Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I loving laugh at websites still doing different @media styles and stuff, "ooh we need a special tablet layout!"

or do the opposite like wells fargo and just take the meticulously designed tablet layout and stick it in a centered div for anything bigger great job guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you do your desktop site properly it'll scale down to tablet just fine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

is red trying to do a porsche design thing for phones now? i didn't think the brand was that recognizable outside of cinema camera geeks.

it's the same guy who founded oakley, he won't rest until everything is over-beveled ugly garbage with extra bold fonts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"decorative motorcycle" is such a trashy rich guy move

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 18, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

Android Creator Puts Essential Up for Sale, Cancels Next Phone

rip
laffo

never build your business on a company whose entire org switches focus every 18 months

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

ngl it irks me when they credit a single person as "creator" of a thing when he, at best, led the development team.

he literally founded both danger and android as companies so that's not too much of an overreach imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

so if TCL makes the phones, and they run android, then what does blackberry limited do?

ruin a bunch of canadian people's pensions

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good news! the worst-selling phone of the last year is getting compatibility with the world's least necessary audio format through the streaming service that's about to go out of business

quote:

Essential Products, founded by Android co-founder Andy Rubin, has partnered with MQA to deliver MQA studio quality sound to the Essential Phone. This boost to the handset’s audio capabilities comes as part of Essential’s commitment to deliver new software features and updates to its community. Essential customers will be able to stream MQA music via global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, by downloading the Android app from Google Play. TIDAL is constantly adding more master-quality music, allowing fans to hear the sound of the original recording.

Mike Jbara, MQA’s CEO stated, “This partnership sees MQA working with a truly innovative tech team. Our goal is to deliver the best audio quality to as many music fans as possible, and this collaboration with Essential represents a further step towards this ambition.”

TIDAL Chief Operating Officer Lior Tibon said, “TIDAL is proud to partner with a company that values superior sound quality. We strive to provide fans with elevated listening experiences, and our partnership with Essential illustrates how we’re committed to this mission.”

Per IFPI’s recent Music Consumer Insight Report “Connecting With Music”, 90% of paid audio streamers use a smartphone for music listening.

[MQA] About MQA
Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.
mqa is a "high res" lossy compressed format with drm that sounds literally the same as normal audio and is sold mostly to a market of people who can't even hear over 12khz anymore anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

dypers are trying to justify the pixel 3 looking like a cheap chinese iphone knockoff

O____O

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

within 2 years every apple peripheral, including cables, will run ios

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I accidentally clicked on the android thread in iyg and thought I was reading people copy-pasting things into this thread for a minute

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chowder in a bread bowl maybe?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

who knew designing a high end device from scratch would be difficult???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You Am I posted:

Heh, Australia has it worse since Fox has done their best to lock in HBO, Showtime and most other studios to their pay TV service making streaming a waste of time outside of Netflix.

your country is responsible for unleashing rupert murdoch on the world, you deserve your lovely streaming

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the whole keynote thing is stupid, at this point I think it's mostly ego stroking for the executives who get to be on stage

there's like a million people willing to write about apple news, inviting 500 of them to the campus is totally unnecessary and they could just email out a press kit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

99% of people don’t read keynote liveblogs and the tech press will regurgitate anything that’s in a press release from an important company, frequently verbatim

Nintendo stopped going to every trade show and just streams prerecorded announcement videos from their own studio and people react the same drat way they did to live events. if it was about letting people get their hands on stuff to check it out they could do smaller events in sf and new york, maybe one in hong kong at the same time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when an iphone got left in a bar bathroom it made international news. the word apple is like the #1 clickbait for headlines, if there was no stupid event it would still be on the evening news around the world

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

MORE LENSES = BETTER THAN

yes, it runs android

it also costs more than an actual good camera [2 grand]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

and last i heard it was half baked

yeah it is worse at everything than any actual camera half its price

quote:

But when I tried to rattle off a burst of shots, things ground to a halt. The refresh rate of the screen, which is forgivable when you’re taking one or two photos, makes capturing multiple images a headache. I’m a professed over-shooter, but it has a significant speed limit.

I also found the camera’s autofocus to be slow and sometimes unreliable, especially in low light. And since all this is managed through the touchscreen, it was hard to make sure I had it focused on exactly the right spot. There’s just way more room for error here than you’d find on a traditional digital camera.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

wow, turns out google's slow-rear end os is absolute dogshit for controlling hardware? who could have guessed?

also 16 5mm sensors not as good as one 1.5” one who knew

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anthonypants posted:

verge score: 5.0

given their typical 7-10 scale that’s actually a -2

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kind of amazing that nokia still has like 30 separate phone models including 14 androids

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah and that's even after the original Nokia died and HMD took over. although iirc HMD has a lot of former Nokia employees

are some of the phones just minor variants meant for different areas of the world? like with different wireless bands support. i noticed the dumb phones were all 2g or 3g except for the matrix retro one which has LTE
:iiam:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

and people are making fun of apple's naming rn

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

there was way less commonality between the SW builds of various symbian s60 phones than you would think. like think fragmentation/reinventation issues worse than the android market, except all happening within one company.

yeah I read they basically had full dev teams for each handset

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

no red dot. what's the point of having a leica if you can't show it off??!

Leica has a few models with no red dot. they cost more than the poverty-tier base models

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

a lot of people choose android because they care very much about who made their device/OS. "enjoy your walled garden appleailures :smugdroid:" is a cliche for a reason.

there are almost none of those people in the larger scheme of things, you just happen to know a bunch of them

same thing with the strawman hipster apple fan, these companies sell tens of millions of phones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4 cameras is better. is two more
https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1049980689200877568

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I totally trust samsumg's rockstar software team to create amazing seamless images that won't be blurry or full of processing artifacts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

i was wondering that too, but the aperture on that one is only negligibly faster than the two top cameras, and actually slower than the "main camera". If anything, the user should get more out of focus backgrounds with the f/1.7 main camera.

depth of field depends on aperture vs sensor size so with those like 5mm phone sensors you’re not going to get much rich, creamy bokeh without lots of fake processing even at low f stop

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

ah, so maybe there's some digital fuckery being applied to that one camera then

that thing has 4 cameras with different apertures and resolutions, digital fuckery will be unavoidable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

did that thing ever actually capture an image on par with a medium format film cam?

only worse. the area of every sensor on it combined is probably less than aps let alone medium format

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Partycat posted:

I don’t have a copy of the DSM V handy - what’s this affliction called again ?

rubin brin syndrome

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

holy lol the verge just gave a 3 to the red hydrogen gimmick phone, that's like a negative number from anybody else

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027782/red-hydrogen-one-review-all-hype

red's tacky rear end industrial design made so much more sense to me when I learned the founder used to be ceo of oakley

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I hate their stupid logo. It looks like something you'd see on a toy camera from the dollar store

What's kerning precious

limited edition pickup truck rear end logo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I find it funny that most tech people turn their nose up at front end work because it's easy and not real programming but if you gently caress it up people sure notice the most

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google is currently going buck wild with corner radii

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is allo the one that could only be signed in on one device at a time?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

what the heck the people behind the new Psion just made another phone: Cosmo Communicator

It sounds surprisingly decent

tfw when you have exactly one idea in your life and just keep iterating on it as long as people give you money

see also: david cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should remove the external speaker entirely, then people couldn't have shouty speakerphone conversations in public or watch tagalog variety shows at full blast on the bus [this may be a pretty specific complaint]