Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my (u.s.) moto defaulted to uk english. I haven't changed it because I like when it says that files have been moved to the bin or asks if I want to turn on the torch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my (u.s.) moto defaulted to uk english. I've left it because I like my phone talking about moving files to the bin or turning on the torch

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

i'm the company that, with a valuation over 1 billion american dollars, put a fan in a telephone's camera.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
bluetooth is very bad hth

also my android keeps turning notification sounds on for no reason which could be fun during a meeting. other times it puts itself on do not disturb

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yeah the volume thing could be my fault for being clumsy when I put it into my pocket or something. guess I was spoiled with the iphones' toggle silence switch.

I was going to keep arguing the BT point by using the poo poo mic quality of my friend's headset as an example but then I remembered that it was paired to a ~Microsoft Surface~ and lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
for less than 500 dollars you too can own a telephone that fails to call 911 AND reports every time you open snapchat

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/#2

"Google has decided to permanently remove all top touch functionality. The company sent us the following statement:

'We take user privacy and product quality concerns very seriously. Although we only received a few reports of this issue, we want people to have complete peace of mind while using Google Home Mini.

We have made the decision to permanently remove all top touch functionality on the Google Home Mini. As before, the best way to control and activate Google Home Mini is through voice, by saying 'Ok Google' or 'Hey Google,' which is already how most people engage with our Google Home products. You can still adjust the volume by using the touch control on the side of the device.'

Note that it's not just the long-press to activate Assistant that's getting permanently canned, but also the single-tap functionality to play, pause, and stop alarms/timers. The support page has now been reflected accordingly"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but its now super safe guys; keep having conversations about your favorite brands and interests around the mini

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/24/pixel2-google-clicks-high-frequency-noises/

quote:

According to around 100 buyers on Google's Pixel product forum, the Pixel 2, and to a lesser extent, Pixel 2 XL are emitting clicking and/or high frequency sounds from the call speaker.

Users describe the ticking problem as like the second-hand on a bad watch that runs continuously when the phone is unlocked. The high-pitched noise, on the other hand, happens only during calls. Turning off NFC often stops the clicking problem, and while that's obviously no fix, it points to where the issue may lie. The whining, on the other hand, seems to be unrelated. It's mostly Pixel 2 buyers reporting the issues, but several XL buyers also complained.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

:discourse:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

Among the five major US carriers, MetroPCS had the highest percentage of devices with patches more than three months old, making their devices the most susceptible to attack.

:thunk:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

syscall girl posted:

did anyone say bokeh haram yet?

because i'm gonna, if not

poasting from my brand new chomebook

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

#burgerghazigate is picking up steam. how is Microsoft the only company that understands how to layer a burger?

https://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/924487551372615680

apple: you're eating it wrong

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
thanks to my carrier I still have blob-emoji android. also security holes

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

the review of the razer phone posted:

in its current state it's hard to recommend to anyone besides hardcore fans of the brand.

there are apparently "hardcore" razer fans

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*slaps razer logo over apple logo on seven-year-old plastic macbook while saving up for a razer blade*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lol that stockholm syndrome

a commenter farther down literally asked if he could download the exploit on his LG

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

LastInLine posted:

from cutting cable

when told the apple tv was the solution to his problem

lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

HoboMan posted:

im still using my samsung flip-phone from 2006. it gives a warning that it's not provisioned every time i turn it on and it fails to ring half the time people call me, but it still "works"

:chloe:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

the pre-sale valuation of the company was the product of an extremely thoughtful and totally sane market

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao im seeing a lot of spin out there - "50000 isn't that bad for a startup" and "well it's gonna get android 8.1!"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

Android has apps and some manufacturers have built in ambient screen that uses the proximity sensor to determine when you pull it out of your pocket and turns the screen on without the need to press the power button

i have this its actually dope and useful

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

yes, i do too

on my iphone

the sensor also works when you wave your hand over it without picking up the phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"Overclocking a phone was a useful thing"

lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they choose project fuchsia as the name because Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition was already taken

also fuchsia is really hard to spell

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"using this is like having a d-pad again"

-the android experience in 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the android blob cat emojis are really ugly. I dunno what they look like in 8 because, predictably, my phone will probably never see it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this purports to be a minion version of the android mascot:

e: fixed - i'm an idiot

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

*shakes head*

only four clocks. this won't do. at all.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

It's the stupid bullshit on the right that is bad

for instance this is old so they no longer take up the whole status bar but there are no notifications in this ss

NOTIFICATIONS FOR THE NOTIFICATIONS GOD
CLOCKS FOR THE CLOCK THRONE

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I saw a pixel commercial yesterday about this old lady who is actually a ~*super cool DJ*~

it was real bad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*google emerges from your house, stripping off layer after layer of protective gear. google tosses each layer into a screaming incinerator. Five minutes later, after pulling aside the last filter mask, google grins and gives you a thumbs up*

yeah your house is safe today!

See you tomorrow!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

Lots of the chinese oem skins rip off ios but lol at the contacts having two different icons

https://twitter.com/WhatTheBit/status/978632516927217665

:five:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
even the jony has had to make grudging concessions to reality

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
notch your aver-age phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/will-android-p-be-android-popsicle/ posted:

With the release of Google's spring wallpapers, some folks are seeing hints that the next Android mobile OS -- now up to letter P -- will be called Popsicle.

something something because things will suck on it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
looking foreward to the whimsically named release that will never reach my phone

still on 7 :smithicide:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
have they confirmed that android Y will be yospos

cause you are all so sweet

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oh ok my bad here is a better link;

https://www.popsicle.com/