huawei??

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sleepwalkers posted:

also that warning shows up even when your not using headphones, its just a general alert 'hey you turned the volume up past 75%'

*goes outside* congratulations on going outside! :toot:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

rumor is, the pixel 2 will have no headphone jack :laffo:

of course, apple did it so android has to do it too

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
when he said don’t buy a garbage device, he was saying not to buy an android

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“476988434”"]
samsung makes an overlay keyboard that works pretty well

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover%97black-ej-cg950bbegww/

it has a little doohickey to indicate to the phone that it is applied, and the os switches to a soft keyboard made specifically for the overlay

the overlay has precisely located capacitative contacts to touch the soft keyboard on the screen. blammo, hardware keyboard on a modern phone.

and it’s removable so you don’t lose screen space when you don’t need it
[/quote]

rofl so instead of doing a clamshell case so you can have a keyboard with wider buttons and a case that will protect the screen while it's closed, they make a keyboard that snaps on the phone in portrait and needs to be removed after you use it

yeah that's pretty android

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“Best Bi Geek Squid”" post="“477208169”"]
bluetooth is very bad hth

also my android keeps turning notification sounds on for no reason which could be fun during a meeting. other times it puts itself on do not disturb
[/quote]

I have a way to fix that if it's still and issue:

... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... get an iPhone ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ... ... .. .... ..... ... .. ..... ...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“cis autodrag”" post="“477225860”"]
yeah, why would I stuff all my poo poo in pockets like some sort of human junk drawer when I can have a cute accessory that holds and organizes my things? it’s kind of condescending when men complain about pockets on our behalf like we can’t figure out what we want for ourselves.

also most of my dresses have deeper pockets than man jeans but I only use them for discretely taking my phone to the shitter
[/quote]

personally I wish I could strap each daily item I carry to one of my four appendages, and when I need to use said item, all I have to do is flail said appendage at what I need to use it with

it would make life much more convenient

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Athletic Footjob posted:

android should be renamed “anything but apple” at this point

nah let’s rename it to “weird product hangups”

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

and when will more than 1% of androids actually get it

I dunno, when’s the heat death of the universe?

cause it’ll probably be a couple days after that

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

iPhones do this poo poo a lot too. if trump does some egregiously stupid thing, I’ll get five alerts of the same news story about how it will totally destroy the world/the us/poor people/republicans

a keyword filter would absolutely be a nice thing to have to filter out most of the poo poo but maybe just one alert for a news story would be good too

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just get zero alerts for news, it's fine

yeah good point, I’ll just turn off the notifications for it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FMguru posted:

also, to unlock it you have to draw a line of fetid rear end-sweat across the screen with your finger while whispering "razor"

hmmm an android gaming phone that can’t be used outside and has a terrible ui, sounds like a perfect fit for android users and gamers!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
now they just need to put an android mascot with a frog face pissing on an obama Apple etched on the back and it’ll be perfect

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Management posted:

imagine being an app developer waiting three years before they can use any of the newest OS features

cool they made internet explorer into an os apparently

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

i dont disagree here but what phase of microsoft are they atm?

like they never really had a "make decent software but utilize monopoly positions to force them on users phase"
yeah they did, that’s right now

or are you gonna tell me you search the web using duck duck go in opera :jerkbag:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

you know we rightly poo poo on dyp here and the android thread in particular but if you want the absolute worst of dyp you really cant beat the cutting cable thread

its got everything the android thread has and more. so much min/maxing along with favorites like convoluted solutions to nonproblems in the search to save $5/month and endless ENDLESS problems with their cobbled together "solution". everyone changes service every few months in search of a working solution to the problem of spending money

i legitimately feel sorry for any spouses or children who have to put up with the mental illness presented itt its like look i know cable or satellite is expensive but if you care this much about tv it works and does so flawlessly just loving pay the money your wife doesnt want to have to try five different platforms to put on the british bake off you rear end

i watch maybe two hours of tv a month and the only thing that thread told me is dont cut cable

why do people over complicate this poo poo

I have a gen 3 Apple TV in the living room with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. if the show isn’t there, then there’s Plex, showrss.info and qbittorents RSS feed reader that’s like a one time setup for each show and then it downloads and catalogues automatically.

the Plex poo poo is a little janitory, but with the other services, we almost never use it. that’s been enough to cut the cable cord and never look back

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

then don’t worry about the Plex part, an Apple TV with Hulu and Netflix covers most of the tv shows

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I’m the Samsung tablet that has the same BMI as its owner

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

how are optional-use convenience systems lock-in systems? there's no reason someone couldn't make an android app that can read and use .pkpass

or from just sliding a card

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

my card specifically says "swipe not allowed" if you try to use the magstripe on a terminal that has a chip reader

simple, just put the card through the washer. if reading the chip fails enough times, it will accept a swipe

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"i'm thinking of calling my wearables company misfit, as in a thing that doesn't fit"

at least it’s aptly named for when it ends up in the land of misfit toys

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
“what’s wrong with you?”

“I’m an android watch. nobody wants an android watch!”

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blue Train posted:

Android has apps and some manufacturers have built in ambient screen that uses the proximity sensor to determine when you pull it out of your pocket and turns the screen on without the need to press the power button

the iPhone also has this

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft knocked microsoft out of the mobile market, not android

lol definitely not android, if it wasn’t for the iPhone, Android would look like a blackberry these days and windows mobile would still be around

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
idgi missing the blob emojis, they were loving terrible

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

you'll hang for this

both terrible

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Devonaut posted:

turn on your monitors

I did and this was on it

atomicthumbs posted:

you'll hang for this

loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah wanting to tether at speeds higher than 512kbps is definitely autism, as is wanting to pay youtube $10 a month to let me turn my screen off

I'm so ashamed I'm going to get rid of those things because lol anroid

post your playlists