Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

posted unironically in the android thread

Ola posted:

Surfing the web without ad block is like having a picnic next to a sewage pipe. Buying an ad supported phone is like sluicing the sewage directly into your kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

they're not wrong.

no they’re not except that android is an ad-driven operating system

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

the ribbon cable or whatever that connects the screen to the motherboard isn't gonna have enough play to allow a screen to be mounted in more than one orientation either

the short version is that it's not that some are leaving the factory with a panel in one orientation while others are 180 degrees from that, it's that they sources the same panels as the previous phone but designed the phone such that the panel is 180 degrees from that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

The latest s8 update made the ui really bad. If you dont want disapearing buttons you get this poo poo that never goes away. It also hosed with the colours, pretty sure it was black before.

How do I revert? Or atleast get rid of that annoying poo poo?
samsunged again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah but its camera is 1 better than the iphone 7's!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

how the gently caress does that get out of testing

....testing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/OnePlus_Support/status/883047144021798912

it's not our phone that's broken, it's actually your eyes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

deleted already. impressive
for posterity, i guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

should be noted that users are gonna have to learn korean to get that bixby xp because it still doesnt speak english

can it at least tell me the square root of 4?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Lol drat. Htc 10 with stock keyboard

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

htc is known for not *getting* customers

yeah their sales are nonexistent lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

from what i recall, google uses a mix of linux and macos (though probably biased to the former), with windows limited only to people working directly on windows projects

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

um it was just a mistake. no idea how they did it!

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/886867878594699264

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh wow it gets better

so, htc doesn't actually develop their own keyboard, and instead include third-party keyboard touchpal. apparently touchpal "accidentally" sent an update to include ads that "mistakenly" went to htc phones which are supposed to have the ad-free version

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cerv posted:

why does HTC even need to ship a keyboard? doesn't android come with a default one

there's a 100% chance they are being paid to do so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

My S3 died randomly yesterday so I went and bought a Samsung J3 because it was the cheapest phone available that wasn't used or a flip phone. I see that Samsung realized their default apps are loving trash and now its mostly Google stuff.

they don't do this on their flagship phones. they probably only do it on their cheap ones since they literally only put them out to sell mroe units

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

you mean the cupcake - eclair era.

thank you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when you level up lady bixby does she become more confident?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Badly laid out if you ask me, but there's more customization options, so you can really dial in your preference.
Supposedly they were going for an Apple style layout (no app drawer by default, but you can turn it back on), there's a lot of white menus, except they Androided it up.
It's a phone for spergs that really like fiddling with options until everything is juust the way they want it.

The in-house apps include a file manager, and a trashcan that holds apps for 24 hours before deleting them permanently, or you can empty it manually.
Bloatware included Facebook, Instagram, and Evernote. Disabling hides them.

Notification numbers next to icons won't go away if you just swipe the notification, you actually need to look at it in app, which is annoying if you like a really clean main screen.
No notification LED, which was one of my favorite N5 features, but it has double tap to wake, so there's that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my car is ultramarine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

100% of them do this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, toyota are the nerds, not me

in this specific case, anyway

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

and poor you forgot poor which is the key ingredient

every chinese phone does this and every time the reaction from both the tech press and the manufacturer is one of alarm and confusion as to how it could happen

:thunk:

i used to bump the dyp chinese phone thread every time it happened but then it got to the point where like the last three posts itt was me posting a link to a report about another chinese oem having backdoors and the thread just died lol

meanwhile the dyp idiots would continue to just wave their hands and say "well i have a xioamia and not a blu and i have to update with a new xda nightly every day so it's okay and hey i saved $20!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

So can cars that have Android Auto (is that what it's called?) get hacked or whatever? Like could your fuckin' car actually get infected with ransomware? I feel like this is a really dumb question and I guess it's really just an Android head unit, so it's not like the whole car would be affected
so carplay works in such a way that it's essentially just your iphone sending an interface to the head unit, and it's essentially just an overlay on top of the native interface. if android auto works the same, maybe, but it would be easier just to infect the phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

but enough about the f-35

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

lol go read ron amadeos write up of samsungs voice assistant bixby

its loving hilarious

heres a taste

with samsung you just never know if the feature was badly implemented or the hardware is broken i guess

spoilers: it's both

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yo lastinline what is with dyp constantly trying to find the next big thing that's not a nexus/pixel? they keep talking about the essential phone which costs just as much and has a stupid modular gimmick

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maybe essential will make a headphone jack module

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google launched a new version of android today, oreo.

by "launched" i of course mean, it's technically available if you want to janitor your phone by installing it via a computer and it's one the phones no one actually buys, which aren't even getting it ota yet. otherwise, it's not actually out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

literally garbage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Enter the beta, download and install O, leave the beta. It's very straightforward. I got the update literally 10 seconds after enrolling in the beta.
this is definitely easier than buying a phone taht has its updates available ota on the official launch day

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rickets posted:

I feel like the majority of the complaints in this thread are hardware/software issues from the so-called major brands and questions wondering when X phone will be supported by Y manufacturer (or, heaven forbid, the carrier).

My suggestion is people get themselves a less unique phone that uses more commonly supported components and is well loved by the modding community.

For example, the Galaxy S3 only received official updates to what, 4.4.4? Over on XDA you can find weekly 7.1.2 LineageOS builds..and it's still supported as an "official" LineageOS device so you can expect the updates to continue.

Unless, y'know, you like letting the carrier or manufacturer tell you when you get to use what software, and how.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i take my computer to the apple store, op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eric posted:

iyg was created because goons were getting mad when people would suggest buying an iPhone

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the number of dypers freaking out about verizon throttling video quality is incredible. i get the idea that the principle of the thing is bad, but they are making it sound like their life is over. do people really spend so much time streaming video over mobile data that this is a major negative in their lives?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Lol, it’s like four guys, and one of them is bullnumbers who seems to get outraged at the drop of a hat.

that guy minmaxes literally everything in his life

he rage quit his cell phone provider lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think it means it gets security updates

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I could see why you may think that, but supported status in this instance simply means you can download the factory image for it still

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol i remember google announcing colored notifications and saying that was going to be abused immediately. glad to see that come to fruition