Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sort of related, this medium article has a really good paragraph in it. it concerns british tv comedy but it's applicable to drat near everything

quote:

And dear god, please stop shoving ‘feminist’ or ‘diverse’ tropes over comedy just for the sake of appealing to the youth of today. You are awful at it. If you have a ‘strong’ female character, you make her so perfect she becomes incredibly boring and unrealistic.... Same goes with your badly written token gay, black or disabled characters. If they don’t have anything funny or interesting about them, they just fade into the pedestal of why. And then -thanks to you- people say women/black people/gay people/disabled people aren’t funny or are two dimensional. Thanks a lot, representation.
https://medium.com/@madelainehanson/what-went-so-wrong-for-british-comedy-e1826c4ef87f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

which naive idiot itt said that idpol assholes would be backing off for a week before going back to the tired "economic inequality is for the most privileged and well-off group of society" trope?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you guys, i can't get enough of the second paragraph of this article about white supremacists using the Detroit Red Wings logo. look at it

quote:

Many of them carried tiki torches, an item that was popularized in the 20th century as so many things are by white Americans: By misappropriating another culture’s iconography and artifacts in an unending Borg-like quest for assimilation, and then selling them at Party City.
it's so ironic and blisteringly tone deaf that it gets more beautiful every time you look at it and realize that it's in an article about people who want racial segregation

it's a good article otherwise but goddamn, dude

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

breaklaw posted:

I haven't seen a number higher than 200. Seems like reports are trying to make it look bigger than it was, but that one pic of them on campus was all of them. There were probably more counter protesters there on the second day.
even when we're dealing with explicit white supremacists, the media can't help but do its job of overblowing their numbers by several hundred percent, while counter-protesters get ignored and written off

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry, even after Charlottesville, #NoConfederate is still a stupid movement

it's only appropriate that a medium site called "The Establishment" is home of some of the dumbest essays that you'll find on the wasteland that is the internet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

This guy is the darling of resistor liberals and #NeverTrump Republicans

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/897117570360389632
slava fetisov won 3 stanley cups with the detroit red wings and is a high-level confidant of putin, therefore he gave the neo-nazis permission to use his former team's logo. wake up sheeple :tinfoil:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zas posted:

hehehe
replace "local" with "hollywood" and you have most people in entertainment today

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my grandma hated the ACLU until the day she died after they defended the skokie nazi marches. they do a lot more good than bad, but i can't blame you for not giving them the time of day over these things and citizens united (which they also supported for some reason)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

call to action posted:

What's wrong with being a dudebro anyways, is that like the male version of bimbo or something
it's the buzzfeed dems' attempt at coming up with a racial slur for white males. as you might imagine, it isn't working

the female equivalent is "bitch"

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Aug 15, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the ACLU has historically stood up for free speech absolutism, regardless of who's doing it. at this point, it would be good if they picked their battles wisely and put the neo-nazis and white supremacists way down on their list, if they put them there at all. the fact that they were blatantly the criminals in this situation and not the left-wing protesters makes this a much easier thing to do

call to action posted:

And it's pretty obvious that that's what they're going for, but it's just sorta weird to have woke people criticizing me for the circumstances of me being male when i was born. I'm no migtow but having my gender be a synonym for bad is questionable
the rationale is that this is ok because white males are not an oppressed group and it's only fair to "punch up." it's based on a perverse kind of social justice that aims to bring more privileged people down instead of lifting more oppressed people up

a good example: when dylann storm roof (the black church shooter) got burger king when he was in police custody, people get enraged because he got special treatment. true social justice isn't saying "he should face the same punishment as black people in custody," it's saying "everyone kept in custody deserves to be treated humanely"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

everybody knows that crowdfunded doxxing worked out very well when reddit tried to identify the boston marathon bomber

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I can't tell what level of irony this thread is operating on but I'm about to destroy it.
this thread is usually good at ending derails after someone posts an example of "haha look at this idiot." i am disappointed

i posted this before but it got ignored, so i'll give it another go:

sorry, but #NoConfederacy is still a dumb idea even after Charlottesville. and stop prematurely anointing Black America as a woke counterweight to the problematic Confederacy when neither show has even started filming yet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

time for everyone's favorite game, "guess that subreddit"

it's r/libertarian
i thought libertarians loved shadowy figures covertly funding astroturf groups

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

A large part of Vox Media is built off exploiting people? I'm shocked.

http://deadspin.com/how-sb-nation-profits-off-an-army-of-exploited-workers-1797653841
SB Nation has gotten tedious to read ever since vox media took it over and turned it into just another website that cranks out thinkpieces about the same subjects every day, and practices like this are par for the course in online media. that being said, i'm surprised deadspin's glass house isn't completely shattered with all the rocks they've thrown in it ever since tommy craggs took over. fellow univision property av club has gone full bore on saying "lolno" to permanent staff

deadspin was good at taking bleacher report to task for being clickbait and SEO manipulators. since then, that site's gotten better and deadspin published an article called "Shut Up About Clickbait." at least they've still got Drew Magary

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Aug 17, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

man, that's an incredibly mean, snobbish, and condescending thing to say to people. the problem with kaepernick articles- and thinkpieces in general- is that none of them say anything new. if you've read one of them, you've read them all. the entire reason i read and participated on SB Nation was because it was fun and didn't have articles like these all the time, which was a refreshing change of pace from post-craggs Deadspin. then vox took over, kaepernick happened, it got less fun, and i haven't been on for months (although the last straw was that eye-searingly awful redesign in his screenshot)

it's not even about divorcing sports from politics, it's about not being tedious to read. but if you want a site like that for sports, movies, tv, music, video games, etc., you're out of luck. they don't exist anymore

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Before he took the knee there was talks about him being cut. He got beat out by Blaine loving Gabbert for the starting job.

He also didn't vote in the election.
my first reaction when kaep did the protest was, "i support what he did, but it's not like he has anything to lose." he was godawful the year before and a shell of the guy who led the niners to the super bowl and almost won it

also fuckin :laffo: that he didn't vote. come on, dude

FuzzySkinner posted:

When I wanted to read/watch something serious about the politics involving sports? I generally would read an article from Sports Illustrated, watch "Outside the Lines" or "Real Sports". All were generally great for that sort of thing. Hell, even Keith Olbermann when he had a show would knock it out the park.

The stuff that we're discussing is bottom of the barrel 24 hour news clickbait tabloid garbage.
there's a ton of interesting intersections between sports and politics that you can write about. take Ilya Kovalchuk. he hosed over the NJ Devils for the second time in his career (and will burn in hell because of it) so he could play for one more year in the russian hockey league for a St. Petersburg team that's owned by the owner of Gazprom, who's a Putin lackey. he also gets to play in the Winter Olympics due to the NHL not attending, so he'll be paraded as a point of national pride. he's almost certainly going to make less money next season than if he got signed and traded away, but he doesn't give a poo poo, he gets to have a victory lap in a sport that's only been used to promote national pride in the post-soviet era for a little less than a decade

there's also the transfer deal that Neymar signed to leave Barcelona for a Parisian club owned by the Qatari royal family. it's hosed up for several reasons, not the least of which is his 2022 World Cup ambassadorship to skirt french tax law

you can write some incredible articles about these things, but it's much easier to write the same scolding poo poo about kaepernick for the millionth time. there's no effort in crapping them out

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Aug 17, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

There is a new Barcelona drama brewing as well that the president of the club is using club money to pay bribes to Chinese business men as a way of smoothing out deals over there

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/barcelona-threaten-legal-action-over-paulinho-deal-allegations
bartomeu also allowed the Qatar Foundation, the chartiable-ish arm of the absolutist royal family there with numerous human rights violations to their name, to be Barca's front shirt sponsor. before that, their front sponsor was UNICEF (they were then relegated to the bottom of the shirt's back), and before that, there weren't any shirt sponsors because they were one of the last holdouts among big-name clubs. their front sponsor is now Qatar Airlines

many people would read these kinds of articles, and well-written sports analysis in general. These Football Times is a great site, but it only focuses on soccer. Grantland did a good job of writing fascinating sports articles, but it's defunct and The Ringer is a poor substitute. you'd think someone would step up to the plate (appropriate pun) for sports. ditto pop culture and music (goons have already mentioned a couple of video game sites)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Moore as well. He even had articles dating back to 2009-2010 talking about how the Dems could have "harvested the grapes of wrath" of the recession, and they missed their chance. He described how he was worried that it would be coming from the right, not the left.
michael moore is a self-aggrandizing loudmouth, and he talked about how his new broadway show would "beat trump with satire," which is explicitly saying what late night TV and lots of entertainment is already doing. nonetheless, he knows his poo poo about the rust belt. if obama proposed a second new deal with some improvements over the one that schumer has recently outlined, he'd have created a decades-long political legacy like FDR did

Chieves posted:

My favorite part about Vox sites are how literally each one of them have a Game of Thrones article every week.
SB Nation has someone who does recaps of The Bachelor(ette) after every episode. the sad part? they're more entertaining to read than most of the articles that have posted there ever since Vox took over and sucked all the fun out of it

sword_man.gif posted:

actually, it's your fault for not getting off your rear end and doing hillary's campaign for her

tell that to the union guys who got told directly by hillary campaign HQ to not go to michigan even though they were already on their way. even bill clinton told them to stop campaigning so stupidly

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lee fang is a good writer and isn't an establishment lib, but political violence doesn't bring out his best side

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

The current DNC has no interest in using him as an icon and it's bullshit.
schumer's proposed economic plan is pretty much a direct continuation of the new deal, both good (about $1 trillion on infrastructure overhaul, paid family and sick leave) and bad (lots of vague stuff about the future of jobs, nothing about healthcare except for fighting prescription drug coverage). he even called it "The Better Deal." tom perez is on board with it too, if the ten seconds of CNN i caught where he was talking about the prescription drug plank and peter daou's insane rantings are any indication

however, i can easily imagine most of the DNC apparatchiks actively ignoring it. a party chair doesn't have much power, after all

new content: i posted this woke moron's status on charlottesville in the "hottest take" thread. not surprisingly, she's all idpol all the way. she was furious about time magazine's article about how BLM isn't a hate group because they had the audacity to explain things to people who don't understand, and she also said this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember when fox sports 1 was going to our escape from ESPN's rotating cast of loud assholes? good times

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm so sorry that you made the conscious decision to be a browns fan

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

kinda telling that howard dean, ex-dnc chair and staunch defender of "we did nothing wrong in 2016," gets more airtime on MSNBC than tom perez, current dnc chair who's at least figured out that there's gotta be some economic message even though the one he sponsors isn't as left as it would be if ellison were there instead. it justifies what i said about how a good deal of the party will want to ignore him and schumer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

i am prostrate. i kneel before you beseeching you. please forgive me my chomsky idol worship

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't give a poo poo about totalbiscuit or anything about you-know-what, but it's pretty funny that he was making GBS threads blood for a while, ignored it, then went to a doctor months later and found out he had rear end cancer that could have been more easily treated had he decided to see one earlier
"How [insert website name here] Exploited Social Justice For Clicks"

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Aug 24, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my view on punching nazis: i agree with the "it's good" crowd while also realizing that a lot of them are doing it for the clapter instead of any actual belief in things. that's the first and last thing i'll say about it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

staying true to my word, i got an email from medium this morning urging me to read a group of articles. i didn't get past the first one, provocatively titled "10 Reasons Why Bernie Sanders Must Be Stopped." googling tells me that this is all he's written about on medium for a while and that this is his twitter bio

not even a blue checkmark to his name, but give it time

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That avvy goddamn
it's like if thomas kinkaide and that right-wing painter from utah who explains every element to his works had a forbidden neoliberal love child

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm so tired of this surface-level political analysis applied to everything in existence, in this case Mayweather/MacGregor

quote:

If you look at this on a social dynamic, not only is Floyd Mayweather fighting for the survival of boxing, and to prove that boxing is a superior sport over MMA. I think, he’s also fighting for victory for blacks and Latinos, who primarily watch boxing, over blue-collar, white Americans who watch mixed martial arts. On the other side, you have people who hate brash, African-American boxers, and have labeled them as all flash, and they’re rooting for a guy who says he’s mastered numerous styles of fighting, in Conor McGregor.

Now this is bigger than a fight, or the supremacy of one sport, or the legacy of a boxer, or the legacy of MMA as a sport. When you look at the racial environment, now it’s black versus white. Now it’s Donald Trump supporters versus people of color.
personally i don't want to watch it because it'll be 12 rounds of boring crap with a decision to Mayweather

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's pretty bad but boxing fans are pretty racist

or at least ethnocentric if i put it charitably
you can write a good article about how McGregor/Mayweather is (or was, since it's finished) a continuation of the tensions between white and black boxers and the fans who cheer for them. people freaked the gently caress out about Joe Louis's domination back in the day, and they freaked out even more when Muhammad Ali proved he wasn't going to tone down what he said for the approval of white society

saying "this fight represents Trump supporters vs. PoC" is the laziest opinion

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's seems like there's more effort to racialize the fight ex post facto than leading up to it.
boxing's been a battleground for racial supremacy going back decades, that's why you could write something actually meaningful about it than just Generic Trump's America Comparison #48932. crane fist's point is fair so you gotta be cautious in writing it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Actually, nah.
that's a good graph. i'd be surprised NHL is that far right due to the geography of its biggest fans in the midwest and northeast, but then again, white people

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a sports site mostly based in canada called The Athletic, where you pay a few bucks a month to read good sports articles written by people who have been fired from tv or online media companies. i want somebody to bring that model to pop culture writing because this poo poo is getting out of hand. the words "most important blow job" should not be written or spoken ever

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does it show jizz or something.
yes. depending on who you ask, that's why it's important or problematic, the only two things pop culture can be

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

So despite what it looks like, this means Japanese adult video is a vanguard in the fight for equality?
yes, it's very respectful towards women in that way

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

piers morgan is too easy to post here but hot drat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

Thomas Frank asked 'What's the matter with Kansas?' and I think this is the answer

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article172428172.html
never forget that one of new hampshire's 8000 state representatives was forced to resign after it came out that he created r/theredpill. and i'm pretty sure a democrat won the special election for his seat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an unexpected source one-upped hillary clinton on the vegas shooting

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/914863875979345922

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it sounds bad to left wingers but it's pretty clearly aimed at pre-empting the 'libs are gun-fearing girly men' culture wars line, buttigeig is an indiana dem and a guarantee it plays better in south bend than in brooklyn
counterpoint: joy-ann reid retweeted it

• Locked thread