Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did anyone say Armin Tamzarian yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Because I love Stargate I watched the (S17E17) episode "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore".

And loved it, I laughed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Stargate episode is in season 17, and I laughed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I legit randomly chuckle thinking about The Simpsons clip show.

HI! I'm Troy McClure!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

porfiria posted:

I've always thought it was weird Murphy Brown doesn't seem to have the same ongoing cultural cachet a lot of other long running shows airing around that time have. Like, people will still bring up Married with Children or Cheers or even fuckin' Wings. I wonder why that is?

Them taking the piss out of Dan Quayle rings some bells.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Americans need to be pandered to unlike smarty-pants UK people.

No British comedies ever went super mainstream in the US, especially if it's in any way topical. And no, running on PBS doesn't count as mainstream. I'm talking something an electrician would watch. Nobody gets off work, grabs a bud light, and puts on keeping up appearances.

I'll argue Monty Python did go mainstream and John G Workerguy may have watched on PBS in the 70's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Americans know Monty python because of their many movies and not because of the flying circus, or any of the shows that they spawned.

And anyway only nerds knew Monty python (even referenced in the Simpsons).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average American who was more than just passingly familiar with British humor in the 90s, let alone today.

I watched Monty Python with my dad in the early 80's. No idea how he found it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

Look apparently I had the worst take ever but "my dad liked Monty python in the 80s" is kinda my point - holy Grail was like 1974 or something and the flying circus was from the 60s. Americans weren't aware of Monty python until long after their heydey. The Mr bean show only had one season, for crying out loud, and it was popular because there were like no topical references at all. He was silent. Mr bean was super popular the world over precisely because it was pure physical comedy and kinda fits my point exactly - Americans no like British references the way British people apparently don't mind American references, and are in general far more aware of American pop culture than we are of British pop culture.

All I'm saying is classic Simpsons just doesn't resonate with modern audiences quite as much anymore because it looks and sounds very dated compared to modern animated comedies, and American TV in general.

Classic Simpsons was very much a "smart" show that could be enjoyed by average people because it made references average people could get at the time.

I mean that's what we're saying - zombie Simpsons makes references to stuff just because, but then, unlike classic Simpsons, they forget to include any actual jokes that classic Simpsons had.

Like classic Simpsons definitely had random references appropos of nothing, but in the context of the jokes they tended to either enhance the jokes or were just funny or silly on their own.

Nowadays it's all random references and there aren't that many actual, like, setup-punchline jokes.

Idk maybe I'm crazy. I guess I'm horribly out of touch at the ripe old age of 35.

I hear you brother. I haven't seen a new Simpsons episode in like 20 years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Go back and revisit ANY comedy sketch show from any time period and you’ll find that each and every one is 10% memorable comedy gold and 90% stupid time filler and badly dated references. They all suck when you revisit them.

Except for The Kids in the Hall. The Kids in the Hall will always be eternally good :colbert:

NuSimpsons is nothing more than a Friedberg & Seltzer parody movie from the 2000s. Remember those? And most of them made big bank :psyduck:

I CRUSH! your head!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hold myself accountable to Alfred E Neuman, at all times.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

vegetables posted:

Being a UK viewer is maybe a bit different because my experience at least has been to just accept American shows will be full of baffling references to things that I don’t understand— expecting to understand all the references is alien to me, even now.

Like last week I had to look up what IHOP was. “It’s not that loving international!” I shouted at the screen

Do you even have maple syrup in the United Kingdom???

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

laserghost posted:

It's true but mostly because everyone comes through "lol so random!" phase, which then works itself into pop culture omniparody of everything. Add some "they couldn't do it now, because of political correctness!", completely forgetting that those shows were done during bleak conservative cold war times, and nowadays we are worrying about fascism infection on every cultural front and bad actord trolling the public consciousness into indifference towards violence directed at minorites, thus the comedy itswlf had to change from "guys in costumes acting pompous" school of elite UK universities made sketches

Batman is a scientist

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

laserghost posted:

In what brand of science he works? I know it probably depends on which universes' Batman we are talking about

Material Science

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I always assumed Krusty was a riff on Bozo the Clown.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, and as a British kid who never had a clown show, it wasn't hard to go "oh, okay, Bart is into this Clown Guy" when I was 7 and the show was first airing or whatever. Obviously, a lot of the more specific references came later, but that's true of a lot of The Simpsons.

Here's a dark admission: one of my favourite Simpsons lines is a Gil line. I don't remember the episode, just that he sold a car and exclaimed "Oh boy, Gils eating FOOD tonight" in the way most people would exclaim steak or whatever.

And correct me if I am wrong, Gil was a "Glengarry Glen Ross" reference.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poochy was a Cousin Oliver reference.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

My English teacher told me Gil was based on Willy Loman. I’ve been living under that illusion until today.

Could be both!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Now lets talk about Itchy and Scratchy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I'd be interested to know where the goofy, pally clown archetype comes from, because any circus clown I've seen has been closer to a mime. Ronald McDonald and parodies/homages to Bozo probably kept it going.

The Bozo show was the Krusty show. Live studio audience, got a clown onstage.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Simpsons are going to Italy!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Still a thing at any national park visitor center with a theatre playing a video on a loop.

PIllage what I pillage! Flay what I flay!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Yeah watching Citizen Kane for the first time was a lot of, Ohhhh right that make sense now.

Man a lot of kids cartoons loved to parody Citizen Kane. The Godfather as well.

".....Rosebud"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's more of a Shelbyville idea really...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

Reminiscing about the golden era is way less depressing than trying to pinpoint the lowest point.

My question: is the golden era (however you wish to define it) the best TV comedy of all time?

It's easy to forget how groundbreaking the Simpsons were when it first came out.

It was appointment viewing in college, the shared TV room would be packed for the new episode.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What was the East European knock off version of Itchy and Scratchy?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Empires have fallen on smaller schisms

Lord Palmerston!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL I remember being a bit miffed at the Conan O'Brien era at times, because the show became so absurd compared to the more "serious" early seasons.

I was wrong.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

let's look at marge vs. the monorail:
somewhat arbitrary and absurd premise
musical number thrown in
celebrity guest star playing himself (who even lampshades that he contributes very little to the plot!)

all features that contribute to some of the worst episodes of the modern era. but the simpsons still had the mandate of heaven then, and so shrugs off such criticism

Indeed. But it's also fantastically funny. So there's that....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am working on a critical review of "Homer goes to Space", also will tie it to a moon project grant pitch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's funny, Homerpalooza felt tired at the time (IMO!), but I bet if I watched it now I'd love it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Last Chance posted:

One of my fave deliveries in old simpsons is in Lemon of Troy where Abe is telling the group of kids about that the lemon tree had been there since frontier times, the kids uncharacteristically oooh and ahhh and he yells “shut uuup!!” at them

Wow, topical, the couch gag bit for that episode is a Steamboat Willie reference

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Good old Shelbyville Manhattan, the cousin marrier.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol the Nelson and Martin in Shelbyville teamup

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "A car impound lot! The impenetrable fortress of Suburbia!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's a great Milhouse episode. Camo Milhouse. Meeting Shelbyville Milhouse.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

I expect your letter of resignation on my desk. You have a desk? I mean the hood of my car.

"I'm eating my lunch here Director"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

"So this is what it feels like... when doves cry :cry:"

lol Shelbyville Milhouse had him dead to rights too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He also says that they originally split from the Catholic Church over the right to attend church while wearing wet hair. And then adds that the church has since rescinded that right.

Have you actually read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

- Lovejoy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Simpsons peaked as a short sketch on the Tracey Ullman Show.

Fun fact: The first time I saw the Simpsons was at a movie theater, going to see "The War of the Roses".
It was short sketch they played before the movie, featuring Bart at the psychiatrist with family, and he's eating all the candy and loving it.

I laughed hard. War of the Roses? Not as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

On the topic of weird Simpsons inclusions, I've always wondered how dated/realistic Homer's barfly tendencies really were. Growing up I don't think I ever knew anyone who's dad who'd just disappear to bars to 'hang out with the guys'. But I also grew up both in the late 90s/early 00s and on the west coast so I have no idea how common an experience that was.

Felt like more of an Abe Simpson thing.

Anecdote: I identified with Bart a lot because as a child, my Grandmother would drive down to the bar to pick up Gramps, and send me in to get him. When in this dank bar, all the old men would gather and make me sing and dance till he could leave. I dreaded it, but also looked forward to it.