Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Plot twist: apparently Google had it fixed for two years before pushing it out, from an Arstechnica comment:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-pixel-bug-lets-you-uncrop-the-last-four-years-of-screenshots/?comments=1&comments-page=1

probably some gross nerd working for google photos is working on fappening 2.0. (it's just taking forever because no celebrities use androids)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm still struggling to understand what it is that a phone from 2023 can do that a phone from 2017 can't

low-quality 3d scanning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

distortion park posted:

thank you I wasn't going to install a terminal app

only let me do 6.5s but good enough

boy i wanna floof that dog

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i cracked my screen protector a few days ago and i put a new one on today. i did it completely perfectly first time. barely had to squeegee it and there was not a single speck of dust underneath to remove. didn't even use the stickers. flawless.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

call me back when they make a phone that rolls up like a papyrus scroll.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

looked it up. it was one of these loathsome things

I had one of those loathsome things too. It was pretty great though because it had a real GPS chip in it two years before any iPhone did

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meme: STOP CREATING PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES -- 1000 NEW LANGUAGES MADE BY AWFUL NERDS EVERY YEAR AND NONE OF THEM HAS EVER IMPROVED ON C++ -- THEY HAVE PLAYED US FOR ABSOLUTE FOOLS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What a piece of poo poo. Who even wants this? Why?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i too would prefer to live in a world where imessage continues to work rather than being hobbled for compatibility with the vagaries of android

the only reason there are vagaries in the first place is because of the sms fallback that apple themselves supports

if they released an imessage app for android they could remove the sms support entirely and everything would just work

but,

Jenny Agutter posted:

tim Apple would rather have a world where many teenagers are bullied for their phone choice but apple profits are .1% higher

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alternately the first-world iphone snobs could get on the same page as the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp, the people's messaging system.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

whatsapp has more than twice as many active users as imessage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

the kids are right

consider: you're taking the side of 15 year old girls (primarily), the cruelest people there are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

google kills their pixel pass program that lets you get a new phone every two years after 22 months

https://mastodon.social/@arstechnica/110979553228547354

outstanding move. perfect

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lucky Goldstar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

advanced micro devices

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As long as it quits reducing videos to 30kb .3gp in group chats I don't care about any other features.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ugh that isn't even the original

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol @ beeper mini getting loving b&

i wanted to post that in this thread and lol @ this thread being buried on page 4

who is "beeper mini"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

literally what i thought when i read it, but hbag wasn't in the leper's colony recently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suspect it means that soon if you want to download fortnite you're going to have to go to the Play store to download the Epic store and then use the Epic store to download the game, and it will be a shittier user experience all around, but if you play fortnite I think you probably deserve it so nbd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

If Netflix still had their monopoly it'd cost $100/mo now

As opposed to paying for six $15 services to see what used to all be on Netflix?

At least it'd be consolidated

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

unlike most bullying aspects, buying a bad phone is a choice

would you say it's okay to bully kids for, say, not having a pair of jordans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i don't think they are doing that, no

no, they literally are. tim is on record saying that if your mom doesn't like that iphones won't send high resolution pictures to her android phone, you should buy her an iphone.

timb would absolutely without a doubt prefer to have schoolkids get bullied than see his margins go down a fraction of a percent.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alternately stupid americans could get on board with the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

despite still having a facebook account, i generally want to avoid most of meta's products, and as such would rather use something other than whatsapp

delete facebook, get whatsapp. no net change in number of meta products, but you will be better off because whatsapp isn't facebook.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

When is one of these android smartphone makers going to copy the dimensions of the iphone se? these phones are too fuckin big

Sony used to make a Compact version of all their flagship Android phones, and they only sold them in Japan because they're kawaii, and I loved those and bought several of them. But I think the time of small phones is done

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that isn't even the first very smelly pen!

quote:

I love the Noodler's Ahab pen. I've had it for a couple of weeks and enjoyed using it very much. But the smell is quite annoying. Some people might like the smell, but not me. I've read somewhere that the smell disappears after a while. But is there a way to make it go away faster? I've tried washing it a few times; smell still persist. Thanks.

quote:

Just received my first Ahab and thought our toddler had vomited somewhere in the room. It's awful. Any help would be appreciated!

quote:

New
I too thought one of my kids had vomited when first opening and filling my new Creeper with ink. Soon realised it was the pen and couldn't believe that a pen would smell so awful. I gave it a good wash with liquid soap. The smell is also fading naturally after a week or so.

quote:

OK, Folks,
Love the pen, but after 6 months the smell is still horrible. Tried leaving in the sun for a few weeks, in the shade for a few weeks, in the fridge, in the freezer, in a drawer, Fabreeze, bleach, vinegar, and it still stinks. Should I just give up? Every time I open my desk the smell is nearly overwhelming, and it gets on my hands when I write.

those pens are made of cellulose acetate butyrate, though, a plastic that is manufactured with and gradually releases butyric acid, which is the key odor compound in rotten milk and vomit.

a lot of old tool handles are made of the same stuff, which is why sometimes you open a drawer full of old screwdrivers at grandpa's house and phwoowoooooooo

anyway the more you know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Specifically, an American voice from California. A lot of those other states have really weird accents going on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

now that ios lets you customize your home screen icon layout i may actually shift over there next time round.

still wish they'd have a proper SMS software though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They do! It's the green icon with the talk bubble on the main screen

ahhh, whatsapp. i like it a lot but most of the people i know are too dull to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hemroid