Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

works in latvia, wontfix

iirc dialing 112 from a gsm phone in north america will get you emergency services too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

was it the f35 that had its avionics completely crash when it crossed in the international dateline or a different flying piece of poo poo?

iirc it was the f-22 where the designers weren't familiar with the concept of a monotonic clock

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

can someone tell me the story about the android phone that sent all your personal info to china

i just caught up on the thread and heard it mentioned

a bunch of companies who make really cheap poor-phones have spyware on their devices which send your data to somewhere in china

in other news, water is wet

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still don't understand how MS managed to have some actual success with the xbox brand. it's like the single new consumer product/line of theirs in decades that they didn't mismanage into oblivion

weren't mismanaging is a better way of putting it since the xbone has been a disaster of a product from the day it was announced. most of the success with the xbox came from back in the time when they were still making some good decisions and not putting most of their effort into trying and failing to play catch-up with apple and google.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

"if they want to succeed they just have to spend billions buying an established telecom provider and then drive away 99.9% of the customers"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

what happened to their own android operating system tizen?

don’t sully the good name of android by comparing it to tizen. even the shittiest android phone is 100x more responsive than any samsung smart tv and some brilliant mind at samsung decided that tizen should use enlightenment and efl, which is probably the worst gui toolkit ever designed.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jfc nws that poo poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so to an extent the incentive to use Apple Pay is right here because card issuers have to ship a slow contact chip in the card but can punt spending extra on a fast contactless chip because Apple and various knockoffs bundle and provision their own contactless

and the short version is that’s why i Apple Pay at the grocery store instead of waiting on the chip

the speed seems to be more correlated with the terminal than the chip. costco's terminals don't do nfc yet, but using a chip card there is almost as fast as apple pay anywhere else.

i would think that the increased security would be a bigger incentive to the credit card companies since digital wallets are locked with a pin/biometrics and the transactions involve one-use tokens and a device number instead of your real card number, so even if there is hacking or skimming they can't do anything with the information and it's trivial for the card issuer to just push a new device number to you vs cancelling and re-issuing your physical card.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

what's funny is that some merchants started to intentionally disable the nfc capabilities of their terminals after apple pay started rolling out, even though contactless payments worked there before

walmart still does this because they would rather people use their lovely qr code app which is tied directly to the user's bank account

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 13, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

visiting yurop, american cards still print a slip and require a signature

this freaks the gently caress out of cashiers and baristas. and nobody ever has a pen.

as of next year most payment processors are eliminating any remaining signature requirements since they found, to great surprise i'm sure, that making people draw a squiggly line vaguely resembling a signature doesn't actually do anything to prevent fraud

now the us just needs to catch up to europe 10+ years ago with those wireless payment terminals in restaurants so you can use mobile payment systems or pay with a card without the waiter taking it out of your sight

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"look at the bright side, we still sold 100x more units than the microsoft kin!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

google is like 90s apple with 4 different competing OS teams all status jockeying, empire building, and creating pointless vaporware

at least it gives them something to do that isn't creating more incompatible chat protocols and apps

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

we were able to engineer a slimmer notch by not including the whole 3D face detection biometric sensor

they really needed that space for the huge extra clock

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

only two android phone makers put out security updates in a timely manner

obviously one is google, but try and guess the other...

lol essential

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm happy with t-mo now that they worked out unlimited roaming with at&t (gsm data bands instead of lte). The 250mb/mo roaming cap on at&t was annoying when I was on vacation in the sticks

it's nice that their international data roaming is unlimited, but it's really slow and their international data passes are generally considerably more expensive than just buying a local prepaid sim card.

digits is cool though, since i can use my us number over data no matter where i am.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

never connect your tv to the internet

:yeah:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

im not doing anything wrong so i dont care :smug:

everyone says that right before the secret police show up at their door

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a few months ago i was on a high alpine pasture where vehicles were prohibited as indicated by several signs on the road up. just minutes after a local told us stories about idiot tourists blindly following their gps and getting stuck up there we saw a car coming across the field, seemingly lost. when we spoke to the driver of the car he turned out to be the head marketing representative for huawai in that area

that's my huawai story

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Linguica posted:

the irony is that practically no one gets hdtv over the air and yet OTA broadcasts are likely the highest quality video you can get short of bluray

broadcast tv in the us is limited to 720p/1080i with 20mbps of mpeg-2 video per physical channel, and physical channels are often subdivided into 4 or more subchannels. usually the major networks look good since they're hd and have decent bandwidth, but the subchannels are typically 480i and the overall quality usually ranges from passable to poo poo. on top of that, the us airwaves are currently in the midst of a repack to free up more spectrum for wireless internet, further shrinking the available tv spectrum that was already reduced during the digital transition, which is resulting in more networks being shoved onto the same channel and having to share bandwidth. in other cases channels are being moved back to low-vhf, which means that you'll need a set of old-style large rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna with large elements to receive them.

atsc 3.0 will fix a lot of the problems and is currently being tested in several markets, but that means going through another transition phase and making every tv tuner obsolete not even a decade since the analog shutoff.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i didn't say it was impossible, though it may be, but it doesn't exist

they tried, but it seems like the atom is as close as they can get. you would think that if they could scale x86 down to phone sizes with performance on-par with existing arm chips they already would have

meanwhile arm is creeping into the server market

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

can't be lovely software no sir, must be the hardware

all of the little lags, hitching and general jankiness are lovely software, yes

that doesn’t change the fact that apple’s chips are way beyond anything in an android though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

lol the peel-off protective plastic coating turned out to be load-bearing

load bearing plastic film

:groverphone:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the software thing is becoming the least of huawei's problems as apparently now all arm employees have been ordered to cease contact with them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Kins posted:

phil harrison also oversaw the troubled launch of the ps3 and the very troubled launch of the xbox one. if he's the talking head for a video game machine, expect Problems.

harrison was the white guy in charge of sony europe they paraded in front of western audiences, but the ps3 disaster was pretty much all ken kutaragi and the japanese management team building expensive, overcomplicated hardware with lovely software tools and thinking that it would succeed on brand recognition alone

the american and european arms of sony basically wound up salvaging the mess

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

anyone who actually turns on airplane mode at anytime while on a flight is a coward

killing ur battery to own the libs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my watch updates at -32768 Hz.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think you were using it seriously, but deriding anything as "for poors" is a bad look imo. Even if it's ironic.

Also you do work for Apple iirc and we had an apple guy come and give a talk about design a while back and he spent like a third of it needlessly dunking on Android (e.g. slide with 1000 different phone models on it: "this is why they can't have a good experience") rather than talking about good design, and made a bunch of elitist comments, so like, idk, corporate culture

he's not wrong though. on one side you have a combination of oems adding all sorts of garbage to stock android and then not updating things after 6-12 months and on the other you have those sub-$100 jankphones intended for the developing world where people have to save up for a $70 purchase. of course, that doesn't stop cheapskates above the equator from buying them and complaining about how bad they are. both of these are a recipe for an overall bad user experience

then again, they seem to still be working on un-loving the garbage userland they built 10+ years ago, so the os isn't entirely blameless. they somehow still have issues with audio latency despite working to fix it since the early days

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

~Coxy posted:

that's fine if they don't test other browsers
it's even fine is they say that Chome is the only browser supported

but blocking IE and presumably Firefox and Safari for no reason is bad.

does it actually work on firefox if you fake the user agent string?

i just assumed it needed some stadia specific functionality that only chome has

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Kins posted:

it's interesting and funny in that it'd be competing with google's own games platform in stadia, but the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is hardly new

and it's a separate storefront within google's walled garden, which i thought wasn't allowed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

3/4 of earth stuck indoors, video game, board game and jigsaw puzzle sales through the roof and still nobody wants it, that can't feel good

i'd give it a try if i didn't need to buy another controller and some special chromecast

as is though, lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

I recognize serious Sam because it was featured in a review on oldmanmurray that’s how out of touch with video games I am. has daikatana been released yet?

i recognize it because i played it when it came out. almost 20 years ago

stadia might still be better than apple arcade since at least some of the games don't look like the same clone of a unity tech demo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

i have many green bubble friends and many blue bubble friends i dont discriminate.

kids do though

https://twitter.com/BenBajarin/status/1162048581299163136?s=20

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SRQ posted:

is this also the google thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhyp_PQCOg

because loving lol stadia

it's still coming to pc, so what's the big deal?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

serious sam is a timed exclusive on stadia instead of a console people actally own.

devolver digital better hope that the game is really well recieved and people still want to buy it after the exclusivity period, because otherwise they're not getting those launch sales back.

i'm guessing the shipping container full of cash from google makes that irrelevant, like those indie games for which epic paid piles of cash for timed exclusivity ("we could cancel every preorder and still be rich"). gamers are manchildren with the memory of a goldfish, so you can kick them as much as you want because they'll forget about it as soon as you announce the sequel to some 30 year old game that they will jizz their pants over and buy no matter what in an effort to be transported back to their childhood

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nothing new really. since neither apple nor samsung are doing a card, they're just licensing their name, and indirectly their users, to be hosed over by financial institutions

the apple card is an actual credit card. this samsung thing is a debit card + online bank account, because nobody would extend broke android users a line of credit

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

horrible nerds have this weird desire to have one device that does everything, rather than a couple of devices that each do their individual task better. idk why. maybe it's like a star trek tricorder thing. maybe it's fomo. maybe just spec sheet anxiety.

see also: gaming laptops instead of a powerful desktop + a light notebook.

when something spontaneous happens, a decent-enough camera in your pocket is a lot more useful than a dslr in your car. also love to look like a japanese tourist from the 80s by walking around random cities with a huge camera

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

iphone 11 max with leica m4 35mm camera

phones are too loving big

now show them from the side

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

people who drag giant cameras everywhere are such loving dorks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dumped pulseaudio, wrapped alsa in a mandated more minimal api, wrote a new audio server (audioflinger) on top.

in other words, they took something that works and threw it out for some homerolled java garbage that had horrible latency. audio latency on android was abysmal for years and the issue was entirely in google's domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haha, "works"

i mean, now maybe, but in 2008 and the better part of the following decade pulseaudio, and even alsa itself, was a horrible clownshow.

if anything anyone serious about getting linux on the desktop would have done better to take aosp as the basis.

if you are going to copy anything in the audio domain, you copy coreaudio, which is basically what pipewire is doing now