Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

please dont post my desktop

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Blue Train posted:

blob emoji were good. material design is good. android is good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You also can't easily access multiple cameras on a single device but I think they're fixing that soon

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my pixel is ok. it has rebooted on me before though. maybe once or twice.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sadly im an Android developer for work so I use one for my personal phone

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jeff Anderson, the guy who plays Randal Graves, moved into a retirement community at the ripe old age of 40. He pulled out of filming Clerks 3 to instead do nothing.

wikipedia posted:

On September 14, 2010, Anderson made his first appearance on Smith's SModcast filling in for Scott Mosier on SModcast #134. In his podcast, Anderson stated he had moved out of Los Angeles and into a "retirement community in the mountains" where he is "the youngest person there by 20 years."

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sounds pretty good to be honest. better than programming android phones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah it's great, I just wish my stupid MacBook wasn't exclusively USB c

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got a sick razer gaming phone at work for a test device. I can confidently say that no one should own one, it's huge and the corner of it scratched the screen of an OG pixel I had in my pocket with it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use a 1st gen pixel

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna keep using my regular wired headphones till I die. I barely remember to charge my phone, I definitely don't want to charge my headphones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't care for the gesture nav. It screws up apps with the left hamburger menu

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

folding screens are stupid. if they can make a screen that can fold in half, i want one that rolls out of the side like i'm unfurling a blueprint. and it should retract like a pull-down blind rolling up into its housing.

Digital Torah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Comes with a stylus shaped like a pointing hand of course

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my old job gave me a Chromecast so I could implement it in our app but then I got a new boss who told me to toss the feature. It's not that much work to hook your poo poo up to it though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao I have to admire the commitment to the most hated joke on the forums

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

me: i miss physical keyboard phones

*monkeys paw finger closes*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have some friends that work on cox too. they sometimes even gigablast it for you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used an LG monitor for a long time, and also had a great LG phone for a teenager to own

the ENV2

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they had some computers talk to each other. one was a paper plane

so no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have one of the 100x zoom gimmick phones and it's pretty cool. this dock is a mile away I think

it also has a high megapixel setting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the web browser rendering stuff is even worse unless you're just making straight up mobile websites. it's all the same garbage of the api changes coupled with another layer of terrible "bridge" adapters :suicide:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this is the first time in like 6 years i haven't been working as an android dev during google io and i am completely ignoring it :c00l:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Smythe posted:

ive never gotten asked for "zelle" info from anyone under 900 years old or supremely stupid IRL

lol yes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the android awful app is pretty dece but you can't start threads with it lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love the back button. i also ahve the s21 bigphone and the size was annoying at first but ive grown to like it :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

disclaimer: i get paid big bux to write andriod apps so i use the phone to keep up with it. i don't really have any complaints about the iphone they're fine phones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the android awful app has built in imgur upload, does the iOS one? it's really nice

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Endless Mike posted:

it does but the api gets overloaded or whatever so your chances of it actually working is not great!

works on my machine :smugdog:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FlapYoJacks posted:

Oh no! We are one of the largest and richest companies on earth! We couldn’t possibly support a device for more than 3 years!

that's right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my android takes good pix

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

alas, it was a Google product

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Odsblood! I accidentally cancelled stadia by mistake.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i thought google music died like a decade ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have an Android but it's because I forsake myself and started programming them for money. Don't cry for me, I'm already dead

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

He means physically, in grams (g)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I interviewed at the goog and did well on 4/5 of the interview loops; the one I did bad on was someone asking me about a bunch of web stuff and doing a generally bad job of interviewing me. I'm not a web dev and was applying for a android job. They've asked me to try again a bunch of times but eh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Management posted:

tell your recruiter that this specific interviewer was interviewing you for the wrong thing, where you had no experience.

Meh it was a couple years ago now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ya I tried it out w my phone in whatever thread we discussed it in earlier and it doesn't just paste a moon it moonifies the image with some AI fitting or w/e. I did the thing where you take a pic of a fake moon with something drawn on it and my drawing was there in the final "replaced" image :shrug: