Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

wicka posted:

I hope he gets stage 3.

Thanks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

WindyMan posted:

A win only guarantees safe passage to the next round of races. After you advance to the next round the wins reset, and you either have to win another race or be up on points. Points do not reset and carry through to the end.

Although I'm confused here: Do we not accrue playoff points anymore? Just stage and finish points and that's it?

https://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/1/23/fast-facts-questions-2017-race-format-enhancements.html

You can get more points for later rounds by winning stages/races, yes.

Points "reset" between those who advance and they get ALL bonus points accrued for each round. So Truex gets the 50-60 bonus points for all rounds but Homestead

They will have to spend at least 30 minutes every race explaining this poo poo.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Ah, sponsor drama :allears:

Petty
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/907697278042783744

Smithfield
https://twitter.com/SmithfieldFoods/status/907721974306177024

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

With that reasoning we could put the turn 4 wall at Daytona into the HoF. It definitely put NASCAR in front of a lot of eyes.

:wow:

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Danica's going to get in the Hall of Fame for being a trailblazer and pioneer for women in racing!"

...who rode a wave of ESPN-induced hype she herself eventually bought into, creating an egotistical twat obsessed with her own brand, who made a career out of (to her credit) a tremendous mastery of how to work sponsors and the media, eventually garnering a sponsor who would back anything she wanted to do, won one race in her entire career on a fluke, transitioned to NASCAR and accomplished nothing with JRM dba Hendrick and SHR other than knock down a bunch of walls, and whose career in NASCAR ended, ironically enough, because she couldn't find a sponsor.

If anything, she made it harder for women to succeed in NASCAR because, if she really were a pathfinder, Johanna Long would have a ride but she wasn't hot enough or something and never got anything more than that #70 car in NXS. I literally can't name a female driver anywhere in the NASCAR ladder right now other than Kenzie Ruston.

Oh, and she'll be first-ballot because we're a country, culture, and world which worships celebrity while some guy who actually won races will get passed over.

Please rename CBJ to "Daytona Inside Wall"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It's the appropriately matching quality to the game.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Must have been a great race with all the posting going on.

We talked about everything but the race over in the Discord

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Lastcar partaking in a race to the bottom?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yates_Doug/status/915042363705298944

What a week.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

It would be nice if they had someone like Mike Pereira.

Wouldn't matter, even an equivalent NASCAR type would sound like Pereira does anytime he's trying to describe what a "catch" is thanks to NASCARs loose interpretation of it's own rules.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

:lol: restrictor plates. Slow the cars down for "safety" by bunching them up.

Last time they unrestricted a car for a test run at Talladega, it got up to 230. That was 13 years ago. Not entirely sure how much the power difference has changed or what it'd hit now, but if it were similar still, you're talking about 240-250 in the draft, that's a 50% increase in kinetic energy.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/rusty-runs-unrestricted-car-news

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

In case you're curious about what captain checkmark is referencing

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-Sprint-Cup/News/Articles/2017/10/Opinion-Rules-of-the-Game.aspx

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Denny's move was fine last week, Chase's was fine this week. That's short track racing and good bump and runs. Kenseth intentionally and as hard as possible taking out Logano last year was dangerous hometrack BS. I want to see Cindric taken out next week, but if he's intentionally Arca braked into the wall, I'll be critical of it.

21 being without a ride feels abnormally high, but not terribly concerning on it's own, the bigger problem is that so many of them have been those who were in top half rides. I don't know who is and isn't in rides next year across all three series, but the turnover numbers for to 50% rides would be far more interesting to compare.

The whole chase, stages, and media aspect are all kind of tied together in the self inflicted damage they are doing though. During the "good years", the product was the on track racing. There were occasional week to week storylines, and when the points happened to align right towards the end of the year, it was some bonus extra drama that felt more natural. There was almost always some real racing going on somewhere in the field, and it was shown on tv and was the primary focus. Go watch some races from the 90s and keep track of how much they're showing/talking about racing, compared to "plotlines". I couldn't have cared less about who was racing the Busch or Truck series, it was still fun to watch.

Compare to today, the on track racing is average to bad (an improvement this year over unwatchable of the last 10ish years) in Cup and Xfinity, Trucks are decent to good. The tv coverage is atrocious just from presentation aspect, no more wide angle shots, just super close ups made even worse by constantly using at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen for graphics. And then the announcing is less about what's presently going on around the track and mostly just rambling about storyline after storyline and trying to hype up drama (This I can partially defend as there often now isn't any real racing going on). But while I'll agree the Chase and stages have achieved their purpose of creating additional drama for entertainment, that's a completely fabricated source of it. Unless they're planning on putting the series onto TMZ, selling constant never ending "drama" and plotlines are a quick easy way to lose viewers in the longterm. Drama's only good when it's sporadic and natural.

Football isn't much fun to watch when a game is bad, and if all they have to talk about is x story and y story for minutes at a time, people turn it off. Unless they want to go full WWE and script the races, they need to cut the bullshit and get the actual product of the racing good. Without a good racing product, you only get fans following their drivers to stick around, and those who will be entertained about your weird rear end points system until the novelty wears off. And since so many big names are retiring, and novelty doesn't last long, fans are going to continue to hemorrhage.

The financial issues aren't really terribly important necessarily. I don't have or know where the numbers could be pulled from, but they still are probably not below mid 80s/early 90s financials still. All it means is a loss of parity, which again, isn't a major problem if you have pockets of actual racing. NASCAR themselves are making it a bigger issue purely by poaching any and every sponsor they can, that's the real problem that loss of money is going to impact if teams can't get anyone because NASCAR took them already.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It's been better by far, but decent?

The tires are still atrocious, they need more falloff.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Harveygod posted:

I'd be fine with stages. I finally gave up when the went to playoffs and way overemphasized the championship.

Basically this. Stages are a decent idea on their own, and they were fine for the first 26 races. But it makes the whole playoff fuckiness even more hosed. It was one thing when having a problem in a chase race and drop 20-30 points. But with stages, you can now have a problem early in a race, and instead of dropping 20 and it being very hard to make that up, but instead can easily lose 40 or more points and it be all but impossible. Which, as someone pointed out, means one bit of poor luck and timing and season over.

Which, ok, Football playoffs you have one bad game and playoff over as well. But the 49ers aren't making the playoffs just because they won a single game either. Also, one single bad play doesn't mean the game is automatically lost either.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

iospace posted:

Dale and Dale Jr?

Jr. 23.6% T5, 41.2% T10
Daddy 41.5% T5, 63.3% T10

More for shits and giggles
R Petty 46.8% T5, 60.1% T10
Martin 30.7% T5, 51.3% T10
B Allison 46.7% T5, 62.1% T10
D Allison 34.5% T5, 48.1% T10

And to trigger some people
KyBu Cup 34.8% T5, 52.1% T10
KyBu Busch 61.5% T5, 72.1% T10
KyBu Truck 63.5% T5, 78.5% T10

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

wicka posted:

When it’s on purpose it’s murder.

Ehh, probably closer to manslaughter

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Jerry Jones owning a team would've killed NASCAR by 2010.

On the bright side, Jerry would have absolutely demolished France

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

I feel like there's a joke to be made here, but I'm too tired to make it.

https://jalopnik.com/guy-jailed-for-swindling-25m-was-trying-to-fund-kid-in-1821165427

"Is this a white collar crime or a blue collar crime?" Was a pretty good one.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://youtu.be/deV_w6cwz-k

Ken Alexander

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

fuseshock posted:

He is old as gently caress and she is 32. I had no idea he even remarried, apparently Patty got Parkinsons and divorced shortly after.

He's 57, his kids are 35 and 32 :gonk: Adam would be 37

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Here's a nice short one for you then. At what point has Danica ever struck ANYONE as a person passionate and in love with racing for itself? She doesn't buschwhack, I don't recall ever hearing her go to some random local track to go race, almost every interview is either her talking about her brand, herself, or whomever wrecked her, rarely does she ever talk about racing itself at any length. It's always seemed far more her means to her end, rather than the other way around like most racers.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

wicka posted:

You mean other than dedicating literally her entire life to it?

Dedication is not passion and enjoyment, try again. (Optionally, don't)

vvv-She is the one we are talking about here. There's multiple other drivers the same can be said about, and surprise, they all also retired pretty early.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 6, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Then cut the bullshit. No one is saying they hate her. No one has said it would be unique to her only. You have made far more posts than anyone else about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Oh, that looks more exciting :geno:

• Locked thread