Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I mean that's probably fair. the syntax is rubyesque, but it doesn't /have the insanity of ruby. it has some flaws but it's way way better than ruby and coffee script because at its core it's a sane language.

i like it more than erlang just because of the pipe operator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

still p. surprising to be i 2017 and sort of have to conclude that erlang made it. not a huge thing, but popular enough in serious enough circumstances that it is a platform you don't have to be too weary to build something of value on

half the reason erlang seems that way is because most of the unserious hipster dabblers went from ruby to node and then golang

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

elixir is just a bunch of hardcore ruby apologists

you're just pissed because a brazilian firm stole your job once

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

if someone can't factor a lovely codebase then why are they even in the industry

i mean we've heard about the sprawling functions.php file, am I really supposed to believe that it's impossible to sort that out with modern vc tools

once you use the php refactoring tool "rm" you might as well not reimplement the same poo poo in php

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

this isn't bikeshedding. choosing a language that nobody uses is a legitimate maintenance issue. when the original developer gets a girlfriend and stops working in it, hiring someone new that knows the language and is willing to put up with lowtax and goons is going to be nearly impossible.

perhaps if there was something in between lowest common denominator impossible to use right php and cool people only elixir

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

elixir is not weird in any way though, it is less controversial than go when it comes to just about anyone being able to pick it up and make a patch if the need arises. the functional nature is the biggest sticking issue, but it is hardly haskell or even f# levels of complex

it may not be the best choice, but it is not a bad enough one that the codebase will be left stranded for *that* reason

you can mostly write phoenix like rails, since elixir jettisons the erlang "oh each variable can only be assigned once" thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

a forum is not hard to write. the main technical challenge is scaling. making it work for a ton of concurrent users is tough. the more features you add, the harder it is to scale. which brings us to the main non-technical problem, that the new forum must support every bizarre feature of this crap pile or else the sound of bitching will be deafening.

so really, the technical challenge is us

scaling isn't a challenge if you spend time before writing code to think about what gets hit a lot, and what you need to index and/or denormalize; if you're a php user or someone who just learned a good mvc stack (rails) you won't think about that, and instead write slow janky garbage

you're spot on about the real problem though: users obsess over forums

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

jfc, how hard is it to do a sql dump?

it ain't but translating similar schema from one app's to another can actually be a huge mission

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

that's certainly true but you would have to do that whether you're going from a sql dump or a scraped rendered output.

doing it from live sql tables is going to be easiest, but not easy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

trilljester posted:

I imagine the data mapping between source and destination DB would be the hardest part. Then again, Xenforo guys should be able to do that if Lowtax forks over some cash.

it's the only part, lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

pyf is exactly what the average internet user wants tho

there's a thread for cute animal pictures

a thread for mocking stupid people

a thread for memes

a thread for the crazy thing your aunt just said on facebook!

like ten different threads for posting the thing you just bought/played/watched/ate/hosed/etc

it's exactly what people want

it's append only too so you don't have to burden yourself with reading either

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

George posted:

lol i thought this was the esr thread for a second

if you hired esr you'd have to make the non-disparagement clause "don't tell anyone you worked here"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SmokaDustbowl posted:

every time I get probated it's just a single dipshit with 40 anime wall scrolls posting 80 animes in a row

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Linguica posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I have gotten used to @mentions and "like"s on forums and miss them when they don't exist

:yeah:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

muckswirler posted:

Ahhh yes Seth "Jeremy Piven" MacFarlane.

It just occurred to me that animators who perform voices on their own shows are all horrible assholes. Some of the output is good but they always ouroboros themselves sucking their own dicks so hard.

See also: Roiland, John K, Trey and Matt, etc.

counterpoint: brad Neely of china il

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

some people say yes, others no

he may be some kind of libtard but he makes me laugh

idiocracy is kind of pro-eugenics

but sv is good e: although its portrayal of gender and race issues in sv is kinda problematic too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

it doesn't matter what logical arguments you make for an increased minimum wage. the people who are against it are operating purely on greed and/or spite and so don't respond to logic or empathy

like, people will come right out and tell you that they don't' think the minimum wage should be increased because then a burger cook would be making the same amount per hour as they currently do as an office drone or w/e, and the idea of someone who makes hamburgers being paid the same as them is just abhorrent

especially if the minimum wage person is being compared with soldiers

note that the kind of rear end in a top hat who gets mad at that would never suggest saving the money spent on foreign wars to spend on veterans, let alone public infrastructure, health care, or teachers

• Locked thread