Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should remove the external speaker entirely, then people couldn't have shouty speakerphone conversations in public or watch tagalog variety shows at full blast on the bus [this may be a pretty specific complaint]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I do mourn the death of the headphone jack because I will never again get to see a repeat of the situation where some dude was jamming out REALLY HARD to some music on his headphones but didn't realize the jack was partially out and only playing one channel which resulted in his external speaker also blasting nickleback to the entire bus

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I do mourn the death of the headphone jack because I will never again get to see a repeat of the situation where some dude was jamming out REALLY HARD to some music on his headphones but didn't realize the jack was partially out and only playing one channel which resulted in his external speaker also blasting nickleback to the entire bus

that must have been embarrassing for you. make sure it's plugged all the way in next time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

No.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FMguru posted:

he also spends at least two paragraphs of every phone review either 1) whining about the lack of a headphone jack and damning apple for removing them or 2) praising the presence of a headphone jack and damning apple for taking them out

i got banned from commenting on the verge for calling nilay a moron because he said that the iphone 6 cpu was just as powerful as the a desktop processor because the geekbench scores were similar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's fair. it completely ignores all the other reasons nilay patel is a moron

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
screeching NOT A loving SUIT as I wear suit will never not be hilarious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

screeching NOT A loving SUIT as I wear suit will never not be hilarious

you gotta get the actual wording right, because it's not just the sentiment -- he also picked the absolute douchiest way of wording it

"a studied reminder" :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

a fuckin suit, thru-and-thru

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait wasn't he the same guy who impulse-bought a TV, whined about how much it sucked, said that rolling down to Walmart to just grab a random TV for the ~big game~ was his way of "keeping it real", and completely disregarded the thought of just taking the goddamn thing back for a refund/exchange??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know about the Big Game thing but here is his long-suffering wife's opinion on the matter

quote:

Several years ago I asked Nilay for a new suitcase for Christmas, expecting a sturdy Samsonite or Tumi. You know, a suitcase. Instead, I received what he had deemed the “prettiest one.” It was subsequently destroyed both aesthetically and functionally after its very first journey in the hands of American Airlines.

That is the Samsung curved TV he brought home from Walmart. “I bought the prettiest one,” he said. Again. Those were the words uttered by my in-house technology expert, who quit his job as a lawyer for a new career writing technology reviews. A gamble which I fully supported at the time, and only question when he justifies a purchase by telling me “it was the prettiest.”

So, this Samsung television. (Ed. note: it is a Samsung UN40K6250AF.) The screen is curved, which means that it picks up and seemingly magnifies every glimmer of light in the room. Because that’s what you want in a television screen. The curved screen demands that you sit dead center of the TV unless you want to observe the equally frustrated facial expressions of the person sitting opposite you on the couch trying in vain to see through the glare. The glare is ridiculous. It’s so completely terrible that I give up after watching something for 30 seconds and walk away whisper-yelling swears at my sucker of a husband for bringing this piece of poo poo into my home. This television makes me hiss in anger.

THIS TELEVISION MAKES ME HISS IN ANGER
Do you enjoy watching TV in a room with literally any light, natural or otherwise? Sorry, you can’t. On a sunny day there is exactly one cushion on our gigantic 12-person sofa from which you can see the picture on this stupendously awful television. And it’s no better at night unless you turn off every single light in the room. Which is fine for late night movie watching, but impossibly annoying at all other times. Leave the couch to get snacks or another glass of wine, and you better remember to turn off any light you use or you’ll be getting right back up again. I guess if you’re a Fitbit-obsessed step-counter like I am, that counts as one of the few pros offered by this trash heap of a television.

Have the fools who designed this thing ever watched TV? Were they visually impaired? Was it tested in a cave? I hate it so much. It is shiny and beautiful. It is the prettiest. If you’re looking for a weird modern mirror, it’s a wonderful addition to a room. As a television, it is a piece of impulse-buy garbage designed for suckers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

that was a typo, clearly he meant "a studded reminder"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know about the Big Game thing but here is his long-suffering wife's opinion on the matter

i could swear he got into it in the comments or on twitter or something, maybe it wasn't for ~the big game~ but he definitely actually tried to defend his dumbass purchase with something like "yeah going down to Walmart to buy some rando TV helps me 'keep it real'"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
claims he does not ever want to be a suit or fit in

was literally a lawyer, the definition of a suit

:thinking:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

claims he does not ever want to be a suit or fit in

was literally a lawyer, the definition of a suit

:thinking:

one does have to assume that if he was willing to quit being a lawyer to review lovely tvs that he wasnt a good lawyer

no true scotsman and all that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the SE is great but they should remove the headphone jack so they can make the external speaker bigger

wtf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

a good lawyer

a what now?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

yeesh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a few hundo an hour depending

i thought it was fake but wow

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
why does android need a different build per handset when you can just download a linux distro or windows build and install it on whatever?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because no one makes drivers for half the poo poo in any given handset and no one can distribute them freely either

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

infernal machines posted:

because no one makes drivers for half the poo poo in any given handset and no one can distribute them freely either

thank you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Anyone else having an issue where texts get old texts and pictures added to them without your knowledge until it's sent?

LG g7 thinq, tmo, the stock google messaging app.

Just sent a nude to a group chat, so uh, I'd like that to not happen again.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I only sent the picture of the cereal, but this is what my wife got

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but I did not intend to send the nude.
literal garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

thank you

np. that's the whole "free software" thing, and why android is not linux in theory or practice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as i've noted before we'd all have been way better off if intel had gotten its poo poo together on x86 phone soc's, as they were heading towards being documented extensions of a pc platform with a full set of open drivers

unfortunately they couldn't make a functioning single-chip modem solution to save their lives so here we are~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that and "low power" x86 isn't really a thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hey if they could do this impossible thing then things would be better okay

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is not at all clear, the size of the front-end stuff is getting to be pretty small from a broader perspective

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the chipsets small so its portable, DUH

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i rather jumped ahead, *why* do you figure low-power x86 is impossible?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i didn't say it was impossible, though it may be, but it doesn't exist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

intel themselves don't appear to be capable of making a low power soc that can even come close to arm's power envelope, and i don't see any one else trying either.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i didn't say it was impossible, though it may be, but it doesn't exist

they tried, but it seems like the atom is as close as they can get. you would think that if they could scale x86 down to phone sizes with performance on-par with existing arm chips they already would have

meanwhile arm is creeping into the server market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

otoh there's no reason i'm aware of that you can't build an arm platform with uefi, etc so that everything is standardized just like x86

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the bigger issue from my perspective is that when they tried they kept promising an actual soc (as in a one-chip solution) for years on end while never actually managing to make a functioning modem

the cpu cores were not *that* impressive either, but radio situation just ruled out even comparing numbers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

x86's days are numbered

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The_Franz posted:

they tried, but it seems like the atom is as close as they can get. you would think that if they could scale x86 down to phone sizes with performance on-par with existing arm chips they already would have

meanwhile arm is creeping into the server market

last I checked it was creeping into the laptop market too, lenovo released an arm laptop last year that got somewhat good reviews and Firefox/chrome are going to get arm64 variants at some point

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

np. that's the whole "free software" thing, and why android is not linux in theory or practice
i think u mean GNU plus linux sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you love grudgingly tolerate anroid on your telephone, now you can have it built into your new car!

quote:

This project with Polestar is a full-blown operating system instead of a single app, and it is built into the car's hardware instead of running on your smartphone. It doesn't really have a name yet. Volvo was just calling it "Android," and Google, in the past, has referred to it as both "Android Automotive" and "Android Auto built-in."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/the-volvo-polestar-2-is-the-first-google-android-car/