Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The panda rape episode was good except for the panda rape. Merry Fishmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Season 10 had some good eps and some really bad ones, I'd say 11 and 12 were better on average, bland seasons with some kinda ok episodes and gags. 13 had The Old Man and the Key, which had a lot of great gags including the iconic "Old Man Yells at Cloud" but the rest of the season was poo poo. Season 14 the only joke I remember liking was learn to fart.

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah, as of ~2010 you need streaming #s to get a real picture of what's going on. So if, 1:10 of Hulu's 12 mil subscribers watches the Simpsons, that's still significant.

That's still not a very big bump compared to the early years.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think the episode where Rodney Dangerfield played Mr Burns' estranged son and his character got written out at the end was a worse episode than Principal and the Pauper. It had a similar "screw you, we're pretending this never happened" ending and It wasn't even a good use of a talented guest star.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reminder: people who've never had a good Simpsons episode premiere in their lifetime are going to be old enough to vote soon.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Keokuk. Cucamonga. Classic Krusty. :krust:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scudworth posted:

Das Bus is a lovely retelling of Lord of the Flies using Simpson children, a book with almost no comedy to being with.

The Bob's Burgers parodies of Breakfast Club and Stand By Me were way better than Das Bus because they had a consistent amount of jokes all the way through. Das Bus had some good gags early on, before going into "parody" mode and then wrapping up with narration for a non-ending.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What the gently caress? This loving sucks.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like the second Futurama movie but none of them feel much like movies, more like two to three completely seperate episode plots that were kind of tied together.

Personally I liked the premise better when it was in Star Control 2, more subtle about it. "Shall we come to your *house* so that we can be *relatives*?"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

that episode did have one great gag though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt4Ly9_9Qg

You forgot Old Man Yells at Cloud.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

frytechnician posted:

The "Maude Death" episode played a few weeks back - caught it having breakfast at my girlfriend's place as I don't bother having a TV. Holy gently caress, that episode is way, WAY worse than I remembered. It is unbelievably clunky, ham-fisted and unnecessarily cruel & heartless. Most of all, it isn't funny. It just makes you groan and all the voice actors sound like they're reading their lines so slowly and obviously, it's like they're trying to make non-english speakers understand them.

I liked the parrots at the beginning and Hommer's obsession with the free t-shirt and star wipes but everything else in that one was hot garbage.

"Show us your boobs! Show us your boobs!"
\
:parrot:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Seinfeld sucked when Larry David left after season 7

The jerk store called, they're running out of you.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When Paul McCartney finally dies they should have Lisa start eating meat again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

PYF moments from The Simpsons season 14!

14 was so much worse than even 13 and I'm surprised they didn't just kill it then and there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

The cast had to have been what ate up the budget because it sure as hell wasn't the animation. But what a cast

Tales from the Crypt was the same way. Really good character actors and celebrities carrying otherwise bland stories or making great ones even better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15whS2EUz28

Except for the Flying Hellfish episode, the joke always seemed to be that Grampa had all of these ridiculous stories from around that period that were never true.

e: or just terrible stories in general!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9ShccG_SU

Going to start calling next year dickety dickety.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Mission Hill > The Critic :v:

But they're both great shows

That's like comparing finding a hundred dollar bill on the street to winning the lottery. Mission Hill still resonates with me in a way no other show does.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not content with making more bad Simpsons, they've made it so there's officially less good Simpsons.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lisa's parts in Summer of 4'2" were bad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

All the classic era Lisa episodes are great. It wasn't until later when they made her a preachy mouthpiece for the writers.

Lisa the Vegetarian is Season 7.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

lisa the vegetarian is a preachy episode because paul mccartney is a preachy stuck-up fart. he refused to do the show unless her becoming vegetarian would be a permanent change, because it's a serious topic.

I hope the moment he dies the Simpsons writers start having Lisa eat meat again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I didn't hate that one. Largely because I'm a big fan of The Prisoner and appreciated the Patrick McGoohan cameo.

Same.

"If I know me, he won't like being kicked in the crotch!"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eh! Frank posted:

This reminds me, what's the general opinion on the episode where Homer becomes a local celebrity after bowling a perfect game? I think it was season 11 or 12, but I remember loving it when I was a teen. I haven't seen it in years though so I don't know how it holds up.

Unless I'm mixing it up with another episode, it has the "Spare me your gutter mouth!" exchange, as well as "Not Lenny!!!", which I find myself quoting even to this day.

The bowling alley scene's jokes were great but everything after was a huge drop in quality. "I'm not the original Teller" did get a laugh from me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Junk posted:

I think this was actually the episode where I realized the quality had dropped past the point of no return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Agwph2BqB8

Bold new direction for Bob's Burgers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm shocked they had Bart do the floss dance, it's only been unpopular for a few months now. I figured they wouldn't hop on that for a year or two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbsiZQganXc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Irradiation posted:

It also ignores the fact that Homer's half brother, from his dad, was a the CEO of a successful car company. I guess he was dumb enough to trust his newly met sibling with the future of his company, but he then became successful again after single handily inventing a revolutionary and complicated piece of electronics to communicate with babies.

It's the Lisa Episode of Lisa Episodes, not letting anything get in the way of its non-message.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Arbite posted:

The twitching corpse managed to poke something.

Just change it to Trudeau Lover.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Its funny, in the 90s Al Bundy's life was a nightmare but today you look at him with his large house, his (imo) attractive wife and so on, all on a single salary... I'm jealous tbh.

A retail worker's paycheck no less.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

In the reruns, they clip the top and bottom of the shots so they can stretch it into widescreen TVs. So the joke where Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry are all coming out of the same pipe doesn't show. It just looks like 3 different pipes coming from the ceiling.

Although I think I might have heard that Matt Groening pitched such a fit about it that they've gone back to the right aspect ratio.

Reminds me of when Gary Larson complained about the sign for the Haywire factory being cropped from the "Everything's gone you-know-what" strip.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

That means that's the same episode where "don't you hate pants?" comes from, and well that's been in me and my friend's vocabulary for a very long time.

A lot of the episodes from the declining years still have their moments.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1, of course.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I had the same resistance. And I hated the first few episodes because it was very much "dick fart my bitch ex wife lol", but then it settled into being the best Star Trek show in ages. Discovery and Picard are trash and I refuse to watch the lower decks because I hate Rick and Morty.

I watched a few episodes of Lower Drecks but gave up because they relied way too much on monkey cheese and angry screaming as humor.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

There are fully grown adults, with children of their own, who have only known a world where the Simpsons is bad.

You can tell me 9/11 was twenty years ago this September and I wouldn't bat an eye. That there are adults who've never had a good Simpsons episode premier in their lifetime however...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

So is Monkey Dust another name for Danger Mouse* and/or Count Duckula*?

* Note: I haven’t seen either show in thirty years and don’t know how well they hold up.

Monkey Dust was a skit comedy show from the early 2000s that tackled hot button issues of the day (many of which are still relevant) using satire and recurring characters.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'll always argue that Grimes is the real point where the Simpsons stopped caring, not The Principal and the Pauper.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The funniest thing about Homer's food tour of New Orleans was the Binging with Babish guy went to New Orleans to recreate it shot-for-shot. He got down there after planning it for weeks and bringing a whole crew and equipment, and as they were going out for their second day of shooting some random lady went viral by posting a video doing exactly what they planned to do. So they got to watch her viral video get famous while they listlessly rode around New Orleans doing their shots.

Good, gently caress that guy. His thin stew with four kinds of rice looked like garbage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Family Guy had those pre cancelation seasons that were decent, then it has been consistently bad for the last 15-20 years.

They also ran a lot of the jokes from the first few seasons into the ground shortly after it came back, so now the old stuff is worse than when it was new.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

Has there been anything else comparable to the decline of the Simpsons?

Star Wars

e: it even got bought out by Disney like Simpsons did.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I liked The Midnight Gospel a lot.

For some reason Dr. Drew is the first episode but even that one isn't all that bad.

I tried giving it a fair shake until I realized it was just a boring podcast using unrelated cartoon visuals to mask its true nature.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking about Leopold and how both his appearances were the same fakeout gag.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

While the first half of Hurricane Neddy was amazing, the second half is just dull. Though we did get a great Dankmus track out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

Oh god, now that there's gonna be a barbie movie are they going to do a Malibu Stacy parody episode?

They already did it in the panda rape episode.