Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When did they repeat falling down the gorge but as a zany throwaway with none of the consequences that they originally made a big deal about?

About ten years before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Armin's frozen peas is a great episode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sideshow Cecil is a great episode.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neurosis posted:

They had to change Jose Canseco's bit so that the reason he wasn't at the game was because he was being a hero not because he was chained to the bed after a one night stand with Krabapple.

Great change.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Friday Night Lights lacrosse episode is pretty good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't enjoy the episodes where Marge hates her life any more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

alpaca diseases posted:

so does anyone else think homer actually got with mindy, but he was just imagining it's marge to get through guilt etc? that's how, watching it, it initially seemed to me anyway

maybe I missed something though

Isn't "marge" dressed just like Mindy at the end?

Homer's a Bad Man.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there any examples of a celebrity being brought in for a Simpsons episode, seeing how dumb the script is or how retardedly they're used and refusing to do it?

George Takei refused to do the monorail episode because monorails are no laughing matter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bitterandtwisted posted:

what room is homer in here?

Bart or Lisa's bedroom

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't remember the jockey elves episode at all. i'm glad i don't

I'll deal with those murderous trolls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Rick and Morty has some deep sadness to it. If it wasn't for the adventure of course it would just be miserable.

It's written by miserable, broken human beings.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick & Morty is popular because Futurama was the only Sci-Fi comedy on TV for like 10 years and it was originally set for family appeal, which is why the movies and late seasons come off as edgy or cringey, because they started writing toward mature audiences.

Rick & Morty has never been for children and doesn't ever talk down to the viewer, it just talks down to Morty & Jerry. Further, R&M has tons of discussion about morality and emotional availability, like I could bring up more than half the episodes here, but also is zany and madcap and graphic, so it's entertaining to watch and thought provoking, which is rare in modern cartoons.

When's the last time you were watching an animated western show and had to pause it because you were really thinking about what just happened? Rick & Morty does that for a shitload of sadbrainz nerds like me, because it is written by sadbrainz nerds for sadbrainz nerds, and we don't get TV that doesn't treat us the The Big Bang Theory does...

The Big Bang Theory doesn't treat you like anything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frank Grimes Jr. is one of the better Sideshow Bob episodes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

All the Sideshow Bob episodes are golden except the recent one where he uses science to get superpowers or something.

There are a dozen of them including one where he has an Italian family and "vendetta!" makes up half the dialogue.

The one with Niles is the best one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

The Italian family one was good. He has a good thing going and desperately begs the Simpsons not to blow it up and Lisa gets drunk and blows it up. What's not to like?

It's not funny op

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hello, children

My name

is Sideshow

Cecil

Ahem

I have prepared a pie in the face gag.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Untrustable posted:

The worst episode was when Kelsey grammar and David Hyde Pierce played Frasier and Niles Crane playing sideshow Bob and his brother Cecil.

We already decided that's the best one, op

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just make the same show and swap the names around like it's the next generation.

Homer & Marge are the kids, Bart and Lisa the parents.

Simple.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The redone title sequence shoehorned in a lot of awful "jokes" and showcases how slapsticky it's become. If they just redid the animation and left out things like Maggie shaking her fist at the unibrow baby and the car hitting Homer, it would be fine.

What? You can't replace the pie! The pie is the heart of the picture!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ein cooler Typ posted:

women can't rape men

That's sexist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Like they have some kind of zany premise like giant Guinea Pigs attack the town because Homeland Security cracked down on Peruvian Flute bands and that's... kind of it, the zaniness of the plot is the joke and they don't go much further than that.

But the joke in those episodes is Craig telling the main kids that they enable all these wacky adventures to happen every week. They can just walk away at any point and things won't get worse/sillier. They're to blame.

And then he's the chosen one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Strong Marge and Implants Marge are cornerstone episodes.

I remember them fondly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Reboot it to be an even more deliberate period piece set in the late 80s so it's easier to remember classic simpsons and happier times.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

Lol southparks take was to hit kids and tell them to study it's not a misinterpretation. These are the same dudes who think climate change isn't real.

They just did a two-parter apologising to Al Gore.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

That's also just such a lazy dumb line, like OH THAT'S NOT RIGHT, the one line that grates on me in Galaxy Quest. Like, that's just such a stock, grab-bag line, like it's just a thing you say because that's the thing you say in that situation. No imagination or invention to it. You couldn't have come up with something with a character-based twist or something surprising like the Pope thing above?

"Hey we have a sportscaster making commentary, better have him say OHHH THAT'S GOTTA HURT"

And that's a bad miss.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Peter Griffin was raped by a bull.
Hank Hill was raped by a dolphin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last few American Dads are indistinguishable from bad SImpsons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Francine takes up bodybuilding, has wild sex and gets mad at Homer.

Guy Fieri comes to Springfield how wacky and fun!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sounds about average?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I remember an episode where the wife realises there's a stranger in the house when they turn the fan on in the bathroom.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

I’d say only 14 and 15 show that improvement, as 13 starts with the godawful simpsons cross over and probably has other garbage in it

You should just go straight to American dad and start with season 2 or 3. It didn’t know what kind of show it was in season 1 and those episodes are way worse, then by season 3 it’s found it’s pattern. Once you get to season 8 or so it just becomes a steady improvement to where I’d say the current American dad is as good a use of the medium as any golden age simpsons episode. Season 15 has been nonstop gold, and season 14 didn’t have a single bad episode. I think out of the whole run there are two episodes I don’t like, maybe 3, and they’re all musicals

American Dad is so good. It really sets a new bar for the fox style animated sitcom

The latest seasons of American dad have been awful. It's just non sequiturs, silly noises, some swears/gore and reheated bits (not even jokes) from previous, good episodes. Compared to Family Guy it's now the lol so randumb Seth McFarlane show.

It's got the same problem The Simpsons had where eventually it was just being written by fans of the show (who definitely had their own terrible webcomics in the early 00's).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

This might be the wrongest cartoon opinion I’ve ever seen. It specifically ditched non sequiturs for surrealism and character driven humor, you’re describing the earlier seasons, if anything

You're describing the show before it changed networks.

Simple rule - if it has a cold open it's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

You Are A Elf posted:

Principal Lewis had this mysterious untold backstory used sparingly in the early seasons that made him great.

I am the only Goon apparently that never really liked the overused "[NOUN], BITCHES! *flips off everybody*" rear end in a top hat Lewis that came with the later seasons, but they seem to have dialed him back since.

Lewis is proof that if The Simpsons had played Poochie (or Roy) straight goons would have loved him.

Quirky, lol so random, focus-grouped edge is like crack to some people (Lewis likes crack haha... and so does Bullock as they're literally the same character).