Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the iphone 4 was the last exciting phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
why use the microphone and speakers in my phone when I can add microphones and speakers and wifi to every appliance i own!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

I'm not an "IT Guy" so I don't really concern myself or care about the processes and minutia that go about constructing the electronics I use in my daily life - but there is one simple truth that cannot be denied: Android is the best mobile telecommunications and entertainment platform around, bar none.

no android today can record 4k60fps enjoy your blurry videos

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
for 8k sure

4k60fps is consumer now, at least on an iphone and go pro

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

drat. i dont know about you goon but i sure do have a lot of files that i need to access and explore on my phone today. my phone being the optimal vehicle for file storage and exploration and whatnot.

if you have a better way to get music than downloading bittorrents off the piratebay on my phone and manually tagging each file I'd like to hear it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

heh can CRAPPLE pirate things yet? checkmate, scrub :smug:

there are ios bittorent clients on github

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

it's the same guy who founded oakley, he won't rest until everything is over-beveled ugly garbage with extra bold fonts

check out his brutalist house, who wouldnt want to come home to this

https://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/james-jannard-beverly-hills-residence-idgroup

Perplx fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 18, 2018

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SO DEMANDING posted:

:eyepop: this looks like something straight out of a bad 80s sci-fi action flick and I kind of like it

but lmao at the entire house being that way, that's gotta do a number on your head

he's a billionaire and own several islands, he's moved past themed rooms to themed houses

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
my coworker was complaining their phone need a 2.0 amp charger, exactly 2.0 any higher or lower and it doesn't work

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
just when you thought android couldn't suck any harder, it sends your dick pics to your mom

quote:

Samsung phones are spontaneously texting users’ photos to random contacts without their permission
By Ashley Carman@ashleyrcarman Jul 2, 2018, 4:43pm EDT

Bad news for Samsung phone owners: some devices are randomly sending your camera roll photos to your contacts without permission. As first spotted by Gizmodo, users are complaining about the issue on Reddit and the company’s official forums. One user says his phone sent all his photos to his girlfriend. The messages are being sent through Samsung’s default texting app Samsung Messages. According to reports, the Messages app does not even show users that files have been sent; many just find out after they get a response from the recipient of the random photos sent to them.

A Samsung spokesperson tells The Verge it’s “aware of the reports” and that its technical teams are “looking into it.” The forums indicate that Galaxy S9 and S9+ devices are affected, but may not be the only ones afflicted with the bug. Samsung is encouraging those experiencing this issue to call the company directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Some users are speculating that this issue has to do with the push of RCS messaging updates, including T-Mobile, which is the carrier for at least one of the affected phones. T-Mobile just issued its RCS update this week, starting with the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The messaging standard is supposed to make texting look more like chatting in a modern messaging app, complete with read receipts and typing indicators. When reached for comment, a T-Mobile spokesperson told The Verge to “check in with Samsung on this, it’s not a T-Mobile issue.”

For now, Samsung owners can revoke Samsung Message’s permissions to access storage to avoid the bug from sending their files out in the wild.

Update 7/2, 5:08 PM ET: This article initially stated that photos were sent over SMS, but it’s unclear how the photos are being sent. It’s more likely MMS messages or SMS with a link. We have also updated the story with a comment from T-Mobile.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I want a gnu free linux with the kernel built on clang, systemd and powershell just to piss rms off.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
retirement is boomer privilege

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

i had a nexus one that worked fine for several years, it was just really slow and stopped getting updates. google play services was the least reliable thing about it.

i had a nexus one and status bar was burned into the screen in less than a year, also the touch sensor was basically useless for the bottom 1cm of the screen

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
if you are already into janitoring your phone you might at well get the one with multiboot support and a keyboard because you will be debug mode 50% of the time

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
its kinda funny that binary drivers on an open source kernel is creating more e-waste than a fully closed source ecosystem

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
if they keep the chassis design after removing the notch it would save money because they could ruse thier cnc jigs

still there is no ender user benefit to the notch

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
putting the screen on the outside of the phone is better than the inside because then bend radius is larger

but i still expect that phone to break and get scratched when you breathe on it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
android OS choices:
stock os made by the oem good for 2 years maybe if you buy on launch day, still weeks/months behind google

jail broken community rom compiled nightly, must wade neck beard deep in forums to know what phone to get and what’s currently broken

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i'm the core os without "DHCP Client"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
they should put 2 usb-c ports on a phone, then everyone would shut up

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool if google made an imessage clone but they don't have the balls to make end to end encryption the default for 3 billion people.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also facebook will make a shadow profile for you anyways, it will recognize your face in other peoples pictures and those pictures will be geotagged.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

it hypothetically means carrying one less charger. instead of bringing another wireless charger for whatever, you can plug in your phone and charge your shaver on it while it charges off the plug. it's a pretty minor use though

then buy a charger with multiple ports, but i guess it would still save 1 cable

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i just noticed https://dns.google/ is a valid site, how long has .google been a thing?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
finally, i'm always staring at the side of my phone wishing it was a screen too

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
he's using it wrong, you're suppose use google fiber

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
the dreamcast at least had the best port of a few titles
stadia sucks for all titles at least until they release a 1000 player battle royale game

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
you need all those cameras to be as good as a $100 point and shoot

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
the idea of watching a live stream on youtube then joining the actual game with a single click on non gaming computer is a pretty good one
but google gonna google

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i rather be 3 generations behind on hardware than have a samsung

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i use the free weather app made by my government

i guess the us doesn't have that? lol what a shithole

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
ya 5 years is pushing it, android is closer to a 3 year old iphone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

the ios awful app is one of the best apps on the app store, for real. and has been a staple for me since i was using my og ipad 1. 2nd place is tiny wings.app

ehh it would be better if the header and footer disappeared while scrolling

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i trying to imagine a search engine startup now a days, the server costs would be insane, google had a million servers 10 years ago

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
couldn’t you just plug a $120 elgato cam link into any android?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

patched android is likely at least as secure as ios, at least exploit prices tilt that way (both browser escapes and full zero-clicks remain more expensive for android than ios).

you have specify that only applies stock android, your oem will do something stupid like mount the filesystem without acl, load unsigned device drivers or add your phone number to the useragent of your browser

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
stadia could have been good, but it needed a RDR2 level killer app and lol at google spending 5+ years on anything

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
maybe oems will make less skus now

just checked Samsung, listed over 25 models

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
the only rooted android feature thats even halfway useful for normal people is call recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If Google voice had seamless iMessage like messaging to other Google voice users it would actually be better than iMessage because every user would be guaranteed to have phone number and it would follow you even if you left the country. Add in some spam blocking that att would never do and it could of been the defacto messenger and telephony provider.