Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
wear a toolbelt

and no pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i thought curved screens were all the rage these days :confused:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lol if you ever see your desktop except in that short time between rebooting and opening an application to actually do something

i mean, do some of you just sit there and stare at the pretty colours of your chosen wallpaper?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

whoever grabs your card after you lose your wallet is equally capable of taping over the chip

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
luv 2 sell products through my personal home page

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dodoman posted:

Sony's do that if you unlock the bootloader and don't save a particular partition beforehand. XDA calls it a DRM partition but god knows if that's what it actually is.

Seems real strange for drm to screw up your camera and not actually do anything else. And also be really trivial to circumvent if you know it's there.

More likely a combination of needing a place to store camera calibration data, plus being kinda lazy and having no reason to give a gently caress about the user experience of people who unlock their bootloader.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
is there a photog equivalent to audiophiles? just sell it as a feature

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

infernal machines posted:

what the gently caress are you doing on a laptop that requires 32gb of ram?

web browsing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there's almost certainly a whole bunch of dyp threads, full of people happy to tell you that you should get the particular device that they got.

if you want actually useful information they're probably not so helpful though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I pay for one streaming service and watch whatever I like. if content creators decide they don't want their share of my money, well, that's not my problem

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i can't believe it's that stupid. hang on, let me test it on a park near me where i know there are separate trails for biking and for walking... :ughh:

https://goo.gl/maps/zLyUsZfFwKH2

https://goo.gl/maps/gkNx2JFsoo12

i got gmaps to suggest both of these routes on pedestrian-only trails. the trail just to the north of both of these is bike-only. they're separated because this is a very popular park and it'd be super dangerous during any nice day to ride a bike down the pedestrian trail. holy poo poo google

Tbf it does say "walk your bicycle" for those sections

And you seem to have chosen endpoints that are only on the walking path and not actually reachable from the bike path? how are you expecting to get to that exact spot, ride down the cycleway and then jump the barrier?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LastInLine posted:

one of those doohickeys that used to fit in the hole of a 45rpm record to make it fit on the spindle for 33rpm

One Weird Trick to play your music at 0.75 speed?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
put a touchscreen on both sides, for selfie mode flip the phone around to the side that doesn't have the full screen

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
great job team, glad to see the new pixel three winning in performance tests against the iphone 6s!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also lol if you think qualcomm has had any incentive to make actually fast hardware. if you're not rolling your own silicon your choices are "qualcomm" and "last year's qualcomm designs that they're selling cheaper".

maybe now that there are multiple manufacturers fabbing their own chips you'll see android phones at least competing with each other on hardware performance, instead of just being about who's oem customizations slow the exact same processor down the least

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i suspect everyone is well aware that {messaging app that they don't work on} is a pointless boondoggle that will never go anywhere, but is utterly convinced that {messaging app that they work on} will change the world and become the next big thing that everyone uses

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
honestly if they just set it up so that it's got low latency to college dorms then it might work out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
people were just ignoring notifications because apps constantly filling it with spam to try and get some reengagement basically taught people to ignore it. so we're introducing a new notification mechanism that's just going to be for stuff that people actually care about

we're really sure that this new mechanism won't be used for reengagement spam because

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
pixel 3.11 for workgroups

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's literally the last line on the screencap you quoted

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
luv 2 put my cooling fan inside an impermeable enclosure to protect it from the elements

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

phil harrison thinks that if you have bad internet connectivity, you should buy an xbox 360

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

the only difference is apple doesn't make an app for the vast majority of devices

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
giving people the option to go back to the old ui: for when you're really confident in your design decisions

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hmm, it seems like it would get confusing if you renamed the NCR to be so similar to another group that exists?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
maybe it's a battery life thing

i.e. if you have your brightness max on, you obviously don't give a poo poo about battery life, so you get all the battery draining looks-flashy features

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pram posted:

lol rip

more like "project butt", amirite :xd:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

yeah, i wouldn't do that outside of yospos

i wouldn't do it inside yospos either, but at least here it's understood as a joke

i think op has a case of the fyads, where they unironically think the things that everyone else says jokingly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
which one will get shut down first?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
nice scrotum-shaped thermal paste

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
instead of deploying wifi, you put 5g sites in all the same places

then instead of using your wifi for internet access, you pay verizon money to give you essentially the same thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i figured you could probably do some cool multiplayer thing on stadia leveraging the fact that you always have near-zero peer-to-peer latency and are running things on 100% trusted hardware

but lol, can you imagine building a game that you could literally never port to some non-stadia platform

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
looks like it's still gonna be a qcom radio, so look forward to that continuing to suck just the same

those patents are hard to break

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

i need to do a thread some day when I’m not sleep-deprived about the challenge of asymmetric multiprocessing. the short version is: scheduling is a hard problem.

it's easier on a phone because you don't have the thermal budget to run the big cores so no-one really notices if you're not using them effectively

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are they giving OEMs fixed binaries for all the snapdragon versions they didn't want to support any more?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
unplug the speaker and plug in the microphone when it's your turn to talk in the meeting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

power botton posted:

yes if your apple you can do whatever but imagine if your ceo wants to limit our applications to like 5 a year because it costs too much for him to file.

Sounds like you shouldn't bother filing any because it'd be too expensive to actually use them if anyone was infringing them anyway

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Endless Mike posted:

why does media have a notification? notifications are for things that should be acted upon, now things that are constants

app developers can't be trusted to run code in the background without spying on you, and/or killing your device's battery doing inane poo poo that you don't want or need. so they're not allowed to run code in the background.

if you want to run code in the background, for example, to play music, you need a notification that essentially just exists to tell the user hey, this is what's running.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sb hermit posted:

I mean, I totally understand why they want people to unlock with a passphrase at least once every few days to make sure someone didn't just kill you (or knock you out or just stole your phone and your right hand) and is using your fingerprint to maintain access.

But if I do it once per day then I think that should be good enough to prove that it's still in the right hands, not some stupid random check.

it needs to happen constantly because repetition is what makes you actually remember it

the alternative is you forget it because you never use it, but you only find out that you've forgotten after a reboot and then you're totally screwed

also if it happens randomly, that makes it less obvious when you activate the "cop pulled me over and i don't want them to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone" mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
timelines should be measured in "time since last offered for sale" imo