Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big trade show announcements were a lot more important before everyone had a constant internet connection in their pocket

Like, I don't need to go to macworld any more to see a presentation of the new Photoshop features or get a demo version of myth II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol the android people don't dare throw stones over battery issues after the note fiasco

um excuse me but 1 exploding iphone model represents like 1/40 of all iphones sold while 1 exploding android model could not possibly be more than .01% of all the android phones out there ipso facto wrap it up applailures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm trying to figure out how much of that lens arrangement is actually required by optics and how much is just laziness

Because goddamn that is an ugly composition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like that both the apple and android threads are currently talking about Problems Playing Music

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the red X graphic used to mean "on"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bet i can type faster with swype than he can with that thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

huawei is for people who want the biggest numbers for the littlest money and don't particularly care that it comes with adware preinstalled or routes all your traffic through 毛主席的永恒电子大脑

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I only buy Sony phones because they are made of powerful hanzo steel and are very kawaii

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1770s teenagers: check out my ironic hat feather. it's so lame lol i love it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just discovered that you can double tap the task switcher button to cycle back and forth between your two last apps, like pressing alt-tab, instead of pressing the task switcher and then tapping the one you want. This is going to change my life. Android you absolute madman

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wish i had one of those. i have an htc magic, which is the second android phone ever sold. i got it because all-touchscreen was cooler in 2008 than one with a keyboard, like a fuckin blackberry or something. but these days it would be fun to say yeah, i have the very first android phone ever made.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i loathe soft-touch coatings more than perhaps any other surface treatment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

even more than the windows carpet?

yeah that fuzzy material was a really bad choice for that type of product, but i would still rather touch it than anything with the soft-touch rubberization

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I had mine for 5 years and it never got gross the way you see pictures of online. I use it every day too. these nasty keyboards are owned by loving disgusting people who do horrible poo poo to their computers.

i once had a student who asked me for help with his solidworks model and i literally couldn't see what was happening on his laptop screen through the grime. there were sprays of brown god-knows-what all over the glass, like he'd been driving it through the mud, and grunge caked on so hard you could see it was three-dimensional. i got him a bottle of windex and some paper towels and told him to clean it off before I could help. that may have been humiliating for him but jesus christ dude have some pride

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

dude you know what those stains were.

i'm in denial

anecdotally, since i started making a special effort to wash my hands after touching any student's mouse or keyboard, i now usually get away safe while the rest of the department is all sick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is the razer logo supposed to be anyway

i always see it as sort of like three sperms making a biohazard symbol

hm. actually, "warning: toxic genes" is pretty fuckin apt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so it's like a snake...orgy?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

red's tacky rear end industrial design made so much more sense to me when I learned the founder used to be ceo of oakley

I hate their stupid logo. It looks like something you'd see on a toy camera from the dollar store

What's kerning precious

e: also, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it's a big shiny red circle :jerkbag:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This phone has a 6mm nano penis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean you really don't, as long as you don't buy a phone that doubles as a CCP intelligence device and then immediately root it and install an operating system image customized by putin's nephew

my sony android has no ads other than the poo poo in the youtube app. does ios have ads playing in front of youtubes? that would be a major win for them if no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Isn't that one of the things the XFL tried

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

steven p. jobs thought that sony had good enough industrial design to license OS X. he would also personally execute the parties responsible for p much the entire current apple product line. ipso facto sonies are the best iphones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was like 12 years old I had a subscription to MacAddict and would read every issue cover to cover over and over again. I told my mom once that when I grew up, I wanted to write for a tech publication like that, and she literally laughed in my face

A good mom as it turns out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of my students was showing me a picture on his new sarnsung or whatever and i noticed that it has a very skinny (maybe 3mm) full-width bezel along the top of the screen, which still contains the cameras and sensors. it looks like 1000% better than any notch.

pretty loving amazing that androids are now not just matching but beating apple's industrial design

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phones with full keyboards are dead. swype style gestural typing is very fast and much smoother than thumb-tapping, and if you need to write an essay on your phone there are apps like airdroid that will mirror it into your computer, or you can be a super goon and just get a usb or bluetooth keyboard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not really? Open source software (and, to a lesser extent, hardware) is incredibly wasteful because it's predominantly made by incompetent amateurs with no budget, scope or timeline

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my phone updated to android pee last night and i loving hate two UI changes in particular

1) the clock is on the left now, with the notifications, instead of on the right with the "system tray" stuff. this makes it look like i constantly have a notification active

2) when you change the volume, the slider pops up in the middle of the screen along the side, obscuring the screen content, instead of at the top like it used to

i believe that both of these changes were made because phones are all gonna have that stupid loving notch. now you have to balance stuff at the top left and right (clock) because the center top isn't usable, and a slider at the top of the screen also naturally would be partially obscured so it has to go somewhere else

i could get used to the volume thing but of course there is also no way to return the clock to the right even though my phone has a normal screen.

go gently caress yourself, google

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all notches are stupid and bad

there are sarnsungs out there that cram the camera and all the sensors into like a 1/8" bezel at the top of the screen. there's zero reason to make the screen a weird shape with cutouts when you can do that instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd post a suggestions for why there are reasons to try to avoid that, but it'd cause a multi-page derail about how wearing well-fitting pants is a stupid affectation that no real/adult/professional person/goon would lower themselves to

There's literally zero justification for using the notch over a 3mm bezel at the top of the screen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

screeching NOT A loving SUIT as I wear suit will never not be hilarious

you gotta get the actual wording right, because it's not just the sentiment -- he also picked the absolute douchiest way of wording it

"a studied reminder" :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know about the Big Game thing but here is his long-suffering wife's opinion on the matter

quote:

Several years ago I asked Nilay for a new suitcase for Christmas, expecting a sturdy Samsonite or Tumi. You know, a suitcase. Instead, I received what he had deemed the “prettiest one.” It was subsequently destroyed both aesthetically and functionally after its very first journey in the hands of American Airlines.

That is the Samsung curved TV he brought home from Walmart. “I bought the prettiest one,” he said. Again. Those were the words uttered by my in-house technology expert, who quit his job as a lawyer for a new career writing technology reviews. A gamble which I fully supported at the time, and only question when he justifies a purchase by telling me “it was the prettiest.”

So, this Samsung television. (Ed. note: it is a Samsung UN40K6250AF.) The screen is curved, which means that it picks up and seemingly magnifies every glimmer of light in the room. Because that’s what you want in a television screen. The curved screen demands that you sit dead center of the TV unless you want to observe the equally frustrated facial expressions of the person sitting opposite you on the couch trying in vain to see through the glare. The glare is ridiculous. It’s so completely terrible that I give up after watching something for 30 seconds and walk away whisper-yelling swears at my sucker of a husband for bringing this piece of poo poo into my home. This television makes me hiss in anger.

THIS TELEVISION MAKES ME HISS IN ANGER
Do you enjoy watching TV in a room with literally any light, natural or otherwise? Sorry, you can’t. On a sunny day there is exactly one cushion on our gigantic 12-person sofa from which you can see the picture on this stupendously awful television. And it’s no better at night unless you turn off every single light in the room. Which is fine for late night movie watching, but impossibly annoying at all other times. Leave the couch to get snacks or another glass of wine, and you better remember to turn off any light you use or you’ll be getting right back up again. I guess if you’re a Fitbit-obsessed step-counter like I am, that counts as one of the few pros offered by this trash heap of a television.

Have the fools who designed this thing ever watched TV? Were they visually impaired? Was it tested in a cave? I hate it so much. It is shiny and beautiful. It is the prettiest. If you’re looking for a weird modern mirror, it’s a wonderful addition to a room. As a television, it is a piece of impulse-buy garbage designed for suckers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just wanted to post that it's p cool that everything is going to usb-c finally. it's neat to be able to mix and match laptop chargers between any recent models regardless of manufacturer, and also use the same one for my phone in a pinch. like i just noticed that my phone battery is low, was too lazy to get up and walk over to its charger, but oh look at that i can just unplug my wireless keyboard and use that cable and it just works.

my laptop has 2x USB-C and 3x USB-A and that's excellent and appropriate for the next 5 years or so, but i hope usb-c continues to grow and doesn't get replaced with some other proprietary dogshit a year from now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah that's real dumb. i put my 14" thinkpad beside a friend's 15" mbp and it's exactly the same thickness both open and closed, but in the thinkpad they managed to fit three regular usb ports and a full size hdmi as well as the two usb-c. apple has zero excuse.

other than courage, i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

love 2 store my unchangeable biometric identification on my sarnsung andoird

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i goddamn fuckin hate airpods because we have a "no headphones in the shop" rule for obvious safety reasons and it used to be easy to tell bc you'd just look for the cord but now they're almost invisible. i have to wave my hands in people's faces to get their attention. real fuckin helpful if i'm ten feet behind you and notice you're about to cut off your hands

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dodoman posted:

this was all on some sort of "google network connection" so not a real world example

remember when they showed that google assistant that would call the hair salon or the restaurant for you and then it was never made available to the public because the entire thing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LastInLine posted:

lol i almost eqd that too

now theyve discovered that new phones can be more than $700 and wants to know how to fix it

this is why i always buy last year's model for $300

if you're doing something with your phone that actually needs the newest most expensive version, drat son re-examine your loving life and buy a laptop already

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I bet there was at least an hour of discussion over whether it should be 3a or 3A

i bet at least half of that was asking if there was a way to A/B test it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

curved screens haven't been the hot new android thing for years now. probably it was just old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keep rear end